IGNORED

7800 prototype wanted

gambler172

I own a few, but none are for sale. 7800 Prototypes are so rare I never let any go once they come into my collection. You're going to be hard pressed to find any I think.

If you do find a source for 7800 prototypes I'd be most interested :)

Tempest

Heres the REALLY BIG problem I found over the years and I actually knew someone at Atari. Most of the stuff planned for the 7800 was done on paper. In fact rarely any prototype was ever made, if only for demo if that. My friend there told me once that a battery save cart was in fact made as a prototype. But there is only 1 and what happend after 1985 when it was last seen who knows?

There has been 7800 developer items on eBay. There has to be more than one board you could swap chips in... The REALLY big problem with prototypes was that the 7800 had encryption and a proto won't play on a general release system. People probably threw out most of them.

• 2 months later...

I'd give anything for a translucent pre-production 7800 model. Ive been after one of those for a good decade or so. Anyone with a lead contact me directly. I'd be ready to make a serious offer if one was available.

Justin

I'd like 7800 protos too ... but chances are slim to none of me ever getting any!

People that have them, often refuse to share them. Case in point: MISSING IN ACTION ... it's existance has been known about publically for two years now, but the people that own it refuse to release ROMS, screenshots or to replicate.

7800 Prototype hoarding is common, sadly.