IGNORED

High Score Club Week 6: Kaboom!

Ze_ro

I agree with jedijeff... keep your movements smooth.

Listen to the splash sound. If your playing perfect the timing of the sound will be like a metronome. If your off you will be able to tell.

I actually used to be good at this game. Apparently age has not been good to me. I think it has to do more with my wrist just not being loose enough. Hopefully it will loosen a bit so I can deal with the quicker direction changes I seem to have a problem with.

Looks like several people should be running their VCR's on this one. I see some records being broken!

Here's my first score: 16,550  I've done a lot better :)

If those Twin Galaxies scores are really the records I just may have to videotape myself for this one.

TIP

To rack up high scores, I tend to ignore the actual bombs and follow the mad bomber as much as possible.  With some practice, you will be able to rack up the points and cycle through the faster levels will less difficulty.

@the 5th ghost--good choice of a game.  I like the games that are easy to learn, but difficult to master.

Way to go sku_u! You already beat my record! I also got in the 16K range so I'll be nipping at your toes eventually 8)

Of course, Todd Rogers has gone into the 100K range so expect him to chime in soon with a monster score :D

Doug

Here's my first score: 16,550  I've done a lot better :)

If those Twin Galaxies scores are really the records I just may have to videotape myself for this one.

TIP

To rack up high scores, I tend to ignore the actual bombs and follow the mad bomber as much as possible.  With some practice, you will be able to rack up the points and cycle through the faster levels will less difficulty.

@the 5th ghost--good choice of a game.  I like the games that are easy to learn, but difficult to master.

Way to go sku_u! You already beat my record! I also got in the 16K range so I'll be nipping at your toes eventually 8)

Of course, Todd Rogers has gone into the 100K range so expect him to chime in soon with a monster score :D

Doug

Thanks! My goal on this one is 999,999 as it is on every Activision game that goes to 999,999 or !!!!!!!. I'd definitely be happy with 100K, though. My best ever score on that setting is somewhere in the 60K range.

My best so far is 1301, it's definitely much harder with smaller buckets.

If you're having trouble on the faster levels you might try unfocusing your eyes a little bit, sorta like those pictures that pop out at you if you look at them the right way. This will allow you to focus on the pattern of movement instead of each individual bomb, which should make it easier for you to play.

I like playing this game, but it is also one of my favorite games to watch other people play because eveything seems to be moving so much faster when someone else is playing.

1493 is my best for the time being. I'm much more used to the large buckets, and I find myself missing some that I really should have gotten. I'm going to need a lot more practice at this one.

--Zero

1493 is my best for the time being. I'm much more used to the large buckets, and I find myself missing some that I really should have gotten. I'm going to need a lot more practice at this one.

--Zero

I might be crazy but it also seems it easy for bombs to go between buckets and you'll miss them completely.

That's the thing with the small buckets: the bombs will easily pass between the buckets so you have to be EXTRA precise in catching them.

My tip is not to go too fast while sweeping back and forth the catch the bombs. Only go fast enough to stay under the bombs.

You may have noticed that every other board alternates between two styles of bomb patterns:

1) The bombs are spaced out more and tend to have a scattered pattern (waves 3,5,7.)

2) The bombs fall in line back and forth with less space between bombs. (waves 4,6,8.)

The second style (waves 4,6,8) are the ones you REALLY need to concentrate on because on these boards, there is a greater tendancy for you to move too fast, thus bombs sneak between your buckets and you miss. WATCH YOUR SPEED ON THESE WAVES!

The other waves (3,5,7) give your eyes a break with the bombs further apart, try to relax on these boards.

Another tip:

If you are playing for a long time with your eyes focused on the TV screen, don't look away from the TV or the room will start to rise! ;)

More tips:

Try not to let your eyes follow the bombs. Instead; focus more on the center on the screen and practice using your peripheral vision to catch the bombs. This will be a huge help once you get used to it!

Sometimes I stare at the score while catching the bombs but it is probably best to stare more in the middle of the screen.

Once you get more confident, try this strategy:

1) Don't miss a single bomb on waves 1 through 5.

2) Catch every bomb BUT miss the last one on wave 6 intentionally(before you hit 1000 pts.).

3) Don't miss a bomb on waves 5 through 6.

4) On wave 7, intentionally miss the bomb RIGHT before you hit 2,000 pts.

5) Finish wave 6 to get your extra bucket

6) Catch every bomb on wave 7 - BUT INTENTIONALLY MISS THE LAST BOMB OF THE WAVE . (Do not go to wave 8)

7) Repeat steps 5 and 6 as far as you can take it ;)

Good luck!

The subject above is the sound of me sucking at this game. Much like Megamania, I never really latched onto it years ago, so I'm having a crash course this week. :(

I did play last night, and I'm really hoping to break 2 grand tonight. There definatley seems to be a turning point in the game. Once you can get to the higher levels (and let me qualify this as only an educated guess) so I'll have some hope. :)

And fresh paddles are a must for this game. I've got a pair that's never been used, so they're working nicely. The first set I tried worked more like a hyperspace controller, with the buckets appearing randmoly across the bottom of the screen. :roll:

ò¿ó   smiling_to_atariage.gif

As usual.....

kaboom_patch.gif

I need the Gravitar winner to contact me via email (resqsoft@earthlink.net) with their score, name, and mail addy so I can send them a patch (eventually). I need to get caught up from NWCGE.

Remember, patches awarded to those who get the hi-score on real hardware.

For a look back at previous winners see http://home.earthlink.net/~resqsoft/

Regards,

-Lee

My first score:

Not too bad, but I know I can do better.

Similar to what 5thghost said earlier about not watching the bombs, and concentrating on the center of the screen, I split the screen in half, top & bottom. While I am playing I keep my eyes on the lower half, and don't concern myself with the top half. You tend to get ahead of yourself if you look to far in advance, and miss the bombs you should be concentrating on. If I can get 20K, I'll be very pleased. . . but these competitions seem to bring out the best in us all! :D

Todd can get 100K on this setting!?!?!?! Damn, that is truely ridiculous. . . and I thought his 999,999 Plaque Attack score was impressive. 8)

Todd can get 100K on this setting!?!?!?! Damn, that is truely ridiculous. . . and I thought his 999,999 Plaque Attack score was impressive.  8)

You're telling me!! It took me a lot of practice to log my 2nd place Plaque Attack score on TG and it's not even close to Todd! I'm most impressed with his 99,999 Stampede score. My hat is off to anyone who breaks 40,000 on game 1 of Stampede. How about 144 in Robot Tank? Truly amazing!

Hey 5th Ghost: I knew you'd pick this game; and diff A? I think you're right... no one will max this baby!! :D

i kid you not

i cant concentrate, that took me well over an hour to achieve. my goal was 2000, and most of the time i would screw up even before getting to 1000. the small buckets were only a challenge when you get those quick direction changes, other than that it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. but from the looks of these scores, im a serious lightweight :(