IGNORED

I paid wayyy too much!

Malathion5

Ok, confesion time here;

I almost paid too much for a complete Adventure on Ebay this evening and was releived to watch it 'sniped' out from under me.

This one has probably been already discussed at length on this board, but I'm fairly new here and would like to know that other people suffer that same affliction that I do. (My checkbook suffers more than I do sometimes)

So here it is:

What is the most you've paid for something? I'm talking Ebay, Goodwill, flea markets...what ever. I am looking for the embarassing/ flat out stupid purchases.

Here's my 'personal best': I paid $57.00 for a new Starpath Supercharger, the same kind you can get at O'Shea's or someplace like that for $25.00. I console myself by saying that the box is originally Arcadia with the Starpath sticker, but I really know better.

The way to avoid snipers on ebay is to simply choose what is the most that you are willing to spend on any one item and put that amount as the bid price. If someone tries to snipe at the last minute, they must be willing to exceed your maximum bid price.

As for paying too much for any one item, we have probably all been guilty of that. Sometimes we want an item so bad that we are willing to pay just about any price to obtain it.

For myself, I tend to try to see what the going price is for a certain item at other locations first and then use that to determine how much I am willing to pay for an item.

Also remember that if an item brings you joy and happiness into your life then it might have been very well worth it to obtain it.

gosh most i paid for one cart $90.00 for Shuttle Orbiter ( i paid 40.00 for the manual seperate i never got it and lost teh 40.00) . i paid 45 for the Smurf saves the day cart only ( useless people with out the casettes.) i got 2 GASHOGS for 55.00 and a Crazy CLimber no end label for.80 ( my lowest priced cart ever bought)

I'm generally not as hardcore into getting these rare games as the rest of you are I think... paying $50 for a 20 year old game is a little much for me to swallow (Though I'll probably change my tune when the only games I still need are games like Chase the Chuckwagon and Crazy Climber...) As it stands, the most expensive thing I've bought off eBay was probably my Lynx ($45 + $13 shipping from Australia to Canada... Pretty good in my opinion, also came with box, manual (If you can call it a manual), and a CIB Ninja Gaiden III). As for Atari stuff, I guess my $20 Supercharger was the most I've paid.

I've also been eyeing a complete (though non-boxed) Sega Master System that's sitting at the local thrift store with a $25 price tag. I know as soon as I buy it, I'll find the system itself for $5... but I have 7 games for the thing already

--Zero

Paid $80 plus shipping for Halloween with out the manual about 4 years ago. Wound up selling almost my whole collection of Atari on ebay. A 2600, a 7800 and 258 different games and about 25 more that were doubles...Think I got about $860 if anyone cares. and yes now I regret it... *sigh*

I spent $150.00 on a lot of 2 systems and like 25 games, because Crazy Climber was one of them.

I also gave 125.00 for a second Swordquest Waterworld which I in turn traded for nearly every Zellers cart. Back when I paid 125 Waterworld was actually worth around 200.00 now days it ain't worth over 100.00

Later,

Joel D. Park

20 bucks is the highest ive ever paid for a NES and under game

Systems are another story, paid $99 at toys r Us for the sega nomad and a month later saw it for 65 at mejiers

And $75 for a colecovision console 5 games and a atari adaptor from a flea market

Just to be mean...

I paid $6.00 for a supercharger, and all of the games, brand new in the box.. Only caveat, they were all taped together with shipping tape. I needed to use a razor-blade to cut them free but keep the tape on. I bought three bundles at a flea market where the guy had an entire table-top stacked with them.

Mike

I don't think I've ever paid that much for a game cart.... I used to by them when they were new for $30-$40. :-) But this subject brings up the debate I have going on in my head about my Lochjaw cart. I'm thinking of putting it up on ebay. But I'm 31 now. Married, kids... Will (lets just say) $150-$300 be worth it to let the cart go? Sure, I can get plenty of nice stuff with the money to add to my collection. I already have a ton of stuff though... I realize it may be better off with a dedicated "collector" than with me. I just like to play atari. Lochjaw is thrown in with the rest of my carts and gets no special attention. I am leaning towards just keeping it.

I learned from long ago with my Neo Geo system. If you sell a game today, you will kick yourself in the ass later. If I only kept all the NeoGeo games I've had, my collection would be worth a mint.

Charlie

quote:

Originally posted by khryssun:

Like scott, generally I'm cheap...

But, a month ago...

The most I paid was $60 for 21 boxed games (3/4 came with manual) and a lot were scarce : subterranea, space shuttle...

That's not bad, actually. It averages out to less than $3 per boxed cart. I'd pay that price without even thinking about it!

Paid $300 for a 5200 Bounty Bob a couple years ago. It was actually a normal price for the time, but after that they dropped for some reason. One went on Ebay boxed for under $200.

That was depressing, but having a complete 5200 collection is still fun

John

I'd kill for a 5200 BBSB, but I have my Atari 400/800 version. I'm getting down to the point where BBSB is one of the few games I need (and the rest are only mildly rare).

Strange that you should mention the price drop. A few years ago when I got my Atari 400/800 version it was one of the few that had surfaced that year, now I've seen at least 6 in the last 5 months. I'm starting to think someone found a stash or Bill Houge is flooding the market with back-inventory.

Now if only I could find a XE Crystal Castles UNDER $150 (what the heck was up with that auction anyway?)

Tempest

Tempest: I recently picked up a Shark Attack. It's much better to play than Lochjaw. There is no bug when you hit walls. And the "star fish (?)" comes after you a bit more. The shark doesn't get too fast as soon as it does in Lochjaw. Shark Attack is much more playable. :-) Lochjaw seems more "buggy" on the real console than in the emulator. wierd........

Charlie