IGNORED

Fun with Elevator Action

Tempest

After playing with Elevator Action a bit I discovered some interesting and fun bugs in the game.

Ride To Nowhere - On the level where you start (on top of the building) try going to left or right and push up like your riding an escalator (go to where one would be if it existed). You'll ride an invisible escalator up to the next level and see a whole bunch of garbled graphics, you'll also be trapped up there.

Look Ma I Can Fly - We all know that you can hover indefinetly by pushing up, but did you know you can also fly? Try pushing left or right when hovering, you can go through a whole level without touching the ground.

Unbreakable - Here's a fun little invicibility trick. When you get shot push up (to jump) before your death animation finishes. If you do it in time you won't die. This trick won't work in elevators so be careful.

Trick Shooting - You can get your bullets to do some strange things by standing next to the edge of the screen and shooting constantly. If you keep shooting your bullets will appear to hover around your body and once you stop shooting your bullets will wrap around and come from the other side. Also, sometimes when you shoot at a level when on the elevator (aim just so your bullet skims the level) your bullet will sometimes turn large and blocky.

A Shot In The Dark - I've seen a glitch where a bullet will suddenly appear to come from a door with no enemy there to shoot it. Watch out.

Lights Out - I don't know if this was covered in the manual, but it is possible to shoot out the lights. It just takes alot of paitence and careful aim.

If You Wait, It Will Come - For some reason the elevator at level nine on the first board takes forever to appear. I've waited five minutes before it finally came. This doesn't seem to happen on later levels.

This game is really great, has anyone thought about finishing it? Does Dan Hitchens (programmer) know if theres a later version out there?

Tempest

I found a ROM dump of the game, but it doesn't seem to work properly through Stella (It gives an illegal instruction after the title screen.. and I have no other emulators to try it in. It's possible this is a bad dump, but I have no way of telling)

I heard of a good solution for the long elevator wait: Let yourself get killed on that floor, and when you come back to life, the elevator will be on the floor below you on it's way up.

--Zero

Where have you found this ROM?

Please tell us the Link, so we can try other Emulators.

Thx

Matthias

@ Alex

have you answer? I have seen your name in the start screen of this board, but here is no reply.

If you have an answer, please reply again. Something must be wrong with this post.

Matthias

[ 08-16-2001: Message edited by: MattyXB ]

Darn it, I thought I actually found something first for once. Oh well... Is it just me or is the game still way too easy? Maybe it's because it's hard not to cheat a little with the inviciblitiy thing. I'm actually amazed at how well it plays on the 2600, I can't wait to see the 5200 version John found.

Tempest

We're working on it. It may be a good dump that just requires something specific from the emu. We do have the cartridge and a dumper, so we can redump it if necessary. I'm working with one of the emu authors on functionality, we'll let you know when we have something. Same story with Thwocker.

As far as I know, this is as far as he got before the project was canceled. I think John Hardie told me that he got it from Dan himself. I don't know his e-mail address, but if he's anything like the other Atari programmers I've met he's far too busy to finish this game. It would take alot of time and effort to finish and usually they have high level jobs that keep them from taking on projects like this. I think it would be nice if some Atari fans finished EA. The bulk of the game is there, it just needs some minor tweaks which I think a few homebrew authors could do in a couple months.

Tempest

Tempest - thanks for the info. That would be great if one of those homebrew authors could pick up the torch where Dan left off...

Does anyone know why EA was cancelled? Was it the fabled 'crash'? If so, I wonder why Atari didn't finish it during the 'rebirth' period from 86-90. They would have certainly had a winner on their hands.

I was playing my copy of the proto at CGE and everyone that came by was REALLY impressed with the graphics and gameplay - we even had some fun with the obvious bugs that were there. I must say, though, that I didn't have the patience to wait for the last elevator - it took forever!!

Yeah I don't know why it was cancelled either. The copyright date says 83 and I know games were being made into 84 so I don't think the crash killed it. Maybe Dan left the company or got pulled off to do another project? There are a few really good protos from around 83 that never got finished and I can't figure out why.

If homebrew authors are going ot finish the game I think they would need to get the programmers permission first (or at least they should).

Tempest

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyWC:

Does anyone know why EA was cancelled? Was it the fabled 'crash'? If so, I wonder why Atari didn't finish it during the 'rebirth' period from 86-90. They would have certainly had a winner on their hands.

It's unfortunate that so many of Atari's games never saw the light of day. There's a ton of great arcade games that had sitting around that never got released, or were released in only small amounts (Am I the only one who likes I, Robot?). Some of their unreleased stuff sucked (*cough7800pitfightercough*), but a lot of it was pure gold.

--Zero

(Am I the only one who likes I, Robot?).

No, I likle I, Robot too. Awesome game by Atari. The arcades in JOliet Illinois were never known for getting unusual or rare games, but the Aladins Castle (R.I.P)at the Louis Joliet Mall had this one and I remember chucking numerous quarters into it/..

Quick update - we dumped our own EA cart, and it goes to the second screen and you can move the character around, but the screen is garbled. So it looks like the dump that's been floating around is bad. We still have some tweaking to do to get it to run, but we're on the right track now.