IGNORED

Donkey Kong vs. Donkey Kong Jr.

Nateo

2600 Donkey Kong wasn't *so* bad, but what truly bugged me from the beginning was the way it jumped from the rivets stage back to the ramp stage with no closure (i.e. defeating Donkey Kong).

I've said this before, but memory limitations being what they were, I still figure they could have just turned the donkey kong sprite upside down or something while the 2 second between-stages-tune was playing etc. I think that would have made all the difference

Yea, honestly DK and DK Jr. were good games in their own right. If they hadn't been ports of arcade games, they probably both would have been great games.

Once you start comparing to the Arcades and the other ports for other systems, games start looking bad real fast.

Let us not forget the Pacman for the 2600.

quote:

Originally posted by Cafeman:

NE146 -- yes, you hit the nail on the head. No closure, no defeated DK was lame. It was corporate $ales mentality at its (dr evil imitation) Most EEEEEVILLLL. Rush the game out with the smallest k cart and it'll surely sell.

I never thought it was that big a problem really... but then, I grew up with the ColecoVision version which didn't do this either.

Anyone care to speculate wether or not Donkey Kong 3 could have been done decently (Or perhaps not so decently) on the VCS?

--Zero

NE146 -- yes, you hit the nail on the head. No closure, no defeated DK was lame. It was corporate $ales mentality at its (dr evil imitation) Most EEEEEVILLLL. Rush the game out with the smallest k cart and it'll surely sell.

Anyway, both coin-op games are equal and both Atari 8bit versions are equal in my mind. I was always in awe at how good DKjr really was, without being a me-too kind effort in any way. The 2600 versions both bite for many reasons.

Donkey Kong is my all time favorite platformer. I play it on Mame, I play it on N64's DK64 cart, I play it on my Atari 8bit. When you think about how ingenious its design, art, and concept and playability all are ... it's easy to see Miyamoto's worth to the big N.