IGNORED

High Score Club Week 6: Kaboom!

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss Kaboom, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

Emergency! A terrorist bomber atop a local building is tossing bombs everywhere! Quick! Grab a bucket of water and try to save the city, because this week's game is Kaboom!

Game Information
Left Difficulty A / Expert (Small Buckets)
Right Difficulty Not Applicable
Game Mode Game 1: 1 Player
Chosen By the 5th ghost

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Sunday, May 16th at midnight (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules.

Unfortunately, AtariAge's Profile Page for this game does not have a link to download the ROM, but you can find such things as a typed copy of the manual, reviews, screenshots, and other information there.

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a reply saying so, and I'll add you to the list!

Next week's game will be chosen by johnnywc. Please send me a private message with your choice as soon as possible johnnywc!

Scores for This Game:

• [*]silverfuji.gif123,452 (sku_u)
[+10]
[*]bronzefuji.gif19,689 (Chris++) [+8]
[*]15,390 (the 5th ghost) [+7]
[*]9533 (bobafett07728) [+6]
[*]4116 (The 8th Passenger) [+5]
[*]3910 (Saldo) [+4]
[*]3764 (Jeffy Arensmeyer) [+3]
[*]3685 (Shannon) [+2]
[*]3678 (chrisbid) [+1]
[*]3280 (Numan)
[*]2730 (Christophero Sly)
[*]2591 (Ze_ro)
[*]2577 (taxman)
[*]2499 (stayrunner)
[*]2350 (gospeedde)
[*]2252 (iguana)
[*]2094 (DeV0)
[*]2062 (Happy_Dude)
[*]1907 (dykesr)
[*]1900 (InanimateCarbonRod)
[*]1882 (Thomas Jentzsch)
[*]1867 (jeepnut24)
[*]1770 (gamerz)
[*]1764 (jedijeff)
[*]1751 (Keir)
[*]1605 (video game addict)
[*]1572 (Robert M)
[*]1481 (mikeftrevino)
[*]1461 (128bytes)
[*]1432 (Kurushimi)
[*]1248 (shining slade)
[*]845 (homerwannabee)
[*]836 (NE146)
[*]787 (Kialan)
[*]733 (Tsukasa)
[*]720 (Bunsen)
[*]618 (Scooterb23)
[*]419 (atari_wizard)
[*]303 (Gamemaster_ca_2003)

Statistics:
  • Average Score: 29,913
    [*]Std. Deviation: 24,045
    [*]Total Score: 1,196,554

Best Tips:

TwinGalaxies Top 3:
  • 15,877 (Douglas Korekach)
    [*]4951 (Steven Reisenberger)
    [*]4616 (Ron Corcoran)

• [*]Todd Rogers
[36]
[*]jedijeff [35]
[*]Ze_ro [28]
[*]stayrunner [22]
[*]Jeffy Arensmeyer [21]
[*]sku_u [19]
[*]taxman [19]
[*]Stingray [17]
[*]bjk7382 [15]
[*]bobafett07728 [13]
[*]HermChase [13]
[*]homerwannabee [12]
[*]Christophero Sly [12]
[*]Saldo [10]
[*]Thomas Jentzsh [8]
[*]Keir [7]
[*]Numan [7]
[*]mikeftrevino [7]
[*]Kurushimi [6]
[*]Paul Slocum [6]
[*]Goochman [5]
[*]StanJr [5]
[*]DeV0 [4]
[*]Chris++ [3]
[*]maibock [2]
[*]InanimateCarbonRod [0]
[*]Kepone [0]
[*]shining slade [0]
[*]chrisbid [0]
[*]Saikyo [0]
[*]moycon [0]
[*]gamerz [0]
[*]LarcenTyler [0]
[*]Shannon [0]
[*]Robert M [0]
[*]video game addict [0]
[*]LU8 [0]
[*]fsuinnc [0]
[*]gospeedde [0]
[*]Albert [0]
[*]pmpddytim [0]
[*]pitfallaimee [0]
[*]Happy_Dude [0]
[*]Kialan [0]
[*]xmetalhedx [0]
[*]Gamemaster_ca_2003 [0]
[*]Dan Iacovelli [0]
[*]Scooterb23 [0]
[*]Adrian M [0]
[*]intvgene [0]
[*]ScottHuggins [0]
[*]jeepnut24 [0]
[*]figgler [0]
[*]128bytes [0]
[*]Old_Atarian [0]
[*]hobbles [0]
[*]Tsukasa [0]
[*]iguana [0]
[*]johnnywc [0]
[*]NintendoDieScreaming [0]
[*]PaulEMoz [0]
[*]lost child [0]
[*]Nateo [0]
[*]The 8th Passenger [0]
[*]chadtower [0]
[*]Big Player [0]

Member List
johnnywc, jedijeff, maximebeauvais, bjk7382, HermChase, Goochman, NE146, Cootster, 128bytes, Kurushimi, liquid_sky, intvgene, ScottHuggins, InanimateCarbonRod, pmpddytim, Xot, Scooterb23, Dan Iacovelli, LarcenTyler, sku_u, Luigi301, Max-T, adams_ale, gamerz, Christophero Sly, Trooper, Nateo, homerwannabee, lost child, Happy_Dude, video game addict, Spirantho, bobafett07728, mikefrevino, Paul Slocum, fsuinnc, Gamemaster_ca_2003, Robert M, DeV0, Gateway, Mendon, Fretwobbler, PaulEMoz, killersquirel, shining slade, chadtower, gospeedde, stayrunner, Big Player, Swingtown, Chris++, hotpants, hobbles, Ze_ro, maibock, moycon, somePUNK, Saldo, Stingray, Kepone, xmetalhedx, chrisbid, Kialan, Jeffy Arensmeyer, Keir, ToddRogers, Numan, iguana, LU8, jeepnut24, Albert, Tsukasa, Adrian M, dykesr, EricDeLee, Thomas Jentzsch, The 8th Passenger, the 5th ghost, Bunsen, atari_wizard

Scoring in Kaboom! - Yes, after 999,999 (?)

Hints and Tips
As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well no problem, because AtariAge has a scanned copy of the manual available online right over here.

What's that? You're too damn lazy to click that link? Well fine, here's the hints that that the manual gives:
  • To do well at Kaboom!, you'll need all the reflexes, endurance, and concentration you can muster. Don't be frustrated if things don't go well at first. It takes a fair amount of practice, especially to catch the bombs at higher speeds.
    [*]You'll notice that you'll be improving in stages. The first plateau is the 1000 point mark. Mastery at Bomb Groups 5 and 6 is necessary to do well here. Conquering Bomb Group 7 will place you at the 2000 point level. As you develop the stamina and concentration needed to progress, you'll conquer Bomb Group 8. From then on, it's a matter of fine-tuning your skills and extending your endurance to improve your score.
    [*]If you hit the 10,000 point level, that really impresses the "Mad Bomber," and he'll show his appreciation. Watch for it.
    [*]Here's one special trick we have discovered to help build up your score while maintaining some control of the game. If you have all 3 buckets and you're just about to cross a 1000 point level (1000, 2000, 3000, etc.), miss one of the bombs on purpose! You will lose your bottom bucket, but you will start over at the next lower difficulty level. And that'll give you a few bombs to catch at a slower speed. Then, after you've gone over the 1000 point level, you will get your bucket back anyway, so you haven't lost a thing. Since you will be playing for a while at a slower speed, it gives you a breather, but keeps you in the game.

Good luck everyone!

--Zero

(Larry Kaplan)
It's possible to "beat" the game by achieving 999,999, the maximum score. The only manner in which I've heard of this being done is as follows: Trail the Mad Bomber everywhere he goes, accurately duplicating every single move he makes and therefore arriving at each latitude a split-second after he's been there (and hence catching every bomb). This takes a lot of practice and isn't as much fun as just trying to follow the trails of bombs, but for you dogged members of the Bucket Brigade: It can be done. (AtariAge)
Learn how to strategically drop the bombs. If you are about to get an extra bucket, but you already have three. . . drop a bomb. The manual mentions this, but it is a necessity for a high scoring game on difficulty A. You can also use this to your advantage if you find a level that is too hard for you. You can drop the bomb before you get to that level. Eventually you'll have to do that particular level, but youcan play at the lower one's until it is absolutely necessary. Also, try not to get into a back & forth rythem with the paddles. . . the bombs don't always fall in a steady right to left (or vice versa) pattern. Sometimes they don't always drop at the far sides, and sometimes the are dropped in a row of three or four. If you fall into the habit of just going back and forth, you are bound to miss some bombs. I have also found the more relaxed my hands are, the easier it is to manipulate the paddles. When I tense up, I tend to be late on my reactions. The last tip may not be of help, but it is an observation I have had. (bobafett07728)
If you are really having trouble lasting very long, try playing with the large buckets (Left Difficulty on B.) It will get your wrist loosened up a bit and might give you some confidence going into the harder difficulty. (jedijeff)
After you miss a bomb, take a little breather before you hit the button to start another run. Flex your fingers, take a drink, crack your back, whatever keeps your comfort level up. (jedijeff)
Listen to the splash sound. If your playing perfect the timing of the sound will be like a metronome. If your off you will be able to tell. (Shannon)
If you're having trouble on the faster levels you might try unfocusing your eyes a little bit, sorta like those pictures that pop out at you if you look at them the right way. This will allow you to focus on the pattern of movement instead of each individual bomb, which should make it easier for you to play. (gospeedde)
You may have noticed that every other board alternates between two styles of bomb patterns:

1) The bombs are spaced out more and tend to have a scattered pattern (waves 3,5,7.)

2) The bombs fall in line back and forth with less space between bombs. (waves 4,6,8.)

The second style (waves 4,6,8 ) are the ones you REALLY need to concentrate on because on these boards, there is a greater tendancy for you to move too fast, thus bombs sneak between your buckets and you miss. WATCH YOUR SPEED ON THESE WAVES!

The other waves (3,5,7) give your eyes a break with the bombs further apart, try to relax on these boards. (the 5th ghost)
Try not to let your eyes follow the bombs. Instead; focus more on the center on the screen and practice using your peripheral vision to catch the bombs. This will be a huge help once you get used to it!

Sometimes I stare at the score while catching the bombs but it is probably best to stare more in the middle of the screen. (the 5th ghost)
Once you get more confident, try this strategy:

1) Don't miss a single bomb on waves 1 through 5.

2) Catch every bomb BUT miss the last one on wave 6 intentionally(before you hit 1000 pts.).

3) Don't miss a bomb on waves 5 through 6.

4) On wave 7, intentionally miss the bomb RIGHT before you hit 2,000 pts.

5) Finish wave 6 to get your extra bucket

6) Catch every bomb on wave 7 - BUT INTENTIONALLY MISS THE LAST BOMB OF THE WAVE . (Do not go to wave 8 )

7) Repeat steps 5 and 6 as far as you can take it

Good luck! (the 5th ghost)
Similar to what 5thghost said earlier about not watching the bombs, and concentrating on the center of the screen, I split the screen in half, top & bottom. While I am playing I keep my eyes on the lower half, and don't concern myself with the top half. You tend to get ahead of yourself if you look to far in advance, and miss the bombs you should be concentrating on. (bobafett07728)
I find that it helped if I didn't try to catch the bombs, but instead to think of the buckets as a vertical paddle and try to "wipe" the buckets off the screen by sliding sideways into them. So if there was a string of bombs coming straight down, I'd slide left and right continuously "wiping" them off the screen. This gets tough when you're down a paddle or two. (Ze_ro)
Some people have suggested using the "splashing" noise as a metronome, but you might also want to try muting the volume completely. This game requires a lot of concentration, and sometimes sound can be a bit of a distraction, so you might end up finding that your game actually improves when you play in silence. (Ze_ro)
As with any game, try to learn from your mistakes. When you drop a bomb, ask yourself "Why did I miss that bomb?" Perhaps you didn't get to it in time. If this is the case, then you might want to try focusing your eyes higher on the screen so that you have more advance warning. Perhaps you dropped the bomb because you moved away too soon... in that case, you might want to focus your eyes lower on the screen so that you don't get ahead of yourself. (Ze_ro)
One of the hardest parts of this game (for me) are when the Mad Bomber goes very quickly back and forth near the edge of the screen. I've found that sometimes instead of actually trying to follow the sequence, you might be better off just spazzing out and moving back and forth as fast as possible (not all the way across the screen, just in the corner) and just hoping to get lucky. Remember that if you are following the Mad Bomber's sequence exactly, but you are too late or too early, you will miss every bomb. If you're just moving left and right as fast as you can, you might increase your odds. (Ze_ro)

Like anyone without a stella adaptor in their right mind would attempt this game on an emulator. :lol:

Kudos to those without a stella adaptor who do! :thumbsup:

Time to grease up those paddles!

BTW who determines the game selection and difficulty?

The person who picked the game?

Like anyone without a stella adaptor in their right mind would attempt this game on an emulator.  :lol:

Kudos to those without a stella adaptor who do!   :thumbsup:  

Time to grease up those paddles!

BTW who determines the game selection and difficulty?

The person who picked the game?

I picked it and I determined the difficulty (small buckets).

Kaboom! happens to be the first Activision game I got as a kid way back in Christmas of '82 :)

It is my all-time favorite Activision game, possibly my favorite of all the Atari 2600 games!

The small buckets will add to the challenge. I also realize that Kaboom! is VERY popular but probably not too many people played it much on the Expert setting (Diff.A)

Have fun!

Wanted to be first for a few minutes... :)

Gonna try this on a real system tomorrow.  Playing with the mouse doesn't quite cut it.

Thank goodness I have a set of jitter free paddles...

Haha

You stole my idea. I was gonna post just so I could be number one for a few secs. I'm surprised the TwinGalaxy #2 and #3 scores are not higher.

yet another game I don't have :(

I searched the net late night yesterday and found a rom for it so when I get a chance I'll play it.

(I have to play it in z26, because Pcaewin2.6 doesn't work all the way with it, the game stalls after a level is completed or when a bucket is loss

and the only way to continue is to stop and start the emulation, z26 continues as normal)

Another question: If the game choosen has a hack can it be used in place

of the actaul game(I noticed that kabbom has a graphic hack))

I'll still use the kaboom game I was just wondering.

Here's my first score: 16,550 I've done a lot better :)

If those Twin Galaxies scores are really the records I just may have to videotape myself for this one.

TIP

To rack up high scores, I tend to ignore the actual bombs and follow the mad bomber as much as possible. With some practice, you will be able to rack up the points and cycle through the faster levels will less difficulty.

@the 5th ghost--good choice of a game. I like the games that are easy to learn, but difficult to master.

Great Pick!!!!! After winning the tournament at PhillyClassic, this has been a constant in my VCS!! I recently scored in the 13K range on difficulty A, but I'll have to see what I can do tonight.

Here are some tips:

Learn how to strategically drop the bombs. If you are about to get an extra bucket, but you already have three. . . drop a bomb. The manual mentions this, but it is a necessity for a high scoring game on difficulty A. You can also use this to your advantage if you find a level that is too hard for you. You can drop the bomb before you get to that level. Eventually you'll have to do that particular level, but youcan play at the lower one's until it is absolutely necessary. Also, try not to get into a back & forth rythem with the paddles. . . the bombs don't always fall in a steady right to left (or vice versa) pattern. Sometimes they don't always drop at the far sides, and sometimes the are dropped in a row of three or four. If you fall into the habit of just going back and forth, you are bound to miss some bombs. I have also found the more relaxed my hands are, the easier it is to manipulate the paddles. When I tense up, I tend to be late on my reactions. The last tip may not be of help, but it is an observation I have had.

Good Luck to Everyone!!!!!!

Pcaewin2.6 doesn't work all the way with it, the game stalls after a level is completed or when a bucket is loss

and the only way to continue is to stop and start the emulation...

That's what it seems like, but I found that you get avoid that by moving the paddle all the way to the right and pushing the button.

I just start playing this about an hour ago and damn is it hard!!! I'm playing with Cyberstella and it even emulates a set of jittery paddles with the mouse!!! I found this to be the best emulator to play this particular game on. I tried PCAEWIN, but as stated before it seemed to have problems with this game. Z26 just didn't have a good feel to the controls, and I just couldn't get the game going with MESS (the picture looked blurry also...no time to fiddle with the configs).

Anyway so far 861 is the best I could do so far.

- Sal

post-3636-1084229779_thumb.jpg

I have a couple hints that I hope are helpful:

If you are really having trouble lasting very long, try playing with the large buckets (Left Difficulty on B.) It will get your wrist loosened up a bit and might give you some confidence going into the harder difficulty.

After you miss a bomb, take a little breather before you hit the button to start another run. Flex your fingers, take a drink, crack your back, whatever keeps your comfort level up.

Make sure you have a good set of paddles. Jitter kills in this game.

Try to keep your movements smooth. A lot of bombs seem to go between the buckets in the early levels when you move too fast.

Then again what do I know, my high score so far is under 800. :lolblue:

Good luck.

Jeff

A good start for me. I doubt I'll be playing this one as much since I pretty much know what my limit is. Unlike, say, Gravitar where I felt I got better every time I played (and could still improve my score a lot) in Kaboom I reach a point where it's just too fast.

I am getting thrown off when the directions of the bombs change twice quickly nearly the edge of the screen. Wasn't such a big problem when I used to play on difficulty B. Now that it's A, it's something I need to work on.

Anyways I managed to get 2061.