IGNORED

HAUNTED ADVENTURE final soon (Adventure + Haunted House)

atwwong

Although I enjoyed the spooky atmosphere of Haunted House, I thought of it as a sequel to Adventure and I always felt that Haunted House could have been better with more rooms, objects, monsters, and secrets.

I hacked Adventure to look vaguely like Haunted House using CYOA and browsing through many of Nukey's and others' numerous posts. Sorry I don't have decent programming skills; this is mainly a graphical hack, but has some functional changes including mazes. I did not use the optimized source, but this allowed me to play with the b/w switch for colour effects. Please let me know what you think. (This is my first hack.) Game 3 is working; the setup of the mazes and objects in game 2 initially had me worried. I hope to finish the hack soon; I'll try to work on it as much as possible but I'm starting graduate studies next week. I'm planning to ask Atari Age to help me make a cart and manual; everyone is making this a fun activity and I hope you enjoy playing it!

The story is: In the 1980's, a magical urn was discovered in Grave's Manor despite the rumours of people being frightened to death in the old house. Unfortunately, Old Man Grave's body was desecrated during the discovery. His tomb was dug up and his head removed. Now Old Man Graves is really pis - I mean, restless, and the town of Spirit Bay will be cursed until it is returned to his tomb. Some people say that the ghost of Old Man Graves has disturbed the slumber of other malevolent spirits... yaddah yaddah yaddah...

I'll fix the story more in the manual...

(The older versions are here for reference)

rc02 has minor graphical fixes.

rc03 has more graphical fixes.

http://atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p...p=601490#601490

rc04 has coding changes and minor graphics fix...

http://atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p...p=601937#601937

rc05 final? more changes...

http://atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p...p=604738#604738

rc06 longer ladder - see below for file

http://atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p...p=604981#604981

rc07 fixed cavern mazes - removed glitches and minor re-design

http://atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p...p=605300#605300

adventhh_rc02.zip

haunted_adventure___rc04.zip

haunted_adventure___rc05.zip

haunted_adventure___rc06.zip

haunted_adventure___rc07.zip

Very very cool

Thanks for the compliments! I feel honoured considering the company that I'm in. I've enjoyed playing all these hacks you guys have made so I'm glad to be able to contribute to the community. :D

Were you addicted to AM CYOA editor and Nukeys hack by chance.

Yes, I found them both at about the same time. Since I've always been an adventure game fan, those resources got my excitement and creativity flowing. It would be neat to figure out how to add more rooms, but that's beyond me for now. I'm glad those guys spent time to share their knowledge and work with the hacking community.

I've made a small graphical update, and removed the undocumented "Children's difficulty level " (rc02 - see first post). If the mazes are too frustrating, I can add it back, but then the game gets too easy.

Out_of_Gas, I love the cart label!!! 8)

Also, Haunted Adventure seems like a better name for it. Can I use your label for my avatar, too?

How much more work does the hack need to be finalized? (i.e., does game 3 have to work? Hmmm... a cart? If you guys think it's good enough.)

Why is your user name Out_of_Gas when you're speeding ahead with so many great hacks? :)

Am I asking too many questions?

Very creative, atwwong. That's a cool idea for an adventure hack. I played it for a few minutes this morning, and I really like the room & maze changes. I'll have some more time to play it longer later tonight.

Glad to see someone released a hack using my editor, too. ;) :D

If you are going to release it on cart, all three games need to work, bug free.
I've been going through game 3 and have been able to win each time so far... I thought some items might not be reachable because of being stuck in walls due to weird placements in game two, but things have worked out with a helping hand... :D

This looks very interesting. Can't wait to get a chance to play it.
Thanks for the encouragement, Stan Jr.!

Glad to see someone released a hack using my editor, too.
See, all your hard work has paid off!!! :D

AM, if you get a chance, could you please try out all three game levels to see if this hack is ready to be released?

I've started the manual but I'll have to get to sleep and work tomorrow - darned real life. Anyways, I'll keep you posted.

Out_of_Gas, if you don't mind, I'm going to officially name the hack Haunted Adventure (I'll give you credit in the manual). My wife likes that name better, too! :D

Again Nukey, thanks for posting all your Adventure info! 8)

This is pretty darn amazing. WOW. I only played around with game 1 a bit, but its sweet. I plan to give this a much more thorough look later tonight. Wow. Nice work.

Couple of things, shouldn't the sword be the scepter from HH? And the ghosts are a little pac-man-ish rather than Haunted House-ish. Just observations, pay me no mind if you like. :) :)

A very promising hack.

This is pretty darn amazing. WOW.
Thanks for taking a look at the hack and the compliments, Stan Jr.! At first I was doing this just for fun, but now I'm doing it for fun AND seriously considering making this into a cart with a manual (maybe I'll ask AA to help), so I appreciate all the play testing and the critiques.

Couple of things, shouldn't the sword be the scepter from HH?
With my limited hacking skills, these were the best compromises I could make (unless I can figure out how to make the object bigger). Should I make it face the other way? It faces that way in Haunted House, although at a diagonal. And if I put too much detail on the sceptre, it would look like a blob and not be the right proportions. :sad:

And the ghosts are a little pac-man-ish rather than Haunted House-ish.
The same with the ghosts - the Haunted House ghost actually looks too cute or goofy when floating around, so I thought a symmetrical ghost would look better and I could have more freedom trying to scare people. It wasn't my intention to make them look like Pac-man ghosts (aarugh! Must get that thought out of my head!)

Nevertheless, it's great to get constructive criticisms and suggestions. Thanks for the thoughts; I'll play around with certain small details in the gameplay of game two and graphics to see if there's any improvement. I wonder what others think of the sceptre and ghosts. :ponder:

Thanks Out_of_Gas for the new label and helping with new graphics! I'm still tweaking before I release the improvements...

Pretty insane. I managed to open a castle and kill a few ghosts, but boy did I get lost!
That was the idea with the new mapping! :D

Ugh! I'm up way too late playtesting. I'll post Release Candidate 3 tomorrow (May 4th) evening... :)

That was the idea with the new mapping! :D

)

Yes, if ANY game needs mind boggling mazes it is THIS one. A Haunted house has loads of false passages and confusing hallways, this PERFECTLY fits with that idea. I don't like getting lost, but if it fits SO well with the theme of the game as it does here, then I am ALL for it.

Personally, I like the new scepter. :)

I'll be doing a LOT more playtesting of this tonight! Thanks :) :)

Pretty cool...though there are a couple things to be aware of...

The bridge is shorter in height, but the boundries for it remain unchanged. The game code checks to see if you are within 30 scanlines to move through it...this number will need to be lowered to match up with the new bridge size.

;checking the horizontal differences...

LDA    $8B           ;3 Player's X

SEC                  ;2

SBC    $BD           ;3 Subtract bridge's X

CMP    #$0A          ;2 difference <$0A?

BCC    ReadStick     ;2 if so, skip

CMP    #$17          ;2 difference $>17?

BCS    ReadStick     ;2 if so, skip
;checking the vertical differences...

LDA    $BE           ;3 bridge's Y

SEC                  ;2

SBC    $8C           ;3 Subtract playerY

CMP    #$FC          ;2 difference >$FC?

BCS    NoCollision   ;2 if so, moving through bridge

CMP    #$19          ;2 difference >$19?

BCS    ReadStick     ;2 if so, skip
;No collision (going through bridge)

NoCollision:

That lower $19 value will need adjusting :)

Also, since the bridge only allows movement within 2 horizontal pixel widths, it might be impossible to move through it if the magnet changes it's X location by 1 (though I'm not sure about that). The player vs. object X differences get thrown off by 1 each time you move across a screen boundry (which is why sometimes you can slide along the castle gate area, and other times you can't).

Wow! I am impressed by all the support this hack is getting. I want to thank everyone for helping make this much better and helping me with my limited hacking skills. First , the belated release rc03:

Changes since rc02

Graphics:

-new numbers in level select room

-new ghost and sceptre graphics suggested by Out_of_Gas - what does everyone think of the new ghosts?

-changed name to Haunted Adventure :D

To Do for rc04:

Functional:

-fix the ladder/bridge as noticed by Pixellated Ghost (thanks) and suggested by Nukey (thanks Nukey, I was going to ask you! I will credit you in the manual!!!) :D

-try to get rid of "Yorgle's" fear of the "yellow" key

Graphics:

-ghosts?

-portcullises/gates?

Any other suggestions? Has anyone figured out game 2 yet? :ponder:

haunted_adventure___rc03.zip