IGNORED

who loves the junior?

Mister VCS

One of you wrote that "the six silver switches are so charming".

What do you think about the 2600A with only

four switches and.....the little Junior with his simple buttons. ..

Is this a real VCS?

I tried to love the Junior about the years

but it is impossible. The long rainbow version is a "Tramiel-Masterpiece" with red

color near the red power light!

quote:

Originally posted by Mister VCS:

One of you wrote that "the six silver switches are so charming".

What do you think about the 2600A with only

four switches and.....the little Junior with his simple buttons. ..

Well, as long as it plays 2600 cartridges, it's all okay in my book. However, it feels so much more authentic to use the original 6-switch model. Despite the dwindling amount of room I have for my console systems, I'd still rather keep my heavy sixer hooked up rather than my 2600 Jr (Yes, I have one).

Also, I always thought the 4-switch model was a bit of a step back. I use the difficulty switches on a common basis, and it would make games like Phaser Patrol really hard if you had to reach back to the joystick ports all the time. But I have a feeling the 4-switch models are the more common ones.

Converters for systems like the Colecovision and Intellivision are lower on the list too. In the end, as long as you can play 2600 games on it, then great! But you do miss out on some of the experience with some set-ups (Pressing the Select button on a 2600 Jr doesn't feel as good as pulling on a big silver switch )

--Zero

As a kid getting the junior was about the coolest thing, it was sleek, all black and had buttons instead of switches. Yet, looking back there is something to be said for the good old woodgrain 2600. There's room in my world for both. The silver switches do have a charm.

Atari Jr.? Hmm, that's one I missed somewhere along the lines of Atari history! I only had the original 2600 woodgrain model and the cloned Sears model. This is news to me! Could someone fill me in on the history via email? I'd love to know more about this system I missed!

I got the Jr. when my original 6 switch died (the joystick port went bad). I thought it was pretty good, but I didn't like the sliding switches and push buttons. The whole console had a cheap flimsy feel to it (of course that's what it was, a cheap 2600). It was an ok replacement, but I like the sturdiness and switches on the original.

Tempest