IGNORED

High Score Club Week 11: Turmoil

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss Turmoil, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

Oh no! You're stuck in a crazy world full of corridors full of monsters bent on destroying you! Luckily, you have your trusty blaster, and your lucky running shoes on, because this week's game is Turmoil!

Game Information
Left Difficulty N/A?
Right Difficulty N/A?
Game Mode Game 1: Level 1
Chosen By Goochman

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Sunday, June 21st at midnight (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

If you don't have a copy of this game, you can find a copy of the ROM at AtariAge's Profile Page for this game. You can find such things as a typed copy of the manual, reviews, screenshots, and other information there.

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a reply saying so, and I'll add you to the list!

Next week's game will be chosen by NE146 Please send me a Private Message letting me know which game (and difficulty settings) you've chosen as soon as possible NE146!

High Scores:

• [*]silverfuji.gif330,360 (Jeffy Arensmeyer)
[+10]
[*]bronzefuji.gif304,110 (sku_u) [+8]
[*]193,870 (Chris++) [+7]
[*]175,810 (the 5th ghost) [+6]
[*]124,980 (homerwannabee) [+5]
[*]103,580 (taxman) [+4]
[*]100,180 (khryssun) [+3]
[*]98,750 (Goochman) [+2]
[*]84,540 (LarcenTyler) [+1]
[*]77,160 (Ze_ro)
[*]76,360 (jedijeff)
[*]76,270 (crsdawg)
[*]75,570 (Thomas Jentzsch)
[*]74,690 (gospeedde)
[*]70,700 (bjk7382)
[*]70,270 (Shannon)
[*]68,240 (Christophero Sly)
[*]44,980 (Robert M)
[*]41,690 (Tsukasa)
[*]23,450 (Dan Iacovelli)
[*]14,500 (Kepone)Twin Galaxies Top 3:
  • 412,090 (Ron Corcoran)
    [*]292,450 (Robert Mruczek)
    [*]153,090 (Alan Hewston)
Best Tips:

Score Statistics
  • Average Score: 147,100
    [*]Std. Deviation: 44,324
    [*]Total Score: 3,236,190

Current Standings
[*]Todd Rogers [84]
[*]sku_u [65]
[*]Jeffy Arensmeyer [57]
[*]jedijeff [54]
[*]Stingray [40]
[*]Ze_ro [40]
[*]Saldo [27]
[*]bobafett07728 [27]
[*]Chris++ [26]
[*]stayrunner [24]
[*]bjk7382 [23]
[*]taxman [19]
[*]The 8th Passenger [17]
[*]Shannon [17]
[*]crsdawg [14]
[*]HermChase [13]
[*]homerwannabee [12]
[*]NovaXpress [12]
[*]Christophero Sly [12]
[*]NintendoDieScreaming [11]
[*]Numan [11]
[*]Tsukasa [9]
[*]Thomas Jentzsch [9]
[*]Keir [7]
[*]dykesr [7]
[*]mikeftrevino [7]
[*]Kurushimi [6]
[*]Paul Slocum [6]
[*]Goochman [5]
[*]StanJr [5]
[*]DeV0 [4]
[*]maibock [2]
[*]Robert M [1]
[*]chrisbid [1]
[*]InanimateCarbonRod [0]
[*]shining slade [0]
[*]gospeedde [0]
[*]LarcenTyler [0]
[*]Saikyo [0]
[*]Scooterb23 [0]
[*]moycon [0]
[*]gamerz [0]
[*]128bytes [0]
[*]video game addict [0]
[*]khryssun [0]
[*]LU8 [0]
[*]Dan Iacovelli [0]
[*]fsuinnc [0]
[*]iguana [0]
[*]davepesc [0]
[*]Albert [0]
[*]pmpddytim [0]
[*]karnov [0]
[*]pitfallaimee [0]
[*]Gamemaster_ca_2003 [0]
[*]Happy_Dude [0]
[*]Kialan [0]
[*]xmetalhedx [0]
[*]Adrian M [0]
[*]intvgene [0]
[*]ScottHuggins [0]
[*]jeepnut24 [0]
[*]figgler [0]
[*]Old_Atarian [0]
[*]hobbles [0]
[*]johnnywc [0]
[*]PaulEMoz [0]
[*]atari_wizard [0]
[*]lost child [0]
[*]Nateo [0]
[*]NE146 [0]
[*]Bunsen [0]
[*]chadtower [0]
[*]Big Player [0]

Standings are current as of the beginning of this week,
and do NOT include points from this week's game. If
you think there has been a mistake in any of the
scoring, please contact me.

Member List
NE146, Cootster, 128bytes, Kurushimi, liquid_sky, intvgene, ScottHuggins, InanimateCarbonRod, pmpddytim, Xot, Scooterb23, Dan Iacovelli, LarcenTyler, sku_u, Luigi301, Max-T, adams_ale, gamerz, Christophero Sly, Trooper, Nateo, homerwannabee, lost child, Happy_Dude, video game addict, Spirantho, bobafett07728, mikefrevino, Paul Slocum, fsuinnc, Gamemaster_ca_2003, Robert M, DeV0, Gateway, Mendon, Fretwobbler, PaulEMoz, killersquirel, shining slade, chadtower, gospeedde, stayrunner, Big Player, Swingtown, Chris++, hotpants, hobbles, Ze_ro, maibock, moycon, somePUNK, Saldo, Stingray, Kepone, xmetalhedx, chrisbid, Kialan, Jeffy Arensmeyer, Keir, ToddRogers, Numan, iguana, LU8, jeepnut24, Albert, Tsukasa, Adrian M, dykesr, EricDeLee, Thomas Jentzsch, The 8th Passenger, the 5th ghost, Bunsen, atari_wizard, jedijeff, davepesc, maximebeauvais, buzzguy, bjk7382, khryssun, HermChase, wiz21mx, karnov, Goochman

Scoring Points in Turmoil - Yes, after 99,990

Hints and Tips
As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well no problem, because AtariAge has a typed copy of the manual available online right over here.

What's that? You're too damn lazy to click that link? Well, here's what it has to say:
  • Hold the joystick button down and race up and down the screen to wipe out the aliens. Go touch the Prizes as soon as they appear and then race back to the middle as fast as you can. Your ship will stop automatically when it reaches the center alley.
    [*]Press the Color/B-W lever to pause Turmoil at
    any time during play.

Good luck everyone!

--Zero

(the manual)
Pause game play and allow the maze to cycle through various colors. Press the Color/BW switch again to resume game play at the current color. (AtariAge)
If you do end up pausing the game using the B&W/Color switch, make sure that when you come back, you actually use the same switch to un-pause the game... I lost a pretty decent score by accidentally turning the system off! (Ze_ro)
Shoot the white arrows before they reach the other side of the screen and turn into the tanks. The arrows are worth more points than the tanks. If a tank appears, shoot it from behind to destroy it. Hitting it head on only pushes it back. (the 5th ghost)
In the faster stages try tapping the joystick up and down to avoid danger. This will move you up or down one row at a time. You want to avoid accidental collisions caused by going to far up or down. (the 5th ghost)
In the invisible wall stages, when you get the treasure make sure you quickly turn back and don't turn up or down until you reach the center. (you will stop once you reach the center of the screen.) (the 5th ghost)
Don't wait too long in one row, a blocker will shoot quickly at you and you can't shoot it. (the 5th ghost)
Try using the peripheral vision technique. Stare at the center of the screen while playing. (the 5th ghost)
One way to take a slight break from the game on any level is when a tank is coming at you just hold down the fire button, what will happen is the tank will never be able to quite reach you because your constantly firing. (homerwannabee)
Another tip to score higher on each level is to be patient and take you're time shooting the bad guy's, what will happen is there will be more treasure's to pick up. You can basically double you're normal score in early rounds if you're patient. (homerwannabee)
I also like to hang out at the top edge. The reason I do this is because if you hang out in the middle it is easy to accidently go to far and get killed both way's, but if you hang out at the top or bottom you only can get killed going to far one way. (homewannabee)
When you are on an invisible wall stage, be sure to look at you're score after you get your treasure, you can go up or down where the third number is. For instance if your score is at the time 14723 then you would stop to up or down at the number 7. (homerwannabee)
The game makes a specific noise when an Arrow shows up on the screen... since you don't want it to turn into a tank, you'd be well advised to listen carefully so that you can do something about Arrows before it's too late. (Ze_ro)
Tips:
(Jeffy Arensmeyer)

First off, the score rolls back to zero every 100,000 points.

Some tips:

Shoot the white arrows before they reach the other side of the screen and turn into the tanks. The arrows are worth more points than the tanks. If a tank appears, shoot it from behind to destroy it. Hitting it head on only pushes it back.

In the faster stages try tapping the joystick up and down to avoid danger. This will move you up or down one row at a time. You want to avoid accidental collisions caused by going to far up or down.

In the invisible wall stages, when you get the treasure make sure you quickly turn back and don't turn up or down until you reach the center. (you will stop once you reach the center of the screen.)

Don't wait too long in one row, a blocker will shoot quickly at you and you can't shoot it.

Try using the peripheral vision technique. Stare at the center of the screen while playing.

That's all I can think of for now, have fun!

Great game! :)

I only played three times so far, with a final score of 63,870.

If you do end up pausing the game using the B&W/Color switch, make sure that when you come back, you actually use the same switch to un-pause the game... I lost a pretty decent score by accidentally turning the system off!

--Zero

Since this game is pretty easy to flip at 99,990, are we waiving the max out rule for this one?

Yes. I wasn't aware before this week that the game flipped at such a low score, but since at least half of the people here are probably capable of flipping it, I guess that rule will have to take a break this week. Or would you guys prefer to set the cap at 1,000,000 or something?

By the way, I used my Blessed +3 Edit Button of Godly Might to resize some of the screenshots that were posted. Some of them (Kepone, Tsukasa) were so big that they were screwing up the page layout... screenshots are cool and all, but there's no need to post 200k behemoths in order to prove your score :P

--Zero

By the way, I used my Blessed +3 Edit Button of Godly Might to resize some of the screenshots that were posted. Some of them (Kepone, Tsukasa) were so big that they were screwing up the page layout... screenshots are cool and all, but there's no need to post 200k behemoths in order to prove your score :P

--Zero

I didn't edit the image well enough. My apologies.

I will give Turmoil another shot. I want to beat the high score I have now.