IGNORED

Not sure what all of this stuff is please help.

muell67

What you have is a Atari 800 system. A 8-bit Computer from the late 70s. It does NOT play Atari 2600 games, it plays Atari 800 games. Newer models after the 800 were the 1200XL, 600/800XL, 65XE and 130XE (128k). All were compatible with the Atari 800.

Ill give you $40 for it - double your money in 1 day :D

As others have said this is not compatible with the 2600 but the games are much better on the ATari 800 computer series (IMHO).

If you are serious about wanting to get this started Im sure a few folks ehre could help you out.

To do something simple you could hook the Atari 800 up to your TV (like you do with a 2600) and put the Missile Command or Asteroids cartidge in the Atari 800 and turn it on. You can play your cart games pretty easily.

The cartridge slot on the Atari 800 is above the keyboard under a cover. Press the 'button' above the keyboard which opens the cartidge cover. Your carts should say 'Left Cartridge' and put them in the left slot. Close the cover and turn on and ENJOY!

So I can hook it up to the tv, thats good news. It came with a old apple monitor I thought I had to use that. Also I dont think the pics realy show them but It came with some games that were on cassette tape is that all of the game or is there another part? Does it actually play off of the tape?

The 1010 program recorder loads programs off cassette tape. You'll need a thick SIO cable to hook it to the computer.

The 1050 disk drive loads programs off 5-1/4" floppy disks. You'll need to track down a Dos disk in order to save your own programs...preferably something that works with most existing stuff...like Dos 2.5. If it came with Dos 3, nail that disk to the front of the house to ward off evil spirits...about the only thing that it's good for. The disk drive will require a thick SIO cable to hook it to the computer.

You can hook up the Apple monitor to the computer by using a 5-pin DIN cable (like the one that Sega Genesis uses)...or to a regular TV by hooking the computer's hardwired cord to a television's RF input (but you'll get better reception with the 5-pin cable...running it to the television's A/V inputs instead).

The Programmer package is the documentation describing the instructions and commands used with the included Atari Basic cartridge. The original version (black label) of the Basic cartridge has a nasty bug that can lock up the computer when you edit lines...track down a version "C" Basic (silver/white label) instead if you intend to write your own Basic programs.

The numerical keypad is handy if you are entering lots of numbers and are speedy with a professional keypad...but not much useful beyond that. It should have it's own driver that will need to be loaded in order to use it as well.

The computer, the disk drive, and the recorder will all need their own power adapter. I believe that all 3 of them are interchangable (they are for sure regarding the computer and disk drive...dunno for sure about the 1010 since I have a 410).

Hooking it all up...

Connect the computer to the television...or the monitor if you can get a DIN cable. Plug a power adapter to the POWER input port on it's right side. Set the disk drive near it, and run an SIO cable from the right side of the computer to the back side of the 1050 disk drive. The drive has 2 ports to connect the cable...it doesn't matter which one you plug the cord into. Plug another power adapter into the POWER port on the back of the drive. Set the 1010 program recorder near the disk drive, and connect an SIO cable between them (that's why the disk drive has 2 ports...so you can loop multiple components together). Plug all 3 power adapters into a power strip or outlets, and it's ready to go.

If you are using cartridge games, just plug the cartridge in and close the lid...you don't need to turn on the other components. Usually. Some cartridge games include the ability to save to cassette or disk drive...but you'll have to read the instructions for the game to verify which ones allow that. Just skip it for now.

If you are using commercial games on cassette tape, you'll usually need to remove any cartridge (including Basic...if specified)...and hold down the START key as you turn on the power switch on the computer. You'll hear a beep. Insert the cassette tape into the 1010 recorder, rewind it if you need to, and press PLAY on the recorder. Then hit the RETURN key on the computer. The tape program will begin loading...so grab a newspaper or something to read ;) You'll hear a series of tones from the television's speaker as it loads (which can get annoying...considering how long tape programs take to load). When finished, the game should appear on the screen.

If you are using commercial games on disk, you'll usually need to remove any cartridge (including Basic)...turn on the disk drive, insert the disk label side up with the oval area facing away from you (so it goes into the slot first), flip the lever downward to lock the disk in place, then turn on the computer. The disk program will begin loading, and you'll hear several beeps or clicks from the television's speaker. The game will appear on the screen (much quicker than a tape game would).

BTW I notice what looks like a box for the 810 disk drive and a 1030 modem as well. The 810 disk drive operates pretty much the same as the 1050, but will only be able to read and write "single density" disks (i.e. floppy disks that have roughly half the capacity of the 1050-produced disks). For commercial games, this is usually moot (since most games were saved in single-density format)...so either drive will do. Copying programs or entire disks is really speedy with a 2-drive setup...but is not generally needed if you just want to play games...they will work fine regardless of which drive is used. Read the supplied documentation on how to set up a 2-drive system if you want to be able to copy disks.

With today's internet, the modem is really not needed at all...sell it off or keep it as a piece of archealogical history. If you are an Uber-geek, you can aquire additional components that will allow the Atari800 computer to access modern http addresses and web pages :) But the speed and quality would be below what you are reading.

I didn't see a printer, but it looks like a box of printer paper is in that jumble. Was one included?

no I didnt get a printer, the box of printer paper is full of games and atari manuals. I noticed this thing comes with alot of manuals and wiring diagrams, did these come with it when it was new or did they have to be purchased seperatley. I wich I could get some of these for new electronic devices.

Your call. But nope, none of those technical manuals and programs (besides The Programmer package, depending on when that 800 was originally bought) came with the computer. Virtually everything was sold seperate back in the day. And some things are rarer/more sought after than others.

What I did in my first apartment when I didn't have much space was I put my entire setup all wired up on a cheap television rollaway stand...that could easily be shoved into a closet when not in use :) By putting the disk drives and power adapters on the lower racks, I even had enough space on the opposite corner to put a C64 system.

Wow I don't see a find like that at all anymore. If my wife brought that home I would have given her the royal treatment. Even if I don't collect atari computer stuff I would be like. Yes sir I do now. Geez. what a hall. I remeber stuff like that back in the 80's when people was getting ride of it. wow.

later,

ussexplorer