The AtariAge Forum is undergoing a major upgrade today.  The forum is currently in read-only mode except for the Announcements Forum.  Please read this important post!

Photo

My 1st Atari 2600 game (Man Goes Down)

423 replies to this topic

#401 FujiSkunk OFFLINE  

FujiSkunk

Quadrunner

• 7,635 posts
  • Behold the Fuji!

Posted Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:22 PM

Just dusting off this thread to say that I played Man Goes Down for the first time at last year's Houston Area Arcade Expo, thanks to Albert and the incomparable spread of games he offers every year he shows up.  I was instantly hooked.  Fast forward almost a year, and I remembered I still hadn't acquired the game.  After finding this thread and catching up on news, I'll just add my voice to the many who hope Alex is okay and will one day decide to come back and finish this.  Until then, thank you, talented sir, for what we have so far!

#402 StanJr OFFLINE  

StanJr

Web-slinger

• 15,451 posts
  • fun or bust

Posted Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:31 PM

Dear lord, please let this game be finished and released.  One of the most addictive homebrews I have ever played (and that is saying something given the homebrews out there). 

#403 AtariBrian OFFLINE  

AtariBrian

River Patroller

• 3,663 posts

Posted Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:35 PM

I looked it up on youtube and the title screen music is amazing . 

#404 Albert ONLINE  

Albert

Quadrunner

• 35,430 posts

Posted Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:37 PM

Yes, it's a very fun game, and I still play it from time to time as it's the game I use to test AtariVoxes.  :)  I will have a copy with me at PRGE if anyone wants to play.  Probably the best use of AtariVox audio and sound effects in a game as well. 

..Al

#405 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 3,937 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:38 PM

The humor in the AtariVox speech is unsurpassed!
My Godson's brother (special needs) however did not like that it tells you "You suck!" when you die early, and I witnessed him beating Sonic 3 on my real Genesis when he was 9.
But I made him laugh day after day by repeating what Man Goes Down says when you get 2nd!
"First of the losers!"

#406 Albert ONLINE  

Albert

Quadrunner

• 35,430 posts

Posted Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:42 PM

While the humor is great, it's the nuances and inflections in the voice that really shine.  Most games do not control the AtariVox as exquisitely as Man Goes Down.  There's even a "May the fruit be with you" line, complete with perfectly-replicated R2D2 beeps.

..Al

#407 wongojack OFFLINE  

wongojack

River Patroller

• 3,413 posts

Posted Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:39 PM

Mangooooooooo

Edit - I forgot that I'd already Mangooooooooo'd this thread on the previous page.

#408 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Cyborg Bounty Hunter

• 18,497 posts
  • Alita Jean

Posted Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:45 PM

Is this the latest build: mgd_201204.zip?

EDIT - I got the bin from the website. Although I had a hard time finding a link to the file. Thanks to another AA user who provided this: http://www.herbs64.p...m/files/mgd.bin

Forgive my ignorance as I have not been following this game. Is this ROM link the latest release? Will there be or was there a cartridge release? It appears AtariAge already did a label contest some years ago...

#409 FujiSkunk OFFLINE  

FujiSkunk

Quadrunner

• 7,635 posts
  • Behold the Fuji!

Posted Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:59 PM

My understanding is...

That is the latest ROM.  The developer mentioned dealing with health issues and went incommunicado soon after.  Albert and others have tried to get in touch since then, but so far no luck.

#410 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 3,937 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:12 PM

You can't say Mangoooooooo enough if you've heard it playing this game!

Mangooooooooo

Edit - I forgot that I'd already Mangooooooooo'd this thread on the previous page.

#411 sramirez2008 OFFLINE  

sramirez2008

River Patroller

• 3,009 posts
  • Stella Foreva

Posted Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:00 PM

While the humor is great, it's the nuances and inflections in the voice that really shine.  Most games do not control the AtariVox as exquisitely as Man Goes Down.  There's even a "May the fruit be with you" line, complete with perfectly-replicated R2D2 beeps.

..Al

Nice! I too, remember this game from last years Houston Area Arcade Expo.  Can't wait to play it again.

#412 lucifershalo OFFLINE  

lucifershalo

River Patroller

• 3,094 posts

Posted Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:14 AM

..Al

Too bad, it is not for sale, Al

#413 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Cyborg Bounty Hunter

• 18,497 posts
  • Alita Jean

Posted Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:06 AM

Too bad, it is not for sale, Al

Albert, you need to fix this ASAP.

#414 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 24,101 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:48 PM

Al can't sell without having the rights. 

If you want this on cart, you have to get in contact with the one who owns the rights.

#415 Nathan Strum OFFLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 8,486 posts
  • Enjoying a sandwich

Posted Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:46 PM

Believe me - Al would love to be able to sell Man Goes Down. But he's not going to sell Alex's game without his permission. Even though the label contest was completed (and the manual itself is about 3/4 done), the game was never finished. It's up to the creator of a game to determine if or when it's ready to go.

#416 RevEng OFFLINE  

RevEng

Bit Player

• 5,250 posts

Posted Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:16 PM

Albert, you need to fix this ASAP.

There's nothing more Al can do, ASAP or otherwise. He's tried to reach out to Alex in several ways, including snail mail.

Alex has been in contact with others and updated his website, so he's around to some degree. He just doesn't seem to want to talk about his 2600 homebrew anymore, or talk about why he doesn't want to talk about it. It's his prerogative, however unfortunate.

#417 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Cyborg Bounty Hunter

• 18,497 posts
  • Alita Jean

Posted Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:31 AM

Well there's always Harmony cart... :P

#418 Dionoid OFFLINE  

Dionoid

Chopper Commander

• 169 posts

Posted Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:24 AM

This is a cool game, even though it's unfinished.

Reminds me of Fall Down for the 2600.

#419 SS OFFLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• 6,328 posts

Posted Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:43 AM

"Man Goes Down" has long been one of my favorite homebrews. Looking back through the thread, I see that my first post about it was from 2004. It's too bad that Alex never authorized a final cart release because it certainly feels like a finished product and quite deserving of wider attention.

#420 MissCommand OFFLINE  

MissCommand

Star Raider

• 83 posts

Posted Sat Dec 8, 2018 11:14 AM

I too was wondering what the latest binary available on this was? The latest I have found does not have the great background music, the save iniitials, or the AtariVox sounds. Of course, the later might be an issue with having the AtariVox+ and not the original.

#421 Arenafoot OFFLINE  

Arenafoot

Stargunner

• 1,390 posts
  • videogamestores.net

Posted Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:22 PM

I too was wondering what the latest binary available on this was? The latest I have found does not have the great background music, the save iniitials, or the AtariVox sounds. Of course, the later might be an issue with having the AtariVox+ and not the original.

Try this download: http://www.herbs64.p...m/files/mgd.bin

#422 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Epic Godlike Canadian

• 11,330 posts

Posted Sat Dec 8, 2018 5:07 PM

It's a great game. I don't know what happened to the author but I don't think he's in contact with anyone here. I believe there were attempts to contact him with no luck. I could be thinking of someone else though, I'm not sure. It's a shame that another homebrew author couldn't pick up the mantle and continue the work on the game although I guess you'd need the source code or else you're just starting from scratch.

#423 MissCommand OFFLINE  

MissCommand

Star Raider

• 83 posts

Posted Sun Dec 9, 2018 12:07 AM

Thanks! What great additions from the original game and the voice snippets are fantastic and that opening music is kicking... and no problems with AtariVox+ going all screwy on me either!

Am I supposed to do something when I get all the down arrows prizes?

#424 MissCommand OFFLINE  

MissCommand

Star Raider

• 83 posts

Posted Sun Dec 9, 2018 12:08 AM

It's a great game. I don't know what happened to the author but I don't think he's in contact with anyone here. I believe there were attempts to contact him with no luck. I could be thinking of someone else though, I'm not sure. It's a shame that another homebrew author couldn't pick up the mantle and continue the work on the game although I guess you'd need the source code or else you're just starting from scratch.

The game does seem complete codewise.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users