IGNORED

High Score Club Week 15: Tunnel Runner

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss Tunnel Runner, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

Don't stop now! The Maze Zots are after you! Your only hope of escaping is to find the key for the escape door. Get ready for an endless search for freedom, because this week's game is Tunnel Runner!

Game Information
Game Tunnel Runner
Left Difficulty N/A
Right Difficulty N/A
Game Mode Game 2: Random Mazes
Chosen By Kurushimi

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Sunday, July 18th at midnight (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

In case you don't have this game, you can find a copy of the ROM at AtariAge's Profile Page for this game. You can also find such things as a typed copy of the manual, reviews, screenshots, and other information there.

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a reply saying so, and I'll add you to the list!

Next week's game will be chosen by liquid_sky! Please send me a Private Message letting me know which game (and difficulty settings) you've chosen as soon as possible liquid_sky!

High Scores Other Info
High Score Club:

• [*]silverfuji.gif92,228 (ToddRogers)
[+10]
[*]bronzefuji.gif72,332 (Robert M) [+8]
[*]38,168 (Jeffy Arensmeyer) [+7]
[*]29,651 (Kurushimi) [+6]
[*]21,594 (Malc74) [+5]
[*]19,276 (khryssun) [+4]
[*]14,555 (Ze_ro) [+3]
[*]13,200 (jedijeff) [+2]
[*]12,826 (keilbaca) [+1]
[*]12,817 (Shannon)
[*]10,971 (gospeedde)
[*]5568 (Saldo)
[*]3524 (bjk7382)
[*]3211 (Goochman)
[*]3191 (Chris++)
[*]3157 (Tsukasa)
[*]2945 (Dan Iacovelli)
[*]983 (Gamemaster_ca_2003)
  • :
    • 11,519 (Tim Balderramos)
      [*]3,761 (Greg Troutman)
      [*]3,593 (Mike Nail)

Best Tips:

Score Statistics
  • Average Score: 24,320
    [*]Std. Deviation: 7045
    [*]Total Score: 462,075

Current Standings

Member List
liquid_sky, intvgene, ScottHuggins, InanimateCarbonRod, pmpddytim, Xot, Scooterb23, Dan Iacovelli, LarcenTyler, sku_u, Luigi301, Max-T, adams_ale, gamerz, Christophero Sly, Trooper, Nateo, homerwannabee, lost child, Happy_Dude, video game addict, Spirantho, bobafett07728, mikefrevino, Paul Slocum, fsuinnc, Gamemaster_ca_2003, Robert M, DeV0, Gateway, Mendon, Fretwobbler, PaulEMoz, killersquirel, shining slade, chadtower, gospeedde, stayrunner, Big Player, Swingtown, Chris++, hotpants, hobbles, taxman, Ze_ro, maibock, moycon, somePUNK, Saldo, Stingray, Kepone, xmetalhedx, chrisbid, Kialan, Jeffy Arensmeyer, Keir, ToddRogers, Numan, iguana, LU8, jeepnut24, Albert, Tsukasa, Adrian M, dykesr, EricDeLee, Thomas Jentzsch, The 8th Passenger, the 5th ghost, Bunsen, atari_wizard, jedijeff, davepesc, maximebeauvais, buzzguy, bjk7382, khryssun, HermChase, wiz21mx, karnov, Goochman, NE146, Sora, Malc74, sabeen557, 128bytes, Kurushimi

Scoring Points in Tunnel Runner
Action Point Value
Entering a room for the first time 1 pts x Run Number
Successfully escaping a run Bonus based on remaining time line x Next Run Number
An extra life is awarded at 5,000 points, and every 10,000 ports thereafter. You can have a maximum of 4 lives at any one time.
Score Rolls? - Yes, after 99,999
The game apparently has a nasty glitch in it that occurs after you finish 127 runs. This will likely render the game unplayable, so you might want to keep track of your score if you get this far, since you might not get another chance to see it.

Hints and Tips
As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well no problem, because AtariAge has a typed copy of the manual available online right over here.

What's that? You're too damn lazy to click that link? Well, here's what it has to say:
  • Keep your ears open! The more familiar you become with each Maze Zot's characteristic sound, the better you'll be at making quick decisions to run or wait without having to check the Map.
    [*]Learn to run and turn without stopping. Turn into a corner in advance of actually coming to the intersection and push up on the Joystick immediately after making the turn. You'll be able to keep up your momentum.
    [*]Don't spend too much time staring at the Map. Remember that the maze Zots are constantly in motion and you're prevented from moving as long as the Map is on the screen.
    (the manual)
Hold Fire and rotate the Joystick in the Full-Circle in either direction during a run. Note: This may only be done once per run. (AtariAge)
TIPS
Simplest tip to help your score is to use the map. Pressing fire brings it up and shows your position (the arrow), the key (the triangle) and the maze Zots (the circles). So far I've found that the exit is always on the right hand side and is clearly visible on the map (but not marked as an exit).

Bear in mind that while you're looking at the map the maze Zots are still wandering back and forward - listen for the sound as they approach you.

The maps change on later levels - some don't show the Zots, some don't show the tunnels until you pass through them.

Also, remember that the flashing floor indicates one of the various kinds of exit door - that's why you automatically stop in the middle of them. Just turn around to find the door.

Try not to rush around like crazy, as you may find yourself crashing headlong into a maze Zot.

Familiarise yourself with the different types of door and what they do (read the manual) - remember if you enter the wrong door (one with a down arrow) you'll go back to the previous map and won't get any points for completing the level. (Malc74)
Every two runs, the zots become visible/invisible on your map depending on what they were before. Every four runs, the maze toggles between visible from the start and invisible until you run through it. Every eight runs, the player's visibility on the map is toggled. Every sixteen runs, the key's visibility toggles. Not sure what happens after run 32. Maybe ToddRogers or 5th ghost can figure that out. =P (Kurushimi)
A list of each zot, starting from the one with the highest pitch of sound:
  • . Intelligent, and faster than white. Starts appearing on the second run.
    [*]
Gray. Neither bright nor fast. Easy to avoid on its own.
[*]White. Intelligent, but slower than red.
[*]Blue. Very fast, but not too smart. Starts appearing on the third run.

Good luck everyone!

--Zero

(Kurushimi)
On runs where the map reveals as you traverse though the rooms, you can run through the doors that teleport you (with arrows pointing left and right) to reveal random areas of the map, which can prove useful. (Kurushimi)
Once you're in the Runs numbered in the 40s, you get these mazes where it's so dark you can't tell if you're facing a single, double-up, or level down door, so you're screwed as far as a random game goes, you'll just be trapped in there until you lose your last life before you see mazes where you can tell what the doors are again. (Fellow Atari Man)
Some tips:

invisible location mazes--in the mazes where you're not shown on the map, and your path doesn't appear as you move, just look for an edge...i. e., if you're at the top, and no more corridors appear that will go any higher, then you're at the very top; if you're at the bottom, and no more corridors lead down, then you're at the bottom, etc., so cross-reference that with the map, and it won't be hard to figure out from there...with the exception on being at the far right side of the maze, and you see single and double-up doors, then that means you're on the right, since the up doors are ALWAYS at the very right side of the maze.

invisible keys--when you get to the mazes where the key isn't shown on the map, the grey Zot Monster is ALWAYS programmed to appear where the key is...just keep your eye on him because once your point/time bar (or whatever it's called) starts charging, his location in the maze will get switched once right before you enter the maze.

breathing time--if, at some point in the game, the maze Zots are shown on the map, and they're on the other side of the maze from you, whenever you get to a flashing (door) section of the maze, the timer will freeze, so use that to your advantage to catch your breath for a few seconds (especially if you're at a db/cb door, then go for the bonus!).
(Fellow Atari Man)
At some points during the game I see these doors with weird symbols around them. The one on the left resembles "db" and the one on the right resembles "cb". The door apparently gives you bonus points as long as you look at it (If you look away, the points will stop, even if you look at it again). You'll get about 1000 points if you get to the door and don't turn away. Most of the time you should just grab a couple of points and move on though. (Kurushimi, Fellow Atari Man)
To get the key easily (very useful on maps where your location isn't displayed e.g run 9), walk around in the maze to search teleportation doors (there are a lot and they are easy to find)... you get a lot of chances to get the key during the teleportation period. If it don't work the first time, repeat the operation again.
Usually I get the key using this tip with less than 3 teleportations. (khryssun)
Tips:
(Jeffy Arensmeyer)
First off, I was mistaken in thinking that, when you run out of time and have to redo one of the dark Runs, you're given a different maze. That isn't true. If you accidentally hit a down door and have to go through the previous maze again, you'll get the same maze again. So remember how you got out of there, plus the next one, so you won't end up going through the same ones five times each (if your lives last that long). (Fellow Atari Man)
TIPS:

1. If you are having trouble finding the key, use the teleport doors. When you teleport, you visit many intersections on the map. If one of them has the key, you will pick it up.

2. The zots tend to start by the key. If the key is on the left side of the maze, then go to the right side and find the exit.

3. If you get to the pitch black levels 40 - 49 or so, then when you try an exit if it doesn't work you know for sure that it is the double up door. Find another exit, then go back to the double up door. If it works, then you are up 2 levels in the darkness. If it doesn't work, then you know that the other exit you found is the double down door. So you need to find a 3rd exit which you can be sure is the single up exit.

(Robert M)

[*]the 5th ghost [125]
[*]Jeffy Arensmeyer [104]
[*]sku_u [85]
[*]jedijeff [61]
[*]Stingray [48]
[*]Ze_ro [40]
[*]Chris++ [39]
[*]Saldo [28]
[*]bobafett07728 [27]
[*]stayrunner [24]
[*]bjk7382 [24]
[*]taxman [23]
[*]Shannon [21]
[*]NintendoDieScreaming [21]
[*]crsdawg [20]
[*]homerwannabee [17]
[*]The 8th Passenger [17]
[*]Numan [16]
[*]Tsukasa [15]
[*]HermChase [13]
[*]NovaXpress [12]
[*]Christophero Sly [12]
[*]Malc74 [10]
[*]Robert M [9]
[*]Thomas Jentzsch [9]
[*]keilbaca [8]
[*]Goochman [7]
[*]Keir [7]
[*]dykesr [7]
[*]mikeftrevino [7]
[*]NE146 [7]
[*]Kurushimi [6]
[*]EricDeLee [6]
[*]Paul Slocum [6]
[*]StanJr [5]
[*]DeV0 [4]
[*]gospeedde [3]
[*]khryssun [3]
[*]tin [3]
[*]maibock [2]
[*]Nateo [2]
[*]Sora [2]
[*]chrisbid [1]
[*]InanimateCarbonRod [0]
[*]shining slade [0]
[*]Kepone [0]
[*]Saikyo [0]
[*]Scooterb23 [0]
[*]moycon [0]
[*]gamerz [0]
[*]128bytes [0]
[*]Dan Iacovelli [0]
[*]video game addict [0]
[*]LU8 [0]
[*]fsuinnc [0]
[*]Gamemaster_ca_2003 [0]
[*]iguana [0]
[*]davepesc [0]
[*]Albert [0]
[*]pmpddytim [0]
[*]karnov [0]
[*]pitfallaimee [0]
[*]Happy_Dude [0]
[*]Kialan [0]
[*]xmetalhedx [0]
[*]Adrian M [0]
[*]intvgene [0]
[*]ScottHuggins [0]
[*]jeepnut24 [0]
[*]figgler [0]
[*]Old_Atarian [0]
[*]hobbles [0]
[*]Spirantho [0]
[*]johnnywc [0]
[*]PaulEMoz [0]
[*]FireTiger [0]
[*]BigFairy321 [0]
[*]vb_master [0]
[*]atari_wizard [0]
[*]sabeen557 [0]
[*]lost child [0]
[*]AcidTone [0]
[*]Bunsen [0]
[*]chadtower [0]
[*]Big Player [0]

Standings are current as of the beginning of this week,
and do NOT include points from this week's game. If
you think there has been a mistake in any of the
scoring, please contact me.

Folks,

I’ve got some good news and some bad news.

First the bad news:

My wife’s surgery recovery is going much slower than anticipated. She feels that she has soo much to catch up on, the most important of which is work, that she cannot make anymore patches for awhile.

I also told you about my computer crashing. As a result, I don’t have any of the hi-score names and addresses. Please re-submit that information to me via my email (resqsoft@earthlink.net). All Hi-Score qualifying folks up to the Reactor contest will get patches.

Now the good news:

I will still be making patch designs in hopes that someday, that they’ll get made. So please continue to submit to me your names and scores for the appropriate contest. I'll continue to post these on my webpage. I am running a bit behind because of my very busy summer schedule, but I hope to be caught up soon.

As always, the patches can be seen on my webpage:

http://home.earthlink.net/~resqsoft/

Regards,

-Lee

Gave this game a quick "run" (Har har, I'm soo funnay!) this morning, ending with a score of 4764.

By the way, I'm aware that there's a pretty nasty glitch that supposedly occurs after you beat 127 levels. Anyone know what effects this glitch has? Does it mess with the score, or make the game unplayable or what?

--Zero

First try (well actually the first try after I could be bothered to read the manual) 3257.

TIPS

Simplest tip to help your score is to use the map. Pressing fire brings it up and shows your position (the arrow), the key (the triangle) and the maze Zots (the circles). So far I've found that the exit is always on the right hand side and is clearly visible on the map (but not marked as an exit).

Bear in mind that while you're looking at the map the maze Zots are still wandering back and forward - listen for the sound as they approach you.

The maps change on later levels - some don't show the Zots, some don't show the tunnels until you pass through them.

Also, remember that the flashing floor indicates one of the various kinds of exit door - that's why you automatically stop in the middle of them. Just turn around to find the door.

Try not to rush around like crazy, as you may find yourself crashing headlong into a maze Zot.

Familiarise yourself with the different types of door and what they do (read the manual) - remember if you enter the wrong door (one with a down arrow) you'll go back to the previous map and won't get any points for completing the level.

post-4591-1089662129_thumb.jpg

Grrr.... yep they like to camp... Oh look here's the key! Oh LOOK! You're surrounded by 3 zot's! OK so you hold fire and teleport... guess where you go... in front of 2 zots! Hey look, there is the exit. Oh look! At least one Zot! Watch it guys, they love to camp.

This game became a favorite of mine when I first found the Atari emulation scene in 1998. Besides some of my old favorites that I hadn't played since 1990, this got a lot of playtime from my emulator. It remained burned into my memory, and popped up when thoughts of Atari 2600 crossed my mind after I stopped playing Atari on a regular basis. Eventually, I did a search for it on Google in September 2003. That's how I found AtariAge, and how I got into Atari collecting in the first place.

I can't play it right now since I'm at school, but I can drop some tips off real quick.

Every two runs, the zots become visible/invisible on your map depending on what they were before. Every four runs, the maze toggles between visible from the start and invisible until you run through it. Every eight runs, the player's visibility on the map is toggled. Every sixteen runs, the key's visibility toggles. Not sure what happens after run 32. Maybe ToddRogers or 5th ghost can figure that out. =P

A list of each zot, starting from the one with the highest pitch of sound:

• Intelligent, and faster than white. Starts appearing on the second run.

Gray. Neither bright nor fast. Easy to avoid on its own.

White. Intelligent, but slower than red.

Blue. Very fast, but not too smart. Starts appearing on the third run.

On runs where the map reveals as you traverse though the rooms, you can run through the doors that teleport you (with arrows pointing left and right) to reveal random areas of the map, which can prove useful.

Also, a question. At some points during the game I see these doors with weird symbols around them. The one on the left resembles "db" and the one on the right resembles "cb". Does anyone know what these do?

I'll start playing this like a madman when I get home.

Off to a decent start... 18712.

I found one of those weird doors before I died, and noticed that my score was going up while I was looking at it, but when I looked away, then looked back, nothing happened. So the door apparently gives you bonus points as long as you look at it, or something. I'd guess there's a limit to how many points it can give, but I gotta play more to find out.

post-4124-1089682323_thumb.jpg

I just started playing it again, i seen one of those doors... you look at it and it gives you bonus points, then it kinda comes down how much balls you got. if you look at the map or turn away, the bonus stops. another words, stay there until you get scared to run away, or if you hear a zot.