IGNORED

I really like the 8 bit versions of popular games

Brad2600

I took some time to check out a batch of games that I received in the mail today and I like them.

Actually, I LOVE Pac-Man and Donkey Kong. I also think that Dig Dug, Cavern of Mars, Centipede and Defender are solid ports.

Though I also collect for most other Atari systems, I find the ports on the 8 bit systems to be more balanced and fun to play. Not to say that their 2600 counterparts aren't fun too as well.

I think buying an 800XL was a smart decision. I can't wait to see what else I can find for the 800XL when it comes to games. :D

I took some time to check out a batch of games that I received in the mail today and I like them.  

Actually, I LOVE Pac-Man and Donkey Kong. I also think that Dig Dug, Cavern of Mars, Centipede and Defender are solid ports.  

Though I also collect for most other Atari systems, I find the ports on the 8 bit systems to be more balanced and fun to play. Not to say that their 2600 counterparts aren't fun too as well.  

I think buying an 800XL was a smart decision. I can't wait to see what else I can find for the 800XL when it comes to games. :D

You should really pick up Millipede, Donkey Kong Jr., and Pole Position. They're all excellent ports of classic arcade games, and very cheap.

Moon Patrol is pretty good, but the graphics are kind of blocky.

If you can spare the $$$, though, get Sunmark's DataSoft multicart. It has a number of excellent arcade ports on it, and is well worth the money.

I have Pole Position as well.

I think I'm going to use my 800XL for playing games and just collect the 2600 and other Atari games.

I could consider a multicart. However, it's fun to collect individual games.

If anyone has any spare 8 bit games to unload, let me know.

Is it just me, or is Donkey Kong quite hard to play? I keep getting killed by all the rolling barrels and never make it past the second ladder.

I would still suggest getting the sio2pc adapter for playing games. ;)

I know, I like supporting all the 8bit vendors out there but the sio2pc setups and even the AtariMax flash carts are a better gaming investment for the older games.

Not to be rude or anything, but I've never seen myself as someone who would be into emulation of any kind. I'm sure it's easier and takes up less space. However, part of the fun for me is acquiring and playing the actual cartridges.

I could still consider getting a siopc2. However, I am interested in picking up some games I really like. Is there a version of Tapper available? I'll have to look for Mr.Do.

I can't wait for the 8bit section to be up and running here. I'm referring to the rarity guide and screenshots and all.

Not to be rude or anything, but I've never seen myself as someone who would be into emulation of any kind.

It isn't emulation, you load the games into your 800xl thru the sio port on the back. The games look exactly as they would if you were running the cartrige or disk :)

I am sure you will notice pretty quick that 8-bit cartriges (especially uncommon ones) are much harder to find than 2600 games of the same rarity. And even large lots of pretty common ones go for quite a bit on ebay.

Caverns of Mars was not a port. It was an Atari original. Infact it made

it's debut in APX (Atari program exchange) a catalog Atari distributed

with software that was sent in from independent programmers.

kvn

Cavern of Mars

Glad you're enjoying it! :D

I just got 8-bit versions of David's Midnight Magic and Robotron. Both excellent ports as well.

I'm still looking for Lode runner (love that game) and Pengo though. :ponder:

If I get some extra cash together I might pick up the 8-bit Castle Crisis, it looks incredible.

• 3 weeks later...