IGNORED

High Score Club Week 4: Megamania!

Ze_ro

Oh boy... I had a feeling something like this might happen. Maybe from now on, if you max out the score, you should probably time yourself and post how long it took too. Don't know if that will even help much, but if we don't do something, then we'll end up having 12 people in "1st" place.

Frankly, I never really liked Megamania much. It always seemed like yet another space shooter with no real exceptional qualities... but it's a fun game, and the varying patterns set it apart I suppose. Anyways, I gave it a run and got 52,270. Looks like I have a long way to go...

--Zero

I asked a question in regards to the difficulty level.

I'm playing Megamania on my 7800 and I'm not sure if it needs to be set to either 1, 2,3 or 4 for difficulty.

It's a frustrating game once you get into the later levels. I do know that I can break 100k if I'm focused (though I never did it before).

Oh boy... I had a feeling something like this might happen. Maybe from now on, if you max out the score, you should probably time yourself and post how long it took too. Don't know if that will even help much, but if we don't do something, then we'll end up having 12 people in "1st" place.

Well, I like homer's suggestion (number of men left when score maxes out). Or you could just do it in the order that people get the max score.

My high score on this (from a long time ago) is only like 70k. I'm sure I can beat that with practice, but I doubt I'll ever get 999,999! I think it's a fun game though.

Honestly, I don't think that works. If the game itself doesn't measure time then time isn't a part of the game and it shouldn't be the basis for one's score.

What does it matter if several people max the score and tie for first place? IMO, anyone maxing the score should earn first place points.

Well this is one I don't have, and from I've read so far a ROM is not available, so I guess I'm out of this one. As for the ties for first I would agree with Sly. Anyone that maxes out the score should be entitled to 1st place points.

- Sal

Heheh... the manual scan shows what each enemy is.

Level 1 - Hamburgers

Level 2 - Cookies

Level 3 - Bugs

Level 4 - Radial Tires

Level 5 - Diamonds

Level 6 - Steam Irons

Level 7 - Bow Ties

Level 8 - Space Dice

And in the Atari 5200 version of Megamania, they would probably look much more like the objects they're supposed to represent, but since I don't have that game, I can't test that. =(

I wish I still had the normal, orange version of this game, but that went DOA a long time ago. I don't like the blue cart nearly as much, and the only redeeming factor of that is that it's rare. I'm gonna look Megamania up on eBay later and get myself that orange cart back.

Well this is one game I can honestly say that I truly suck at. I coulda probably did far better in Mario Bro's but circumstances didn't allow it.

Like my 6 year old son asking 20 million questions while I'm trying to play. Daddy.. What's this?, Why are you doing that? What is that glowy thing? Blah Blah Blah! :x

Not that I woulda come close to the better scores but still.

Man and I trained myself on the faster shots. Never have even tried the slow ones. :( :(

Honestly, I don't think that works. If the game itself doesn't measure time then time isn't a part of the game and it shouldn't be the basis for one's score.

What does it matter if several people max the score and tie for first place? IMO, anyone maxing the score should earn first place points.

I agree. I don't think it's a big deal to have people tied for 1st. Especially since this is all only in fun.

Well, I like homer's suggestion (number of men left when score maxes out).

I doubt that will work... Megamania is pretty generous with the extra lives, so I would guess that by the time someone is good enough to max out the score, they will likely max out the life counter too.

I was hoping that choosing the slower shots would make it a bit more challenging, but it doesn't seem to make much difference. I knew the guided missiles would be easier than the straight missiles, but somehow it just doesn't seem like Megamania without the guided shots.

Oh well, since no one seems too worried about this, I guess we'll just keep going the way we're going, and everyone who maxes out the score will get 12 Fuji's.

--Zero

I'm playing Megamania on my 7800 and I'm not sure if it needs to be set to either 1, 2,3 or 4 for difficulty.

Play on Game 1... that should be single player, guided missles... but set the difficulty switches to A so that the shots fire slower.

--Zero

Play on Game 1... that should be single player, guided missles... but set the difficulty switches to A so that the shots fire slower.

--Zero

Umm, a 7800 doesn't have difficulty switches does it?

:ponder:

Heheh... the manual scan shows what each enemy is.

Level 1 - Hamburgers

Level 2 - Cookies

Level 3 - Bugs

Level 4 - Radial Tires

Level 5 - Diamonds

Level 6 - Steam Irons

Level 7 - Bow Ties

Level 8 - Space Dice

And in the Atari 5200 version of Megamania, they would probably look much more like the objects they're supposed to represent, but since I don't have that game, I can't test that. =(

I wish I still had the normal, orange version of this game, but that went DOA a long time ago. I don't like the blue cart nearly as much, and the only redeeming factor of that is that it's rare. I'm gonna look Megamania up on eBay later and get myself that orange cart back.

Space Dice....

Looks more like asteroids or popcorn to me. :D

Level 1 - Hamburgers  

Level 2 - Cookies  

Level 3 - Bugs  

Level 4 - Radial Tires  

Level 5 - Diamonds  

Level 6 - Steam Irons  

Level 7 - Bow Ties  

Level 8 - Space Dice

Electronic Games printed their Megamania review before the game was released, and apparently without an instruction manual handy. They identified the cookies as "cheese," the bugs as "french fries," the irons as "vacuum cleaners" and the dice as "popcorn." I still think of the EG definitions rather than Activision's.

I just could not see how those yellow things were dice until the 5200 edition came out and I realized that they were supposed to be rolling. Still looks like popcorn.

Hello all

I got my 999,999 this morning and thought to myself too that we may have a problem adjusting the highscore listing because so many players may get the 999,999 mark. If we wanted to bump the competition up a notch why dont we make it how many points we can get on 1Ship? Just a thought .

Todd Mr Activision Rogers

Hello all

I got my 999,999 this morning and thought to myself too that we may have a problem adjusting the highscore listing because so many players may get the 999,999 mark. If we wanted to bump the competition up a notch why dont we make it how many points we can get on 1Ship? Just a thought .  

Todd Mr Activision Rogers

That might be something to consider if playing any of the other Activision titles that have maxed score (Laser Blast, anyone?) For now, let's see how many people actually get to 999,999.

I'd really like to have a Megamania contest at one of the expos and compete for speed, who can max out the fastest.

There are quite a few strategies for increasing the rate at which one can score points which haven't be discussed here at all. Right, Todd?