IGNORED

High Score Club Week 15: Tunnel Runner

Ze_ro

Had a decent run and racked up a score of 12012. Forgot to look for those bonus doors, but I'll try to keep an eye out next time.

Don't know what anyone else thinks but there seems to be a lot of luck in this - it's very disconcerting when you disappear from the map and I got that score by just stumbling from key to exit on a couple of the higher levels. Still, I'm enjoying this game - not one I'd heard of before today.

Keilbaca - I've noticed the door guarding thing too. The Zots seem to guard the key as well - I actually got stuck for ages on level 1 in one of my games because the key was at the end of a dead-end corridor, guarded by a Zot who wouldn't move out of the dead-end.

post-4591-1089692737_thumb.jpg

Yea, they seem to guard the door and the key, only to be around those areas when you find them. This game does seem to have a bit more on the luck side. but yea, i might go at it one more time, but i doubt it. Kurushimi, you're awesome... lol.

Not part of the high score club but want to join soon.

Just wanted to wish everyone good luck as this is my favorite

Atari 2600 game ever.

Also, probably one of the first 'First Person' views in a video game that I can think of.

Atari 2600 game ever.

Also, probably one of the first 'First Person' views in a video game that I can think of.

Just post a score and you're in!

A few things about the game:

By the way, I'm aware that there's a pretty nasty glitch that supposedly occurs after you beat 127 levels. Anyone know what effects this glitch has? Does it mess with the score, or make the game unplayable or what?

It makes it unplayable: it crashes, showing a plathora of things, as the maze flashes, walls appear and disappear, and you see a Zot appear here and there; pretty fried.

In regards to the db cb door:

You'll get about 1000 points if you get to the door and don't turn away. Most of the time you should just grab a couple of points and move on though.

In regards to what happens after 30-something mazes:

Once you're in the Runs numbered in the 40s, you get these mazes where it's so dark you can't tell if you're facing a single, double-up, or level down door, so you're screwed as far as a random game goes, you'll just be trapped in there until you lose your last life before you see mazes where you can tell what the doors are again. Occasionally I'll dust off this game on the random mazes, but then quit once I hit the Darkness levels.

Interesting. I'd hop in this club for my high score on this, but don't want to bother suggesting a game later. Good luck everyone!

Atari 2600 game ever.

Just post a score and you're in!

Yep, why not! I've been having a blast since I joined!

Interesting.  I'd hop in this club for my high score on this, but don't want to bother suggesting a game later.  Good luck everyone!

Just play whenever you see a game you like! When your turn comes to pick a game (which will be ages anyway, just look a the length of the members list!) just tell Ze_ro to pass to the next person.

I know this is a bit off topic but I've decided to play and post my score, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to post a photo.

Do I have to post my photo somewhere first?

If someone can PM me instructions, I would be eternally grateful.

:roll: I'm such a newbie

Interesting.  I'd hop in this club for my high score on this, but don't want to bother suggesting a game later.  Good luck everyone!

Just play whenever you see a game you like! When your turn comes to pick a game (which will be ages anyway, just look a the length of the members list!) just tell Ze_ro to pass to the next person.

Oh ok, thanks for the tip, I'm in then! :) I can just pass to ze_ro then, or maybe come up with something sadistically tough, just to see "high" scores of 127 or something for a game :D

Unfortunately I opened my big mouth too soon: I hadn't played in a while (forgot how fun, yet how challenging it can be!), so I didn't get to those "dark" levels like I said, but I got to the Runs in the early 30s, I think it was...oh well, 32,147 here, I can probably get higher as well.

Anyway, some tips:

invisible location mazes--in the mazes where you're not shown on the map, and your path doesn't appear as you move, just look for an edge...i. e., if you're at the top, and no more corridors appear that will go any higher, then you're at the very top; if you're at the bottom, and no more corridors lead down, then you're at the bottom, etc., so cross-reference that with the map, and it won't be hard to figure out from there...with the exception on being at the far right side of the maze, and you see single and double-up doors, then that means you're on the right, since the up doors are ALWAYS at the very right side of the maze.

invisible keys--when you get to the mazes where the key isn't shown on the map, the grey Zot Monster is ALWAYS programmed to appear where the key is...just keep your eye on him because once your point/time bar (or whatever it's called) starts charging, his location in the maze will get switched once right before you enter the maze.

breathing time--if, at some point in the game, the maze Zots are shown on the map, and they're on the other side of the maze from you, whenever you get to a flashing (door) section of the maze, the timer will freeze, so use that to your advantage to catch your breath for a few seconds (especially if you're at a db/cb door, then go for the bonus!).

post-3650-1089749525_thumb.jpg

Well, I don't think I'll ever get to Kurushimi or Fellow Atari Man's scores but I did make a minor improvement to 14036. Found a couple of those bonus doors but there's always been a Zot or two nearby so I haven't scored too many points from them.

post-4591-1089752927_thumb.jpg

Generally, what I've been doing is that anyone who posts a score gets into the rankings, whether they're in the club or not, and they stay in the rankings even after they quit. However, I don't always add people to the picking order unless they actually mention something about it... so if any of you just posted a score and never mentioned picking a game, you might not be in the list (Otherwise, I'd have to look through the list every time someone posts just to check if I'd added them before or not... pain in the butt). If you're not in there and you want to be, let me know! If you prefer to just play along and kick ass at a game now and then without worrying about other stuff, then that's no problem at all.

--Zero

Interesting game...never played this one before. Got 3,014 without knowing what the hell I'm doing. Better read up on this one!

- Sal

Sorry, no pic on this one I'm playing on Cyberstella and I didn't see an option for a screen shot. Will switch to another EMU later.

Just an observation.  But everytime a game ends for some reason tunnel runner resets to game 1.  (at least on my copy)

So alot of people may have ended up playing game 1 by accident.   :sad:

Whoops, you're right! It does that on Z26 as well.

Ze_ro - remove my scores as I was unaware of this and I can't be sure that those scores occurred on Game 2. I'll try again later (making absolutely sure I'm on Game 2 this time).

:sad:

Yea, my score is on game 2, i just played another game and i got really close to my high score. I think i'm done with it though, its making me really mad, like when you have 2 zots coming towards you, and it doesn't let you go to the map screen to do the teleport. gah, i just hope my score lasts.