IGNORED

Kaboom 2 SNES

Elvis8Atari

I still wonder why the paddle didn't survive into the 90's... If they can find room for an analog joystick on Dreamcast, PSX, and N64 joysticks, you'd think they could find room for even a small dial. I'm sure it would be pretty useful in a lot of situations.

--Zero

Playstation Activision Classics contained the original Kaboom but once again, without paddles it just wasn't fun. I wonder how it would be with the steering wheel. I never tried it. Personally I would like to see Kaboom 2 go to Nintendo gamecube if anywhere. The Madbomber would make a great hidden character for Super Smah Bros. Melee. Well, here's hoping.

>mike

Yes, I was present at the Summer CES where River Raid II and Kaboom II were displayed but only played them briefly.

This was the following year after Pitfall The Mayan Adventures was released for the SNES and Activision whipped up these two remakes to see if the fans were interested.

Apparently they weren't.

Kaboom II seemed real one dimensional (what little I played of it) and River Raid II seemed like the original only with better graphics.

I'm surprised that a beta copy was never leaked.

After all, Star Fox 2 can be downloaded and played on a SNES emulator so if a rare game from the big "N" can get leaked maybe these two can too?

Some information about the game I found out from Tom Sloper-

I wanted the SNES version to incorporate at least SOME principles from the original Kaboom. I envisioned a game in which the player would have to catch bombs, so they wouldn't hit the ground and explode. The SNES had a graphics ability called "mode 7" that allowed rotation of the ground. So we were going to have a large circular area, and the player would have to run around the circle. In the center was a sort of bomb launcher that would shoot bombs up into the air (up beyond the top of the viewable display). Shadows of the bombs would be on the ground, indicating the direction the player should run to catch the bomb. But after a start on making the program, Sculptured said the design was too flawed. I agreed that it was. I had a number of other projects going on at that time (this was a period in Activision's history in which there was only a small staff), and the project was dropped entirely.

A couple of years later I was producing a PlayStation game from England. Marketing wanted to call the game BLAST CHAMBER, and so did I. Company executives wanted to call the game KABOOM 2, but I felt that the game (although it involved explosions) was much too far removed from the original KABOOM. My marketing counterpart and I pitched the two titles to magazine editors, and they agreed that BLAST CHAMBER was the more appropriate title.

And that's the KABOOM 2 story! -- Tom

http://www.geocities.com/elvis8atari

Thanks,

Mike