IGNORED

VCS Simulator

mos6507

quote:

Originally posted by Joel D. Park:

I think its a great idea, but I would much rather see real VCS games get created instead.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not really sure what the point of the VCS Simulator is, except for to make an easier platform for programming (Though since I haven't programmed anything for either, I can't really say for sure)

--Zero

Maybe his intention was to have a virtual system that ran VCS-style games, but was much easier to write for than a real system? But everyone I think agrees (including Christian) that it's not an exact VCS emulation - the sounds alone are a dead give-away

Wonder if it would be possible to write a program that would allow you to write for the VCS in a different/easier language..

I believe there are compilers out there that will produce 6502 machine language... I'd imagine that what it gives you would expect to be run on something a little more powerful than a 2600 though... or at least something with a decent amount of RAM and such. I wonder how difficult it would be to alter a C-64 or Atari 400 compiler so that it actually produced something that would work on a 2600... this is well beyond my abilities though.

I think even in the end, you might be forced to write in machine language anyways. Compilers can never optimize the code nearly as well as can be done by yourself (This is probably a major point, considering the limitations of the Atari)... not to mention that there's a lot of cycle-counting involved in Atari programming... I'm not sure how you'd work this in C or Basic or whatever...

It would be quite nifty if someone were to throw together a simple framework for a space-shooter game, and commented the code nicely so that it could be easily customized with your own graphics, scoring, theme, etc... you could make it vertical and add shields so it would be like Space Invaders, or you could make it horizontal and make a Space Jockey clone. Of course, something like this would be TONS easier than writing a game from scratch, but it would be nowhere near as flexible.

--Zero

quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Maybe his intention was to have a virtual system that ran VCS-style games, but was much easier to write for than a real system? But everyone I think agrees (including Christian) that it's not an exact VCS emulation...

You are totally write Scott.

Indeed, there's some minor differences from a real VCS and it's obvious that technical purists have noticed that.

So regarding that fact I understand Glenn's remark.

But my first goal wasn't to be 101% technical perfect but just to provide fun VCS-like games to the Atari VCS players community.

I think the feeling to play real VCS games using VCS Simulator is 99.9%.

Regarding the lot of compliment emails I received I think I've reached my goal.

BTW :

- YES, VCSS allows minor improved graphic effects compared to a real VCS.

but generally I try to be as close as possible to the real VCS capabilities.

- YES, the sounds need improvements

- YES, I can write VCSS games without regarding to much about the Kb used