IGNORED

Who owns PAL Pengo (black picture label)?

Spirantho

• 3 months later...
i also have a black pengo (and a silver one, but that is probably ntsc) ... i don't think it is that rare ...

What's the copyright year on the label?

Could you make a nice scan of the cart?

8)

i don't have it here, it's in the storage ... gotta find that one in between my 1000+ carts :P

Edited by jahfish

• 2 months later...

I now have one on it's way :) Is it a rarity 9 or 10? In the AA guide it's 9, but in the PAL Guide listed in the forum, it's a 10...

Will the rarity go up, if it's also box, not just a loose cart? I mean, is the rarity guides based on carts or complete games?

I now have one on it's way :) Is it a rarity 9 or 10? In the AA guide it's 9, but in the PAL Guide listed in the forum, it's a 10...

Will the rarity go up, if it's also box, not just a loose cart? I mean, is the rarity guides based on carts or complete games?

As far as I know, no one has ever seen a box for a PAL Pengo, so yes, this would much increase it's rarity (and value) :)

Based on Rom Hunters standard (only 3 copies know to exist), the PAL Pengo is no R10 but probably R9.

Are you sure its the black label version or the silver label version? How 'bout some pics when it arrives?

I have pictures, but I will wait with the posting until I have the stuff in my hands ;)

The box is a "rental box", but somehow they must have made it from something else... well, I guess we will know more about this in a couple of days!

I have pictures, but I will wait with the posting until I have the stuff in my hands ;)

The box is a "rental box", but somehow they must have made it from something else... well, I guess we will know more about this in a couple of days!

Please keep us informed about this.

The instructions sheets must have been put in some sort of packaging.

8)

Please keep us informed about this.

The instructions sheets must have been put in some sort of packaging.

8)

I would imagine the box is a video-style case.. I have some Intellivision games in boxes like that.

Nonetheless, photos! Please. :)

It was part of a lot, including 5 other rental boxed games, such as H.E.R.O and Pitfall II. 10 loose carts and a Atari 2600 JR with sticks and paddles.

Total? Approx $100 :) Yes, I know, I'm a lucky bastard :party:

Edited by mibe

It was part of a lot, including 5 other rental boxed games, such as H.E.R.O and Pitfall II. 10 loose carts and a Atari 2600 JR with sticks and paddles.

Total? Approx $100 :) Yes, I know, I'm a lucky bastard :party:

are they from denmark or sweden?

i am curious which rental had those ... do you know more about it? ... and i'm also wondering if that pengo is the real thing. it reminds me of two fake atari carts that i picked up from italy a while ago ... i'll post pictures later ...

how did the other rental games look like? are hero and pitfall exactly like the original games or also variations?

Edited by jahfish

They are from a Video Rental Place in Sollefteå (Northern Sweden) called Videobutiken. The stuff was put aside in 1986 and have been in an attic (or something like that) since then. All the rental boxes looks like that and the Swedish instructions are on the back (I guess a fake would'nt have that).

I'm 99.99% sure it's not a fake - if that's the case it's an absolute masterpiece and all the rest of my carts might be fake as well ;)

BTW, why do you suspect it could be a fake?

They are from a Video Rental Place in Sollefteå (Northern Sweden) called Videobutiken. The stuff was put aside in 1986 and have been in an attic (or something like that) since then. All the rental boxes looks like that and the Swedish instructions are on the back (I guess a fake would'nt have that).

I'm 99.99% sure it's not a fake - if that's the case it's an absolute masterpiece and all the rest of my carts might be fake as well ;)

Please post a picture of the carts and boxes of the other games (front and back)!!!

just because i can hardly imagine that a big company like atari would do this for a small videorental ... i mean delivering all their original artwork, but then create labels that are not coherent with the original games labels ...

sure the box looks like a great job ... but the game label doesn't ... only like an 'ok' job!

it reminds me strongly of the brasilian carts of which a lot were done themselves by the rental places (with customised labels though) but they also had instructions (in portugese)

i simply think the video rental did this on their own, rather than atari & activision (and possibly other video game companies). i can hardly imagine all the 'big players' creating extra videorental box inlays just for one small place in sweden.

nonetheless ... i'm not trying to say at all that your carts are not valuable! they surely are! it is a pretty unique type of box & label! great find, specially with the xtra piece of history backing up the origin of them!

:cool:

just because i can hardly imagine that a big company like atari would do this for a small videorental ... i mean delivering all their original artwork, but then create labels that are not coherent with the original games labels ...

sure the box looks like a great job ... but the game label doesn't ... only like an 'ok' job!

it reminds me strongly of the brasilian carts of which a lot were done themselves by the rental places (with customised labels though) but they also had instructions (in portugese)

i simply think the video rental did this on their own, rather than atari & activision (and possibly other video game companies). i can hardly imagine all the 'big players' creating extra videorental box inlays just for one small place in sweden.

nonetheless ... i'm not trying to say at all that your carts are not valuable! they surely are! it is a pretty unique type of box & label! great find, specially with the xtra piece of history backing up the origin of them!

Jahfish - only a small handful of Black label Pengo's have surfaced, and i don't believe any have been found in Sweden?? If that's the case, where did the Video Rental place get the artwork for the label if not from Atari? If they bought an original copy from a store and pirated it, why not use the original black box artwork (if it exists)?

I think I can answer the last question myself - I feel that Atari did not make a black label box but just used the silver label box. I remember a collector here stating that they had seen a pile of silver label boxes in Europe back in the day (can't remember the country), so maybe there is no black box.

Your thoughts?

The game label are identical to the original PAL label, where can you spot the difference? If the Rental did their own copy for the cart, why not use the (much more common) NTSC version or the box art version? And where did they find the (almost unheard of) PAL label?

If I don't misunderstand, you believe the cart label it's an 'ok' job? In my opinion it's a 100% perfect job (if I compare to the rest of my collection). But maybe you mean the box art? In that case I have never said I believe it to be an original "PAL box", because they don't exist. But I still believe it's a rental box, with 'ok' from Atari. In those days there where no Inkjet printers, so they probably had to make professional offsets for the print, not very cheap if they just made a "home version" for their video shop ;)

BTW: The labels on your pirate carts look really bad compared to this Pengo cart, how can you even compare? :-o As I mentioned earlier, I hardly believe a "simple" video store went through all the offset work/cost just to make a copy for this rental cart. It would've been much easier just to put on a sticker with the Pengo name - right?

Dino: There are some carts in Sweden, maybe two of them...

Edited by mibe

Maybe this answers the question of why PAL Pengo is so rare...

Maybe Atari only distributed copies to rental stores, not retail outlets?

This would explain:

a) Why it's so rare (a lot less rental stores)

b) Why there's no box (the rental stores would probably use a card inlay and recycle the rental box)

It's possible Atari did a short production run (it was 1986 after all) and cancelled the release after sending out the rental copies which it may have been contracted to do.

Just supposition, but there must be some reason why PAL Pengo is so rare.