IGNORED

Atari 2600 Prototype PCB with ROMS

Joel D. Park

I've been watching these go on ebay like hotcakes. There is a new one listed every 3 or 4 days or so.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?V...item=1268155422

I was wondering if anyone had ever won any of these and if there was anything on them???

Even if they were released games.. I'm just curious.

Tempest, I know you won something like this.

Joel you gonna start tempest off again hehe. i talked to him about this a week back he told me the rom werent anything good one person i think got a final released version of Denfender but nothign else at this time. I know Tempest will tells more about ( im hopeing to learn more but i hope this scam actully gets some good title (desent ones out of it . if nothing else maybe a Krull game (released version) something to feel like it was worth it but now tempest can have the floor .. ole wise Rom master please fill us in on this

There's not much to tell. I got one of the first ones (a 7800 one), the board that came wasn't actually capable of running the EPROM's it came with. It was a modified Ballblazer board, and to play those EPROM's it would need a Hex Inverter (which some of the new ones being auctioned now have).

Not to be put off by that little problem I popped the chips into my 7800 Karateka proto, held my breath and turned it on. All I got was some garbled lines of static that went across the screen. The EPROM's were all no good (if they ever were).

So to make a long story short (too late), I got a hacked Ballblazer board with some worthless EPROM's. I'm also a bit suspicious of the words LOANER written on it with a faded marker since all the proto boadrs she's selling have the exact same markings. There's a little sticker on the board with some unidentifiable markings, but all the boards seem to have this as well. I have no idea what to make of them other than they're absolutely worthless.

Tempest

True they're probably all worthless, but the fact that you actually found a game on one means they had something on them at one point. That probably means they were actual EPROMs made for some purpose (although probably not prototypes). There's more to this mystery, but unless you want to buy up and test them all for the 5 or 6 that may still have something on them we'll never know the answer.

Tempest

The funny part is that someone may actually get something good in one of those auctions and never even know it!!

I was this close to a side deal with her for a set of boards for the 5200 and the 7800 but I backed out at the last minute. I ended up buying a Vectrex off her that she had for auction, that actually worked out pretty good for me - the Vectrex really WORKS!

I think at this point, all the stuff she is selling should be considered as showpieces. I mean really, what are you going to do with a "VERY Rare Intel P4008 4004 Support Chip" for $175, for example? You gonna actually USE that thing in something?? Who knows if any of that stuff works??

She is a nice person, and I did buy that Vectrex from her, but all that other stuff

is little more than some "gee whiz" stuff that is pretty much useless, at least functionally.

[ 08-31-2001: Message edited by: MrRetroGamer ]

i bought a 7800 board for 18$ from her ....

quote:

There's not much to tell. I got one of the first ones (a 7800 one), the board that came wasn't actually capable of running the

EPROM's it came with. It was a modified Ballblazer board, and to play those EPROM's it would need a Hex Inverter (which some of

the new ones being auctioned now have).

well, not mine as it seems. and i can't get anymore informations about it, or if i can get this hex inverter.

then she offered me a 2600 board for 30$ on top. i think that was an expensive offer, as the last ones ended around 16$ ....

they're not prototypes! they're not working! they're not rare (as they appear once a week)

... so what are they?