IGNORED

Atari troubles

Skatepunk60

Well, do you know for a fact that something like that didn't happen behind the scenes? My guess is that their management would have made a check on the legitimacy of the use of the name before letting the band use it. You should do the same. There may, in fact, be no problem with the use of the name, but you should be sure.

Another problem for you is that with these bands in existence now, it may be harder for you to use the name. Nobody wants confusion in the marketplace. Venues may be less likely to book you and labels would shy away from you if the name is too similar.

As with anything, it's usually better to be safe than sorry. Checking around won't hurt you, and if you follow all legal procedures now, you'll be protected against claims in the future.

It would also help you to come up with a distinct logo, unassociated with the video game Atari or the other 'atari' related bands. Anything that sets you apart will help.

The fuji symbol would be owned and controlled by Infogrames, and they are unlikely to allow its use.

The name 'Atari', since it existed independant of the company, cannot be owned outright, so is safe for uses outside of video games.

However, you may want to contact Atari Teenage Riot and the Atarians, as they both may have claims on the name for use in musical groups.

I would definitely check with a lawyer before going too far. I think the Atari fuji symbol would cause you problems and I'm willing to bet that Infogrames would force you to stop using it if you ever made it on their corporate radar. If you're using the word ATARI in the typeface that Atari used, they might be able to stop you from using that as well. But I'm not a lawyer, so that's not legal advice.

I do know that we chose to steer clear of legal trouble by creating our own logo and using a different typeface and colors for AtariAge. Plus we wanted something fairly distinctive.

..Al

hehe, i know atari teenage riot too, i see them like once a month. a good friend of mine is producing some of their videos and works also on parties as VJ.

since punk became the new trend of the record companies (there's only 3 left on the global market), i think alec empire and his band is one of the few remaining real punks ... he's been doing pretty impressive performance while the street riots in berlin/kreuzberg (where i live) ....

i'll try to ask him about copyright stress because of the logo/brand

quote:

Originally posted by Rhindle The Red:

The fuji symbol would be owned and controlled by Infogrames, and they are unlikely to allow its use.

It has long been my plan to get a genuine fuji-symbol (and possibly ATARI) as a tattoo. If I ever get a tattoo, that will be it, on my upper arm.

So, Infogrames, sue me! Make me remove my tattoo, due to copyright infringement, I *dare* you. Now that would make the news, wouldn't it.

Cheers

A

I think we talked about this before but I never saw the end of the conversation and now it's starting to worry. What about the Atari 5200 start-up screen? I have it enabled in the game I'm doing right now, but could Infogrames make me take it out? It would be easy to do, but I really like it (it's what sets the 5200 apart form the 400).

I suppose if I keep it quiet and don't go telling them they won't even notice. Of course look at all the trouble Bob got into with the Stella Sketch. You never know how a company with a bunch of crazed lawyers is going to react.

Tempest