IGNORED

I don't feel like writing...

Osbo

I don't know you guys, but I don't feel like writing or playing with my atari... I don't want to trow a wet blanket, it's just how I feel and I'll probably take some time out from chat and message boards...

Osbo

[ 09-13-2001: Message edited by: osbo ]

Osbo, we know how you feel, like many of us. Give yourself a break for awhile, we'll still be here. Not much you can do regarding things right now, and as much as this sounds cruel....life goes on. You have to keep doing things normally at some point. Just my two cents.

Yeah. I'm with you osbo. Since Tuesday I don't feel much like doing anything, but as Steve said life must go on. I'll probably be less present on these boards for a while just to give myself time to focus on the events of this week and gather my thoughts. Fear not, I'll be back

Down, but never out, Stan.

It's difficult for me as well, and I have more of an obligation to post messages here. Tuesday for me started innocently enough, I woke up at 9am CST to take a shower and get ready for work, but I first went over to my computer to check my email. Then I looked at the Active Topics on AtariAge, where I spied a message, "OH MY GOD!" stating that a plane had hit the Pentagon. I then tried to hit various news sites, but couldn't get through to any of them.

So I wandered over to the television and casually turned it on. To my horror I saw a single, burning World Trace Center tower. At first I thought I was only seeing a single tower because of the camera angle, but quickly realized that the second tower was simply gone. I was dumbfounded and couldn't believe what I was seeing. I can't even repeat here what I was exclaiming out loud. And that was before they showed the burning Pentagon. Not long after this I saw the second tower collapse on live TV.

Needless to say, I never made it to work on Tuesday. While I normally spend a fair amount of time on AtariAge throughout the week, it's been difficult to focus on classic gaming as this tragedy has unfolded.

..Al

Some more thoughts on this, even though this isn't the place in the boards for it. As a country, we're united and will be for a long time to come. I've never seen this country pull together like this, with so much love, hope, and prayer. I'm in total awe of the unity right now, all across the USA. As someone said, if you let the terrorists demoralize us, they've won. By continuing our lives, we've shown them we can't be beaten. Just my thoughts.

I think the point is that most conflict springs from disagreements over land or religion, sometimes both. However, it would be impossible to ban religion as long as it continues to exist. You cannot ban a belief, and you will definitely lose more in trying than you would if you left it alone. Peaceful toleration and cooperation of all belief systems is the only real way to stymie this form of conflict (if that's even really possible)

As for jahfish's nationality, don't forget that Germany is the birthplace of Protestantism and religious reform.

Just to add my 2 cents, this is the first time I have posted since all this happened for the very reasons stated above.

I'm still very shaky, and it is hard for me to type, I spent the first couple of hours at work geting reports from people with radios, then we were allowed to go home, and I watched everything on TV, nothing live, just everything repeated over and over again.

Wednesday I went to help my grandma through surgery, so my mind was off the events for a while, a small comfort. I tried going to work on Thurday, and over lunch I head some bad news about a friend of mine's family, and I broke down completely. I went home and spent the rest of Thursday and all of Friday in bed with the lights out, but with the tv still plying these horrifying scenes, and I was bound and determined to do the same today (Saturday).

Finally at noon, I jumped out of bed, got dressed and went shopping, just for the sheer sake of spending money. Now, I can't say I'm over anything, but I feel like I've turned a corner, although work tomorrow will be hard again.

I've deleted all news channels from my satellite viewing list, I just can't bear seeing these things again.

This is also the first time I've been able to spill my guts as to these events, as everyone else around me says "Yeah, it's hard, but you have to move on, we have." Well, I can't get over it that easily for some reason. That's why I'm scared, not for my safety, but for my mental and physical health, I literally think I'm losing my mind. I'm probably overdramatizing it, but in my mind that's what I'm feeling.

Well, thanks for letting me blabber, I feel a little better, probably going to go throw up again though(4th time now) that gives me a little relief too, I know I'm sick now. BTW, just to creep me out even more, I bought Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, with a level in NYC, I didn't know that when I bought it, going to be a while before I can play that level again...

Peace and love,

Scott

Take it easy Scott. There are a lot of people discussing this over on the Atari General area. It is good for you to communicate to others about this so you don't lose your mind. It might be good to talk to someone more trained to help you work through this (I am NOT saying you're mental or need therapy) just that it might help. I'm glad they have stopped playing the scenes from Tues. so much. Take care of yourself and if you need to talk this out feel free to drop me an e-mail. It helps.

Understanding Stan.

Scott, we all know how you feel. You're not the only one, as much as I've said that we need to push beyond this, it's still way too early. I share your grief, remorse, and pain at what's happened. I'm also available to email if you need to talk some things out. I've been irritable, depressed, and downright shaken to my foundation with this, so you're NOT alone. The key is talking to others, other human beings. Share yourself with them, don't hold this in! Go to someone you trust. Share it with someone who understands you, Scott. Talk out your feeling with others. You'd be surprised how much everyone, from coast to coast, feels exactly the way you do, in one level or another.

Thanks for the kind words, I am a very private person, so don't hold your breath looking for e-mails from me anyway, getting my mind back on games for the last couple of hours has helped my immensely. Just responding to any and all video game questions on many boards I have any knowledge about has gotten my mind back in the mindset I like to be in, I am finally concentrating on something enjoyable, this and that lame-o on the Press Your Luck rerun who just blew it!! Anyway, I know it's going to be hard, but I know I have a community to fall back on if need be. I know this isn't the right board for this conversation, but it's the one I directly link to, so I forget the other ones are there sometimes. Thanks. Oh and StanJr. I am mental and I definitely need help, but that's another looooong story

Later all,

Scott

I did watch it live (I work in a cable company) when the second plane hit one of the towers and when the towers came down. It's one of the most horrific things I've ever watched in my life. But this show us how we stand up as brothers, as a one country, and we will move on over this, and make sure it'll never happends again, here in America or somewere in the world. And

GOD BLESS AMERICA, MY HOME, SWEET HOME!

Osbo

Good to hear Scott (about you begin mental and all). And you are right about one thing: Atari and these boards have been great therapy in their own way. It gets me away from the TV and gives me things to shoot at to work out my aggression (My Centipede game is getting a work out!)

quote:

Originally posted by osbo:

I don't know you guys, but I don't feel like writing or playing with my atari[ 09-13-2001: Message edited by: osbo ]

I feel the same way. I planned to work on my resume this week (lost my job in June and enjoyed the summer) and finish an article I was writing for Pocket Games magazine. Couldn't concentrate on either. Instead, on Tuesday I drove to a bridge near my house where I was able to see the Twin Towers one last time (I live less than 13 miles away). Smoke was billowing out of them but they were still there (while driving over the bridge, it was announced over the radio that the Pentagon was hit).

Later that day, I went by that spot again. The smoke was still there but that was all.

Fortunately, I don't know anyone who's missing but my heart and prayers go out to all who are.

What happend on tuesday is something that has changed our lives here in the U.S. for ever, and we will no longer have a feeling of being safe from these S.O.B. that kill people with out any feelings in there hart, but we must go on and live our lives the best we can, and for those of us who collect Atari items, a chance to relive a time in our lives when we never thought that something like this would ever happen to us.

Let us please try to help one another in these times and do what we must to keep on being who we are.