IGNORED

Bubble Bobble

Tezz

if you tell me what the font VIC adress is i can search in vice and patch on my own...

[Prod, prod] It's running two fonts and two screens for double buffering; fonts are stored at at $4000 and $4800, screens at $5000 and $5400. There seem to be a couple of frames between buffer flips but the soft sprites only deal with unfilled bubbles, bonuses are static character objects and all nasties and dinos seem to be sprites. A little further messing about and it seems to need close to half a font just for the soft sprites...

As for the football, couldn't care less... =-)

Heaven/TQA btw... and again... i do not feel sorry for england...why does beckham shoot the 1st penalty kick???????? again...what a game...
What a terrible night for England :( that must be the worst referee I've ever seen. We certainly played the usual "lets just defend now that we've scored" typical performance but a great header in 90 minutes should have seen England through. What's such a bad referee doing working at this level. was he paid off? ah well at least the tradition of England losing in penalties was there again.. 120 Minutes of stress and then the inevitable lose again :( Who would have guessed the Italy, Germany and Spain going out in the first round. That must be a first. oh well back to normal life...

TMR It's running two fonts and two screens for double buffering; fonts are stored at at $4000 and $4800, screens at $5000 and $5400. There seem to be a couple of frames between buffer flips but the soft sprites only deal with unfilled bubbles, bonuses are static character objects and all nasties and dinos seem to be sprites. A little further messing about and it seems to need close to half a font just for the soft sprites...
Nice one, thats handy to know, cheers.

Can u patch the C64 version Heaven?

tezz... let the netherlands beat the dust tomorrow... ;) as kind of revange...

c64...i can't patch it as except for the 6510 i am not familiar with da beast... esp. reg. VIC registers... (where is the 756 register... ;))

(ok... i can do this: inc 53280 jmp loop...)

Heaven, changing fontpages on the c64 is a bit more complex.

We have register 53272 (VIC-II register $D018

which is used for the kilobyte offset within a bank of 16kb memory.

Low nybble=charbase kb offset (bit 0 unused as we have 2kb big fonts)

high nybble=screenmemory kb offset within the same bank

see code:

lda $d018

and #240

ora #X       ;see notes below

sta $d018

Now we've got to select a bank which is used by VIC-II (for screenmemory, fonts, spriteshape pointers, spritedata). We need to write to bits 0 and 1 of 56576 = "6526-CIA #2"-port A ($DD00)

see code:

lda $dd02    ;data direction register

ora #03      ;make sure bits 0 and 1 of port A are outputs

sta $dd02

lda $dd00    ;port A

and #252

ora #Y       ;see notes below

sta $dd00

X value should be f.e. 4 if we use $1000-$17ff in bank 0

Y value should be 3 minus banknumber:

Y=0  --> bank $c000-$ffff

Y=1  --> bank $8000-$bfff

Y=2  --> bank $4000-$7fff

Y=3  --> bank $0000-$3fff

Cool work guys. ;)

Heaven/TQA maybe i dig into bubble bobble code with the emulator...
Me too! The C64 Sprite/Font ripper is a handy utility. works off an emulator snapshot so memory locations are in the right place (i.e. loaded and unpacked) I should pull the code apart and examine it to see if I can get some ideas from it.

Will need to carefully plan the font usage next but, so far it looks good to me. The background tiles, collectable objects and the software sprite nasties are not too many to be impossible.

Heaven let the netherlands beat the dust tomorrow
Yeah, absolutely, good luck Netherlands, these guys are playing some nice football. With France now out of the way there's not much to stop you now.

Hi all,

WIP so far.. I've got many of the routines underway now and all is looking good so far ;) .. I've descided to run a few tests in Turbo Basic to check out my intended screen layouts, The display list, font usage etc.

Does anyone have a basic listing to convert an includable font file into basic data statements?... I suppose reading the contents of the font file and making it write 8 numbers at a time into a set of data statement strings. I'm sure years ago I wrote such a program but that's lost now.

I will need to automate this as it would take an age to input this stuff and the whole idea is to quickly test stuff out so that I'm ready to code.

Heaven/TQA ? why not simply do this  

open #1,4,0,"d:font.fnt  

bget #1,fontadr,1024  

close#1  

poke 756,fontadr div 256

Yes, I can of course read the file to a location ?? thanks, I did know that :D I was going to actually read the file bytes and convert to a set of data statement strings using a "binary put and get routine" into data statement strings because I have used some "partial" fonts and wanted to have the data listed so I can simply change the shape data in basic for quick testing. It's a handy little program to have. I've found it useful for many situations.

I suppose I could use Windows font editor and then read the file to a location such as above.

?????
Yes, sorry it was a bit unclear. Thanks for the reply, it's much appreciated :)

• 4 weeks later...

Tezz

G2F v3.7.9... support animation in Edit Maps

Alt+M

File->Load->*.map or File->New

Press button Export -> saved file *.asm, *.asq, *.fnt, *.frm -> compile file *.asm with XASM

but rasters, colors per line, sprites not supported in this version (RAM)

bubb.zip

tebe G2F v3.7.9... support animation in Edit Maps
Wow !! :) That's great. I'm totally impressed. Thanks for the bubble bobble intro animation also. I can't wait to try this all out later on :D

JayoK FYI Tebe's compiled code attached
Thanks for that ;)

:D :D :D Tezz !

• 2 months later...

Mention and a couple of screenshots in the Bubble Bobble piece (called Bubble Trouble); page 40, in the box-out labelled "Fan remakes" and the text says "And finally, perhaps the most unusual remake currently in development is a new version for the Atari 800." followed by a link into this very thread...! [Waves to anyone who saw the link in the mag. =-]

TMR And finally, perhaps the most unusual remake currently in development is a new version for the Atari 800." followed by a link into this very thread...!
That's cool, I never saw that. Must be an avid atariage user in there somewhere!!

They certainly appear to know their stuff at Retro Gamer... =-)

yup. definitly... i mailed the guys today if there is any chance to get the mag in germany maybe on aitports etc... but as it seems i have to subscribe... ;)

but retro gamer they are really dedicated maniacs... maybe little bit too much speccy (ok...its a uk mag) but you really get a flashback... hope that the hype will not kill the mag...

but i have to get the top 100... hehehe... sad that they have revied in issue 7 rampage for 8bit which is definitly a bad port... any idea why they have written for turrican3 that there is just a demo on the covermount and video but you can download the full d64 from the net???