IGNORED

# of Colors Question

Goochman

Ok,

As we've been playing some old classics in the HSC club and others have been providing some breath taking pictures Ive wondered if some of the old classics could be better -

For example, Joust - I was very happy with this translation way back since most of the colors are there - However, with the amount of objects on the screen would it ahve been possible to seperate the bird color from the player? Also, how about adding the flying bird to the player egg vs the current design? Or are too many things moving at once to accomplish this?

Donkey Kong Fireball level - The fireballs could use another 'red'

Dig Dug - Dragons and Pookas missing a few elements - Actually the original release was ok but dirt slow!

Im sure theres other good examples out there!

re: joust

the eggs are antic e software sprites, the platforms etc as well, lavatroll is pm gfx so are the birds & pterry.

the sprites are nicely multiplexed as i mentioned this some time ago in the programming section i guess, as you can patch the game so you just see the missles (disable the players from the pm engine...)

the sprite collission is done via software between gfx & players, between player & birds via hardware... (as when the players are disabled you can see the "invisible" birds bump correctly against the platforms)

so... back to your question... i am sure that you can achieve the same speed + more colours in g2f mode and with software sprites... thou the multiplexer is done nicely... --> gameboy colour version... or atari ST version...