IGNORED

Auction Advice

ratfink

I'm getting ready to sell off my entire collection of vintage video games and I'm just wondering about how to go about doing it. I've never sold anything on ebay before.

It would be convenient to just sell them in large lots but I'm wondering if you guys find that annoying. I mean, would I be better off selling at least the rarest stuff as individual carts? Are you guys annoyed when you see a large group of carts for sale and you only want/need one of them? Do you bid anyway?

I'm amazed at that recent auction of 250+ boxed games that went for $2600. I don't have quite that nice of a collection but it is intriguing.

Oh, I've got an NTSC TV Boy I'll be auctioning too. Any interest in this? No past auctions on eBay so I've no idea what it'd be worth.

As to the selling it in lots:

Yes and no. Sometimes its really cool to pick up a large bounty full of different games and stuff, especially for those starting a collection. But on the other hand, I'd rather buy individual carts, or better yet select a package of carts from a list and buy them out right. If I have Combat, I do not want to get dozens more by purchasing mass quantities. It will pretty much be a deal breaker. Problem is, that may leave you with a pile of unwanted carts at the end of the day. If these are commons, best to set them free at a Thrift or such.

In the end, I suppose it comes down to whatever you want to do. There are people who will jump at the whole collection, and there are those who won't. I say go with whatever you feel the most comfortable doing.

But I reiterate atari70's: "What you got?"

Personally, I prefer when people sell large amounts of stuff seperately... this way I can buy individual cartridges I need without worrying about someone outbidding me because of a rare cartridge that I didn't expect to get anyways... then I also save on shipping when I buy it all from one person

--Zero

im in the same dilemma, but not quite, i have nine spare carts that I want to dispose of! well, all carts are with boxes, and with instructions, but some of the games are real lame: pacman - combat - space invaders - asteroids.

but then the others a little more interesting (well not rare, but just more interesting ghostbusters, mario bros, q*bert, double dunk, yars revenge.

now, what i was thinking was on Ebay, putting the first four (pacman - combat - SI - asteorids) in one auction, and label it as STARTER PACK

and then another auction, highlighting the next lot as INTERMEDIATE PACK.

what do you think?

quote:

Originally posted by Saqqqq:

now, what i was thinking was on Ebay, putting the first four (pacman - combat - SI - asteorids) in one auction, and label it as STARTER PACK

I had been trying to find Contra for the NES for a while now, and I finally found it at a thrift store a few days ago... unfortunately, it was bagged together with Super Mario Bros., so I had to buy both simultaneously! I guess they have to figure out some way to get rid of all those damn SMB cartridges... they're starting to block up the sewers around here. Oh well... both cartridges together were $5, and the guy at the till screwed something up anyways (I bought that, plus a bag of INTV games that was priced at $6... somehow I only got charged just over $7. I didn't complain since I think $2 for the INTV games was a more fair price anyways). Of course, I'll never manage to get rid of that SMB cartridge...

(For anyone who doesn't collect NES stuff, the root of the joke is that SMB/Duck Hunt is about 5 times more common as Combat... and I'm not exaggerating)

--Zero

Zero - are you saying my Starter Pack is a bad idea? Basically, I have a PAL version of the folliwng 9 games, BOXED (7 with instructions, 2 without)

PacMan

Space Invaders

Asteroids

Combat (without instructions)

Ghostbusters (without instructions)

Mario Bros

Yars Revenge

Double dunk

Q*Bert.

All boxed though and theyre all spare, I dont want doubles hanging around in my collection! *Unsightly things!* Now I dont think this will excite any traders to want to trade with me, yet I can sell them on Ebay, but whats the best way? Bear in mind, I belive in the UK, the Atari scene is still pretty collectable, and even the real common ones still pick up a few £'s. Or I could jsut blow it in one sale, but I really hope to get if Im lucky, £30 for the nine. That woul dmake my day (approx - $45).

Any tips on how to do it?? But if anybody wants trade offers, let me know, but somehow I doubt it

Thanks!

I've got a HUGE collection and I'm not looking forward to writing it all down. It's been years since I was an active collector. I was active back in the early days of rec.games.video.classic but I've since gotten burned out on collecting, especially since it seems impossible to find anything at thrifts and fleas anymore. I guess I bought everything in town! And I suppose a big part of collecting for me was the thrill of the hunt. When I feel the urge to play a classic game I just fire up an emulator.

I'll probably sell the rarest stuff as individual carts and try to sell the more common stuff in big lots.

What about Sega Master System carts? And NES? Are these worth anything at all? I've got about half a dozen NES games which are all "classic" games, i.e. Super Pitfall, Q*bert, Elevator Action. Are these worth anything? Never followed NES values.