IGNORED

spy hunter vs. river raid

memorymoog

I never tried the 2600 version of SpyHunter.

As far as the arcade version being crap compared to the home versions, it's you, not the game. I've never seen the c64 version either, but I loved the Sega cart version for the Atari 8-bits, it rocked too!

RiverRaid? I liked it on the 2600 and 8-bit, can't compare it to 2600 Spyhunter since I don't remember ever seeing it. I prefer 8-bit SpyHunter to 8-bit&2600 RiverRaid (although I like R.R. too).

Spy Hunter! More weapons, more variety, etc. It's funny that the C64 version of the game was mentioned, too, as I personally view it as one of the least fun and visually appealing versions. If you Spy Hunter fans really want a treat, go play the Colecovision version. I used to spend countless hours playing that on my old 486 laptop with ColEm. Those were the days.

Strange, I never expected to be in the minority when I say that I like Spy Hunter.

In case this is any attempt to figure out what the best 2600 game is though, then I'd have to point out that the 2600 version kinda sucks.

I never understood why you could only fly over water in River Raid.

--Zero

Your the first person I've talked that actually admitted to own a Panda game back in the day. I assumed Panda games were only available in shady back alley shops and you'd die of shame if anyone knew you owned one. I honestly can't remember seeing any of them on store shelves.

Tempest

quote:

Originally posted by PeeknPoke:

Maybe, Spy-hunter the arcade game has just gotta be played with the steering wheel and looses something in the MAME version

For at least a few versions of MAME, the input for this game was screwed up... since they were trying to emulate a steering wheel with the cursor keys, things didn't work out properly (Similar to trying to emulate the 5200 in MESS... control just sucks). I'm not sure if they ever fixed it properly, as I haven't played the game in quite a while. Of course, if you tried changing the inputs to an analog device (even a mouse in theory), then things might work better...

--Zero

Hehe, I actually thought the Commdodore 64 Version of Spy Hunter was pretty great. Just a thought, there weren't two releases of the Game one in Europe and one in the U.S. I noticed they did that with Rampage for the C=64 and the European release is really poor but the U.S version was really well done.. Just a thought.

For the 2600, I still like River Raid, but Spy Hunter isn't far behind, might even be a toss up between the two.

Tempest, they sold all of the Panda games at my friendly, local Target store, back in the 80s, they were a cool $10 apiece. Harbor Escape was the only one I bought, and as far as I could tell, it was the only one they ever sold. I got it (if fuzzy memory serves) the day Excitebike hit the stores, the space for 2600 games was gone the next day for Excitebike, approx. 100 copies it.