IGNORED

Atari 2600 console worth $100.00?

YarsRevengeFan

I went to my local flea market and talked to a vendor who showed me an Atari 2600 console that he said was was a California console. He flipped it over and showed me the sticker that said it was made in California. I don't remember seeing a serial number on it, & I think it was a 6 switch and the console was HEAVY. He said that there is a metal plate in it to cut down the amount of interference. The console looked in good condition and he said it worked great.

So my question is, is it really worth $100.00??

Warning...Will Robinson Danger!!! Danger!!!

Okay...what you saw was what we officially call the Heavy Sixer models. These are the very first models of the 2600 which were made by Atari.

All the Heavy Sixer were made in Sunnyvale Calif. And a lot of the later models were as well. I don't think that changed until the revival years when the 7800 and Jr were officially released.

Anyway, the metal plate is simple the 1/4 inch thick metal casing that the entire 2600 main logics are housed in. That is what make the unit so heavy.

Is it worth the $100. No...simply it is not.

Perhaps if it were boxed complete and had a slew of games he was tossing into the deal...then perhaps. But a loose Heavy Sixer isn't worth anymore than most other Atari consoles.

The Heavy Sixers are a tad more rare given their age and the fact that Atari didn't make as many of them as say the model 2 6 switch and 4 switch units. But they aren't That rare to be worth that much!

In fact...there is a flea market here that has (last I counted...) at least 3 true Heavy Sixers. For the cost of 29 bucks you get the console, Power Supply, RF switch box, 1 controller and a game.

No box...no docs. But that is his standard fare.

My thinking is that the dude does know of the recent trend in retrogaming and is simply trying to pull a fast one over the non educated.

Be Warned..and always should you be in doubt, consult others.

Basically I wouldn't pay more than maybe 50 bucks for a CIB one and I would still expect a game or two to be thrown in.