IGNORED

How Much Would YOU Pay?

Tempest

How Much Would You Pay For a One-of-a-Kind Unreleased 2600 Prototype?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. How Much Would You Pay For a One-of-a-Kind Unreleased 2600 Prototype?

• $100
    • $300
    • $500
    • $700
    • $1000
    • $2000
    • $3000+
    • Nothing! You Prototype People Are Crazy!!!

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Depends on the game, but I have paid over $1,000 for unreleased prototypes in the past. It gets more interesting if it's a game you have not personally had the opportunity to inspect and you don't even know if the game works. But if there's a good chance it's a legitimate prototype, I think it's worth taking the risk to release the game to the community so everyone can enjoy it.

I can certainly understand that some people think paying that much for prototypes is insane. But we're in a unique position to make unreleased prototypess widely available so people can enjoy them, and we've done that many times in the past over the years. So far I haven't ended up with any dud protos. ;)

..Al

I voted for $700 but that is a certainly a maximum. There are only a few "unreleased" games I'd be willing to pay this much for.

I also wanted to add that once a game is released by either atariage or DP or whoever, it isn't worth much more than a couple (or few) hundred dollars in my eyes. So, I'm assuming when you ask this question you meant unreleased in the sense of either "lost" or "hoarded".

I really can't see anyone paying over $300 for a proto that has seen any type of "release" but I may be crazy.

I also wanted to add that once a game is released by either atariage or DP or whoever, it isn't worth much more than a couple (or few) hundred dollars in my eyes.  So, I'm assuming when you ask this question you meant unreleased in the sense of either "lost" or "hoarded".

I really can't see anyone paying over $300 for a proto that has seen any type of "release" but I may be crazy.

I think this comes down to individual collectors' tastes. For me personally, the rather unique nature of prototype hardware, *especially* games for which only a handful of prototypes exist (or just one!), makes them pretty valuable in my eyes. Even after a proto is dumped and copies are made and sold, that original hardware is still one-of-a-kind and quite valuable in the eyes of someone who enjoys collecting prototypes.

Granted, I know there are people who will pay less for a prototype once it has been dumped and released (such as yourself), but there are still plenty of individuals who'll sink large sums of money into getting those unique, *original* copies of the prototypes, and that competition will often cause the prices to skyrocket.

..Al

I can't believe so many people voted for $100 or less. It's an unreleased, one of a kind proto. I can't imagine anyone passing it up for a few hundred if they have even the slightest knowledge of prototypes. there's only ONE of these in the entire world and you wouldn't pay more than $100 for it (or not even $100 for some people)... oh well, I just can't understand it.

For me it would depend entirely on what the prototype was. Is it playable? Is it interesting? Is it from a mainstream company?

If it was something like the McDonald's prototype, I wouldn't waste any money on it. That's completely useless.

If it was a prototype for a completely unreleased game, and it was nearly complete and playable (ie. a real game vs. just a technology demo), then I'd probably be willing to shell out some money for it. But again, it would depend on who I was buying it from, where I was buying it, etc.

For example, if it was Pink Panther, Charlie Brown or Rocky & Bullwinkle, I'd clean out my bank account for it.

If it was for Data Age's unreleased "Craplock" prototype (the little-known third game in their "games that end with 'lock'" trilogy), I'd go as high as $50. Maybe $100.

I'm not one to part with money lightly.

I'm actually amazed at the two people who said $3000+. Assuming these people were serious, that's a heckuva lot of money! I can't see myself shelling out that kind of dough unless it was for one of those holy grail games like Cloak & Dagger or SQ: Airworld.

Tempest

• 3 weeks later...

It's all kind of dependent on what a collectors budget can afford, I know I'd really love a nice unreleased proto in my collection, if not only for Kudos - and let's be honest it's the main reason why people want them - but also for the thrill of having something that was never intended to be played by the masses.

If money was no object then $1,000 + easy, but as things stand; money for food for me is enough right now.

• 4 weeks later...