IGNORED

How much do you guys spend on Atari 2600 Stuff.

Joel D. Park

I use to spend a bunch of money, but now I try to keep it in check since I'm saving up for a house. I'm also in the middle of buying a large prototype collection so that's going to set me back a bit.

Another thing that keeps me from blowing large sums of money is that I'm getting down to needing only those 7's and above. I can usually find them on ebay but I just can't bring myself to spending that much money. It's all about self control.

Tempest

I usually pay normal prices for games, around 2-4 dollars apiece when I find them in old vintage stores. The most I've ever spent was about $30 when I bought James Bond 007 on ebay a while back. Oh, and the $30 apiece for Swordfight and Sea Batlle.

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

Another thing that keeps me from blowing large sums of money is that I'm getting down to needing only those 7's and above. I can usually find them on ebay but I just can't bring myself to spending that much money. It's all about self control.

Amen, Brother Tempest!

I'm in a similar situation, where all I really need are the more rare titles, and I refuse to do the ebay thing. Years ago I set a $10.00 limit per game on my Atari 2600 collection, and have pretty much stuck to it.

I'd say that over half of my collecting satisfaction comes from finding a game in the wild (which for me includes finding another collector to trade with). Although finding good stuff in the thrifts and fleas doesn't happen often anymore, I am still happy with my choice.

The only exception I let myself have is homebrews. I really do like to support those guys who are making new VCS games, so I'll drop to $20-50+ if there's a title that seems interesting. I'd never buy a homebrew from anyone other than the author (or someone the author has contracted to produce the games for him - ie. Hozer).

All in all, I probably spend $50-80 a month on Atari stuff - most of which is postage for overseas trades.

Believe it or not, I usually get fairly good deals on Atari games through eBay.

What really gets to me is when I see Atari paddles go for about $15 on eBay. Geez! How am I supposed to compete with people that'll spend a lot more money on stuff than I care to pay for? I can't. Sigh......

It's all about how much you *really* want it. I'd like a copy of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but not enough to justify plunking down $75 for it.

You asked this question at a very bad time, having just returned from CGE 2K1. I spent far too much money there, mostly on Jaguar and Lynx games and hardware to fill out my collection (about 15 Jag games including most of the Telegames and Songbird titles and over 30 Lynx games). All in the interest of having a nice, complete Jaguar and Lynx sections here on AtariAge soon. Well, at lesat that's how I try to justify it in my mind..

Outside of that, my spending usually comes in spurts that are closely related to buying rampages on eBay. Every few months I'll scan eBay listings and search for carts I don't yet have. After that then I usually sober up until I make the mistake of searching around on eBay a few months down the road.

..Al

About two months ago I spent $800.00 on Magicard by CommaVid. Sounds crazy but I knew I would never get the opportunity again to get that cart. The Magicard cart that I got is the one pictured in this site:~) I also bought Cakewalk, Stronghold, Mines of Minos, Room of Doom, and Cosmic Swarm all together for another $500.00 which I think was not a bad deal since Cakewalk and Stronghold are rated as a 9 in rarity. The guy also had Video Life but he sold it to someone else! Aaaaaaaaaargh!

I spend a bunch of money, but also I make some money on eBay... couple weeks ago, I found a copy of River Raid and I just add the box and the manual and I sold the game for $13 bucks... not bad. Also a week ago I found a Nintendo Action Set in a garage sale for $20 bucks and was barelly used, and I sold it on eBay with 13 cart for $63 bucks...

Also I found one Atari Ultra Pong (with the 4 controllers) for $14 bucks in one thirft store (alone with Adventure, PolePosition and Pacman).

So far... so good =)

OsBo

I think the 3 best places to get atari arounf the USA are

1.) PA

2.) Florida

3.) Texas

some reason these states have surplus of games

and then people liek D8thstar find games in Cali. ( which shoudl be a big surprise since atari was located out there)

if you life in these places u sitting pretty

I don't usually spend all that much, though in the last couple weeks, I've dropped about $100 on various stuff. Although most of that was for my Lynx and a slew of games for it. I've since sworn off eBay at least until I build up some more money I still go to flea markets and thrift stores all the time, and spend anywhere between $5 to $20 a week depending on what I'm able to find.

Unfortunately, my eBay vacation came shortly after I finally got my 5200... now it just sits there without controllers or games... it's quite a sad sight really I'm still not completely sure it even works, as I have no way to test it.

As for the most I've spent on an actual game, it's a bit harder question, since I usually get them in large batches. I spent about $16 on two double-enders (one was a 6) and Enduro, and that was pretty expensive (well, after shipping and all). I also spent almost $5 each on Alien and Thunderground. Other than that, I usually don't look for games that I *know* will be extremely expensive. As good as an Atari game is, I'm not likely to spend all that much on it (Lynx or Jaguar games on the other hand are worth a bit more to me)

--Zero

quote:

Originally posted by Joel D. Park:

I suppose this is a bad time for me as well. I had a buddy of mine pick me up some stuff at CGE, as well as some surprising new homebrews that have popped up in the last month. Big Money..

Yeah, it's probably a good thing for me that there aren't more shows around the year. Sure, they're a nice boost to one's collection but a big drain on one's wallet. Especially when you factor in all your travel expenses as well (I wonder if anyone who attended CGE actually lives in Vegas). I will be closer to Philadelphia once I move from California to Austin.. Hmmmm.

..Al