IGNORED

High Score Club Week 9: Subterranea!

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss Subterranea, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

Quick! Jump into the Cave Ranger and get ready to fight against the hideous Hexuplex! Watch out for the Aerobots that are at his command though, because this week's game is Imagic's Subterranea!

Game Information
Left Difficulty Not Applicable
Right Difficulty Not Applicable
Game Mode Game 1: 1 Player, Skill Level 1
Chosen By bjk7382

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Sunday, June 7th at midnight (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

This game is somewhat rare, so if you don't have a copy of this game, you can find a copy of the ROM at AtariAge's Profile Page for this game. You can find such things as a typed copy of the manual, reviews, screenshots, and other information there.

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a reply saying so, and I'll add you to the list!

Next week's game will be chosen by HermChase Please send me a Private Message letting me know which game (and difficulty settings) you've chosen as soon as possible HermChase!

Scores for This Game:

• [*]silverfuji.gif68,665 (the 5th ghost)
[+10]
[*]bronzefuji.gif21,807 (bjk7382) [+8]
[*]19,174 (Jeffy Arensmeyer) [+7]
[*]15,783 (Tsukasa) [+6]
[*]15,769 (crsdawg) [+5]
[*]15,694 (Saldo) [+4]
[*]15,048 (Numan) [+3]
[*]13,693 (jedijeff) [+2]
[*]12,602 (Ze_ro) [+1]
[*]11,297 (Shannon)
[*]9523 (Keir)
[*]7015 (Kurushimi)
[*]6970 (InanimateCarbonRod)
[*]6690 (Thomas Jentzsch)
[*]6515 (DeV0)
[*]6398 (iguana)
[*]5357 (homerwannabee)
[*]5325 (Scooterb23)
[*]5153 (Dan Iacovelli)
[*]4952 (Goochman)
[*]4815 (Robert M)
[*]4184 (The 8th Passenger)
[*]3675 (NintendoDieScreaming)
[*]1818 (128bytes)

Statistics:

Best Tips:

Twin Galaxies Top 3:
  • 15,041 (Douglas Korekach)
    [*]13,166 (Dan Mowczan)
    [*]11,209 (Robert Macauley)

• [*]Todd Rogers
[72]
[*]sku_u [53]
[*]jedijeff [52]
[*]Jeffy Arensmeyer [40]
[*]Stingray [33]
[*]Ze_ro [32]
[*]stayrunner [24]
[*]Saldo [23]
[*]Chris++ [21]
[*]taxman [19]
[*]bobafett07728 [19]
[*]Shannon [17]
[*]The 8th Passenger [17]
[*]bjk7382 [15]
[*]HermChase [13]
[*]homerwannabee [12]
[*]NovaXpress [12]
[*]Christophero Sly [12]
[*]Thomas Jentzsh [9]
[*]Numan [8]
[*]NintendoDieScreaming [7]
[*]dykesr [7]
[*]Keir [7]
[*]mikeftrevino [7]
[*]Kurushimi [6]
[*]Paul Slocum [6]
[*]Goochman [5]
[*]StanJr [5]
[*]DeV0 [4]
[*]crsdawg [3]
[*]maibock [2]
[*]chrisbid [1]
[*]InanimateCarbonRod [0]
[*]shining slade [0]
[*]Robert M [0]
[*]Kepone [0]
[*]LarcenTyler [0]
[*]gospeedde [0]
[*]Saikyo [0]
[*]Scooterb23 [0]
[*]moycon [0]
[*]gamerz [0]
[*]128bytes [0]
[*]video game addict [0]
[*]LU8 [0]
[*]fsuinnc [0]
[*]Tsukasa [0]
[*]iguana [0]
[*]Dan Iacovelli [0]
[*]Albert [0]
[*]pmpddytim [0]
[*]pitfallaimee [0]
[*]Happy_Dude [0]
[*]Gamemaster_ca_2003 [0]
[*]Kialan [0]
[*]xmetalhedx [0]
[*]Adrian M [0]
[*]intvgene [0]
[*]ScottHuggins [0]
[*]jeepnut24 [0]
[*]davepesc [0]
[*]figgler [0]
[*]Old_Atarian [0]
[*]hobbles [0]
[*]johnnywc [0]
[*]PaulEMoz [0]
[*]atari_wizard [0]
[*]lost child [0]
[*]Nateo [0]
[*]NE146 [0]
[*]Bunsen [0]
[*]chadtower [0]
[*]Big Player [0]

Member List
HermChase, Goochman, NE146, Cootster, 128bytes, Kurushimi, liquid_sky, intvgene, ScottHuggins, InanimateCarbonRod, pmpddytim, Xot, Scooterb23, Dan Iacovelli, LarcenTyler, sku_u, Luigi301, Max-T, adams_ale, gamerz, Christophero Sly, Trooper, Nateo, homerwannabee, lost child, Happy_Dude, video game addict, Spirantho, bobafett07728, mikefrevino, Paul Slocum, fsuinnc, Gamemaster_ca_2003, Robert M, DeV0, Gateway, Mendon, Fretwobbler, PaulEMoz, killersquirel, shining slade, chadtower, gospeedde, stayrunner, Big Player, Swingtown, Chris++, hotpants, hobbles, Ze_ro, maibock, moycon, somePUNK, Saldo, Stingray, Kepone, xmetalhedx, chrisbid, Kialan, Jeffy Arensmeyer, Keir, ToddRogers, Numan, iguana, LU8, jeepnut24, Albert, Tsukasa, Adrian M, dykesr, EricDeLee, Thomas Jentzsch, The 8th Passenger, the 5th ghost, Bunsen, atari_wizard, jedijeff, davepesc, maximebeauvais, buzzguy, bjk7382, khryssun

Scoring Points in Subterranea - Unknown, possibly after 99,999 (Unconfirmed)

Hints and Tips
As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well no problem, because AtariAge has a typed copy of the manual available online right over here.

What's that? You're too damn lazy to click that link? Well, there aren't any actual hints given in the manual anyways, so you're not missing out on a lot. However, the game isn't as simple as most 2600 games, so you really should read it anyways so that you can figure out what you're supposed to be doing.
(the manual)
When the HEXUPLEX is sending the Aerobots at you, it is best to stay at the top of the screen and keep moving back and forth to draw the HEXUPLEX, which will follow you. Try to be on the opposite side of the screen than the Aerobot when it is shot up from the HEX and shoot it once it gets to the top of the screen lined up with you. The Aerobots will increase in speed as the wave progresses so be alert. It helps to just hold down the fire button for automatic fire and just maneuver back and forth till you line up the Aerobot and shoot it. (the 5th ghost)
In the tunnel, the enemies will move horizontally. A good way to dispose of them is to get behind one, follow it then shoot it down. Watch for the ones that shoot at you, they will only shoot when you are lined up exactly with them so try to stay "betwwen the lines". In the later tunnels, when you get behind the enemy it will reverse its direction to charge at you so be quick in shooting them before they ram into you. (the 5th ghost)
For the Electro-Gates, first listen and watch the pattern before attempting to move through, especially when there are multiple Gates to move through. For the multiple Electro-Gates, once you get past the first one, you can pause between Gates without getting hit. Use this pause in the "safe zone" to time the next Gate and so on. Better to play it safe here, take your time! (the 5th ghost)
Like the 5th ghost said, when the otopus looking thing is shooting at you go back and forth on the very top of the screen. In fact just keep doing this until he shoot, you will most likely have enough time to shoot the thing coming at you. I am suprised no one has mentioned this, but after you get past the second octopus there is this colurful bird that you will see fly across your screen, be sure you are able to shoot down this bird. That bird is worth 1,000 points. Also you will not be able to get any closer to the exit by flying around my advice is just to stay put and let them come to you. When you shoot the last creature make sure you get to the exit as quickly as possible, because points are now being continually deducted from your score. (homerwannabee)
You will hear a special sound when the glittering bird is about to appear. It will only appear once per tunnel so be sure to shoot it before getting yourself destroyed. Sometimes it won't appear at all, just listen for the special sound. (the 5th ghost)
As you play the game, try to keep a mental note of the different patterns the enemies move by per tunnel. This will help you prepare your strategy when you play your next game. Try to remember the tunnels where the enemies shoot, reverse directions, and jump up and down. The better your plan, the more success you will have in each tunnel, thus gain an extra life in each tunnel you clear without getting hit. (the 5th ghost)
When you clear the enemies in the tunnel to gain the Elecro-Gate(s), you will hear the "electro-sound" gain in volume as you get closer to the Electro-Gate(s). Use this sound to determine which direction to fly in order to reach it faster. (the 5th ghost)
Some tips:
  • On the top level, when ships are being sent up at you, remain towards the top and move left and right. When a ship is sent at you, move to the opposite side quickly, reverse direction rapidly and fire.
    [*]For the tunnel levels, I find it's best to remain as stationary as possible and move your ship up and down on the screen so that the enemies cannot get a good lock on you. Once one passed, follow it for a short way and shoot it.
    [*]For the force fields, watch the pattern once or twice before attempting an exit. This will help you analyze the pattern of the force fields. It will cost you a couple of points, but is much better than the alternative.
    [*]One more tip: you can switch directions very rapidly in this game. Use this to your adventage when trying to eliminate your enemies.
    • (sku_u)

Good luck everyone!

--Zero

I don't know if someone mentioned this (they probably did), but if you don't make it down the gate correctly or fast enough (you get three tried), you have to restart the level and you get NO points for completing it. Harsh. (Numan)
Get into the habit of hitting enemy's from behind. It is vital in the later levels with the ones that fire back at you, so get used to it.

In the first two waves (never made it to the third). When you reach the 3rd level (bottom). Stay toward the top and shoot the baddy once he has passed you. If you have enough momentum he will pass you the other way. Turn around and nail him. Chase him if you have to. The advantage of doing it this way is you less likely to get shot. You may have to move down just a little to be able to get him.

On the 2nd wave with the birds. When you first enter. Wait until a bird on the top level shows up and nail him from behind. Then from there try to hit them from behind. If you do it right you can avoid being shot.
(Shannon)
On the ones that bounce back and forth (second tunnel after the second cavern) they go faster the longer you let them bounce, but after a while they stop and disappear. So if you see one that's going really fast, rather than risk getting hit by it, just wait.

I like to hang around the single skull on the bottom of the tunnel because that's where the gate appears when the tunnel's cleared. If it's on the screen when you clear it, you have to leave and come back though for it to appear. Hanging around with it just off the screen can save you time (and therefore points) wasted looking for the gate. (Keir)
I found that on the harder Hexuplex levels, it works decently well to stay about a half inch below the top of the screen.. that way the enemies sometimes bounce off the top and right into your line of fire. I don't know how effective this is in later levels though. (Ze_ro)
For the hexuplex I usually stay right near the bottom and swing back and forth real fast. Then I usually hit the enemies on each backswing. On the offchance I think he is going to put out one right after another I usually move up a little bit when I swing back over him. You can usually kill them all this way, but it gets real tough when you accedently let one go toward the end of the wave. (I find the birds on the red level real tough)

For the little brown square enemies that turn back real fast and shoot, I find it helpfull to follow them when they first turn around (going away from you) and quick shoot them and then find another one to follow for a second. (you know there won't be another one on that line for a while if you follow them for any length of time) (bjk7382)

After a couple of plays, my high score is 8979.

Only one tip from me so far: From what I can tell, the underground flying enemies never actually turn around, and can only ever shoot forward... so if one passes you, you can fly in and attack him from behind with relative safety.

--Zero

Only one tip from me so far: From what I can tell, the underground flying enemies never actually turn around, and can only ever shoot forward... so if one passes you, you can fly in and attack him from behind with relative safety.

In the later levels there are enemies that go back and forth. They make a quiet beep sound when they turn around. ;)

One tip from me is that touching the sides of the underground caves doesn't count as a hit, so if you still destroy all the flying enemis without getting hit, you will get a free life.

Ok, first score today:

I will definitely improve by the end of the week.

Tips:

When the HEXUPLEX is sending the Aerobots at you, it is best to stay at the top of the screen and keep moving back and forth to draw the HEXUPLEX, which will follow you. Try to be on the opposite side of the screen than the Aerobot when it is shot up from the HEX and shoot it once it gets to the top of the screen lined up with you. The Aerobots will increase in speed as the wave progresses so be alert. It helps to just hold down the fire button for automatic fire and just maneuver back and forth till you line up the Aerobot and shoot it.

Tip 2:

In the tunnel, the enemies will move horizontally. A good way to dispose of them is to get behind one, follow it then shoot it down. Watch for the ones that shoot at you, they will only shoot when you are lined up exactly with them so try to stay "betwwen the lines". In the later tunnels, when you get behind the enemy it will reverse its direction to charge at you so be quick in shooting them before they ram into you.

Tip 3:

For the Electro-Gates, first listen and watch the pattern before attempting to move through, especially when there are multiple Gates to move through. For the multiple Electro-Gates, once you get past the first one, you can pause between Gates without getting hit. Use this pause in the "safe zone" to time the next Gate and so on. Better to play it safe here, take your time!

I only got 10,910 so far. So nobody shows pictures in this HSC anymore?

Hehe... get lazy after a while. I noticed the more HSC's I play the lazier I get with the screenshot.

Cool... an imagic game I never heard of.

Fires up xbox..

Ok heres my new high score 5357

here are some tips

Like the 5th ghost said, when the otopus looking thing is shooting at you go back and forth on the very top of the screen. In fact just keep doing this until he shoot, you will most likely have enough time to shoot the thing coming at you. I am suprised no one has mentioned this, but after you get past the second octopus there is this colurful bird that you will see fly across your screen, be sure you are able to shoot down this bird. That bird is worth 1,000 points. Also you will not be able to get any closer to the exit by flying around my advice is just to stay put and let them come to you. When you shoot the last creature make sure you get to the exit as quickly as possible, because points are now being continually deducted from your score. This will be my last score as I have finals coming up and also I only play a game 10 times when I have to play it on an emulator.

Ok heres my new high score 5357

here are some tips  

Like the 5th ghost said, when the otopus looking thing is shooting at you go back and forth on the very top of the screen.  In fact just keep doing this until he shoot, you will most likely have enough time to shoot the thing coming at you.  I am suprised no one has mentioned this, but after you get past the second octopus there is this colurful bird that you will see fly across your screen, be sure you are able to shoot down this bird.  That bird is worth 1,000 points.   Also you will not be able to get any closer to the exit by flying around my advice is just to stay put and let them come to you.  When you shoot the last creature make sure you get to the exit as quickly as possible, because points are now being continually deducted from your score.   This will be my last score as I have finals coming up and also I only play a game 10 times when I have to play it on an emulator.

Yes,

I was going to mention the "colorful bird" but forgot. Actually, it is worth 1,040 points so it is a good idea to go after it. You will hear a special sound when it is about to appear. It will only appear once per tunnel so be sure to shoot it before getting yourself destroyed. Sometimes it won't appear at all, just listen for the special sound.

Another tip:

As you play the game, try to keep a mental note of the different patterns the enemies move by per tunnel. This will help you prepare your strategy when you play your next game. Try to remember the tunnels where the enemies shoot, reverse directions, and jump up and down. The better your plan, the more success you will have in each tunnel, thus gain an extra life in each tunnel you clear without getting hit.

Good luck!

PS- Keep an eye out for the little birds from Demon Attack. In fact, the HEXUPLEX pays homage to the Demon Attack mothership from the Intellivision version :)

TIPS:

On the top level, when ships are being sent up at you, remain towards the top and move left and right. When a ship is sent at you, move to the opposite side quickly, reverse direction rapidly and fire.

For the tunnel levels, I find it's best to remain as stationary as possible and move your ship up and down on the screen so that the enemies cannot get a good lock on you. Once one passed, follow it for a short way and shoot it.

For the force fields, watch the pattern once or twice before attempting an exit. This will help you analyze the pattern of the force fields. It will cost you a couple of points, but is much better than the alternative.

One more tip: you can switch directions very rapidly in this game. Use this to your adventage when trying to eliminate your enemies.

You picked a rare cart?!  :roll:  

It's only week 9 and you couldn't come up with a good common cart?

I never did like emulators.  :P  

Jeff

I signed up for this contest, but I haven't had one of the common carts yet, except for Yar's Revenge. Saw it too late. I haven't taken the time to figure out the emulator yet. Next game that I do have, I'll be jumping in. Not like it will matter at that point, but just for the fun of it. ;) If this contest is still running in the future I will be better prepared. I'm getting a HUGE lot of games from a fellow AA member. Anyway, some of you are true pro's and I can't imagine how you got such high scores. :o

I lose alot of points on the gates. Thanks to the Holiday, I could play today.

ALso, I don't know if someone mentioned this (they probably did), but if you don't make it down the gate correctly or fast enough, you have to restart the level and you get NO points for completing it. Harsh.

Still having trouble breaking 10k... but I improved to 9171. You may be able to turn around quickly, but if you were going full-speed, you'll have to take some time to first slow down, and then get going in the other direction. This has gotten me killed quite a few times on the Hexuplex stages.

--Zero