IGNORED

If you had to play the worst games.....

liquid_sky

I had Super Zaxxon for the Atari 400/800 and I thought it sucked donkey balls. It was so slow and choppy and the colors were all whacked out you'd swear it was a direct port from the Apple IIe (actually it looked just like it). I certainly hope the C-64 version was better. Why was Zaxxon so good and Super Zaxxon so bad?

I don't know about that EPROM rumor but I've seen a few opened Zaxxon carts with EPROMs in them (I've never opened mine, but I saw someone selling them on Ebay). It could be true, I don't know why they would do that though.

Tempest

quote:

Originally posted by utamav91:

Sorry, but back in the day, Zaxxon rocked!!!

Man, 2600 (And Intellivision) Zaxxon was terrible! The Colecovision version was very good though. I'm really surprised they actually made the attempt to port this game to the VCS though... I suppose it's about as good as we could have hoped for.

--Zero

Maybe I'll get chewed out for this, but I remember "Journey: Escape" with the least fondness. I could never run fast enough to avoid all the hearts AND get to the destination on time. Here was my collection as a kid:

Combat

Haunted House

Pac-Man

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Pole Position

Dig Dug

H.E.R.O

Journey: Escape

Cosmic Ark

Star Wars: Jedi Arena

Q-Bert

Ya know until I finally got a hold of the manual I couldn't even tell what the hell was going on in Journey Escape (WTF are those little hearts with legs?). Even after I figured it out I never played it more than once because it was just plain dumb. But wait, it's got Journey in it! Steve Perry is so dreamy.... (ack!)

Tempest

lol Tempest... the manual is full of "all the fans suck" messages; if you read the descriptions of the "enemies" it will make you wonder if Journey was trying to shoo away fans. Those little hearts with legs are the fans, and according to this game, running into fans is bad.

It's almost like a parody of game that would be shown on the Simpsons. The only good thing I can say about that game is the music was duplicated very well into the Atari system.

We have the Journey record, and since the game shares the same cover art as the album, we bought it on impulse.

Battlezone? You actually list Battlezone on the WORST list? I think it's one of the better games out there for the 2600. Sure it doesn't have vector graphics but those would be impossible to do on a 2600 (look how much trouble Star Wars the Arcade Game had and it only uses limited vector graphics).

Am I the only person who likes Demons to Diamonds? I have fond memories of kicking my brothers ass at that game.

Tempest

I remember going to a pawn shop back in '84 or so and getting 3 games. I got:

1. Star Trek: Tactical Simulator

2. Congo Bongo

3. Krull

Star Trek was really a good game, and the joystick overlay definitely was cool. Congo Bongo was one of the worst games I had played on the 2600...but it was quickly replaced by Krull as my most disliked game on the 2600.

Top 5 worst 2600 games:

1. Krull

2. Congo Bongo

3. Pac-Man

4. Donkey Kong Jr.

5. Strawberry Shortcake (sorry Tempest)

And yes, Battlezone was a good game, but Robot Tank was so much better.

Dude, Battlezone was great on 2600, they made a great port with no vectors. I never played Robot Tank until i got the ROM, so I guess im spoiled on Battlezone, my dad would seriously hide the game from me so when I went off looking for it he would play it.. sad but true.

One more bad game comes to mind, 2600 Amidar

Robot Tank kicked butt because it used a similar damage model to Starmaster. You could get hit and have one of 6 things happen.

1) Your tracks go out and you are rendered immobile.

2) Your radar goes out and you can't see the enemy on the scope.

3) Your gun goes out and you can't shoot.

4) Your visuals go out and the screen flickers open and closed.

5) Nothing happens.

6) You are destroyed.

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

Even after I figured [Journey Escape] out I never played it more than once because it was just plain dumb

I actually sorta like JE. It's not an amazing game, but it's kinda fun in a pinch. Granted, it's nowhere near Solaris or Dark Chambers, but it's no E.T.

(By the way, I put in another vote for Battlezone as a great game!)

--Zero

quote:

Originally posted by Bob Bytchin:

Robot Tank kicked butt because it used a similar damage model to Starmaster. You could get hit and have one of 6 things happen.

1) Your tracks go out and you are rendered immobile.

2) Your radar goes out and you can't see the enemy on the scope.

3) Your gun goes out and you can't shoot.

4) Your visuals go out and the screen flickers open and closed.

5) Nothing happens.

6) You are destroyed.

Bob is totally right and acheives maximum accuracy on this one.

Robot Tank (especially with the low-visibility fog scenario) actually gave you a feeling of hunting other tanks, rather than Battlezone's "here I am in an open field that never changes, a big juicy blip of a target the size of football stadium and about as stealthy on your radar, no matter how much I move, I'm so toast..."

At least in Radar Tank, there was a sense of accomplishment. Suspense. Drama. The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. That game rocked so hard.

Still can't believe everyone was so tough on Zaxxon...