Asteroids what happened???

kevin242

There are so many great arcade conversions for the 8bit, so why did they

drop the ball with Asteroids? They could of made a much better game,

of course it's easy to say now looking back after all the cool effects and

coding that we have all witnissed but even taking into account that

Asteroids was an early game why couldn't they at least make it as good

as the 2600 version?? It is ugly and the ship firesin a wierd way like it's

shooting out the side of its nose... why oh why did they do this?

kvn

If....when...why...what

Where's the answer to find? Nobody knows...

If you try to follow all threads about Graph2fnt and Pokey-Sound you will fast come to the answer...

When the HW is a "thousand" times better than the available games still showing...

Why are the games not as twice as good created or converted... at least.

I guess the answer is "Money"...

If....when...why...what

Where's the answer to find? Nobody knows...

If you try to follow all threads about Graph2fnt and Pokey-Sound you will fast come to the answer...

When the HW is a "thousand" times better than the available games still showing...

Why are the games not as twice as good created or converted... at least.

I guess the answer is "Money"...

:?

Whats wrong with Asteroids? Didnt come out too bad IMHO. I think back then you had deadlines and also a need to make it a bit different so folks wanted to buy it (think 112 variations of Space Invaders!). Asteroids in the 8bit has some nice twists to and and plays well. If they just used a bit higher rez and left the asteroids empty it prob wouldve looked more like the arcade.

Also remember the 800 was a color computer - putting out a B&W game back then prob didnt sit well.

black and white? I am comparing it to the 2600 version!! Which is more

fun and more colorful. I dont think they could of made a arcade realistic

version at least not in those early days but they could of at least released

one up to the quality of the 2600

kvn

i cant stand asteroids for the 2600 now, when i was 12 it was alright, but now, god no!

i cant play for the life of me with a joystick :| **left handed**

sometimes i can get on a roll with the NGC controller when playing , but it still sucks big time!!!

i need the pc keyboard or a coin op, then i will kick ass all night long :D

id like to play someone in asteroids, the greatest feeling for me when playing against someone else, is by making them wait a loooong time before its there turn ;)

Most Games incl. Asteriods didn't even reach the half of what the A8 could do...

True. I still wouldn't call this version "bad" though. "Not as good as it could/should have been" perhaps but not really a bad translation. It's ten times better than the 2600 version, IMHO.

I know this is going to sound crazy, but when I was a very youg kid we had an atari 400. And for some reason I specifically remember playing asteroids with arcade-like graphics (white outlines on a black background) Then I recently found the machine that I used to use way back then and the asteroids cart was still in it and they were blue when I fired it up. Boy was I dissapointed when I found out I had remembered wrong for so many years.

I think I remember the asteroids being hollow (vector) like in the arcade. And I was never in the arcade by that age. Maybe my memory is just playing tricks on me ;)

There was a version that featured the vector-like rocks that was widely passed around (i.e. - pirated) back in the day. I had a copy of that one too. I’m almost 100% certain that it was a hack and never officially released on either cart or disk.

I think I remember the asteroids being hollow (vector) like in the arcade. And I was never in the arcade by that age. Maybe my memory is just playing tricks on me ;)

There was a version that featured the vector-like rocks that was widely passed around (i.e. - pirated) back in the day. I had a copy of that one too. I’m almost 100% certain that it was a hack and never officially released on either cart or disk.

Well we only had like 4 cartriges and I remember playing asteroids off of a cart.

Does anyone have the .atr of that pirate version?

I saw a couple of Apple versions, but I don't remember one that was even close to the arcade version.

HUH?? How about Asteroid Field...which was nearly flawless? There were also clones of other vector games that were done equally well, like Star Thief (Rip Off), and Raiders Of The Lost Ring (Star Castle).

I found it on langesite.com but it deffinitely isn't the one I remember. So I guess it looks like I remembered wrong. It is the one named "Asteroids -OSB"  

Nope. That's not the one that I was talking about. The one I had was the Atari version but the Asteroids were empty. I've still got it on disk but I can't seem to locate an ATR of it anywhere.