Photo

while we're on the subject of unreleased prototypes

12 replies to this topic

#1 SS OFFLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• 6,187 posts

Posted Wed Aug 4, 2004 10:52 PM

What can anyone tell me about 20th Century Fox's "Look Ahead"?

#2 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Commander

• 34,365 posts
  • I am the one who knocks!

Posted Wed Aug 4, 2004 10:54 PM

http://www.atariage....p=671262#671262

#3 SS OFFLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,187 posts

Posted Wed Aug 4, 2004 10:57 PM

http://www.atariage....p=671262#671262

Saw that. Weird that Matt should post it at just about the same time that I was asking the question.

What's the game like/about? Has anyone see it in action? There doesn't seem to be a listing on Atari Protos for it.

#4 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Fallen Moderator

• 27,124 posts

Posted Wed Aug 4, 2004 11:04 PM

From what I was told, Look Ahead was a puzzle game by Pick Up programmer Mark Klein. The only known prototype was given to John Hardie at CGE along with The Entity at CGE 2K2 (I know because I was there when it happened). All Mark told me was it was some kind of logic/puzzle game. I also seem to remember him saying it was based off some old concept (something famous I believe).

Tempest

#5 SS OFFLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,187 posts

Posted Wed Aug 4, 2004 11:09 PM

From what I was told, Look Ahead was a puzzle game by Pick Up programmer Mark Klein.  The only known prototype was given to John Hardie at CGE along with The Entity at CGE 2K2 (I know because I was there when it happened).  All Mark told me was it was some kind of logic/puzzle game.  I also seem to remember him saying it was based off some old concept (something famous I believe).

Hmmm ... interesting. I should get my ass over to Joe's house for another "New Jersey Classic" one of these months and ask John about it. I wasn't even aware that he was in possession of it.

#6 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Fallen Moderator

• 27,124 posts

Posted Wed Aug 4, 2004 11:19 PM

Hmmm ... interesting. I should get my ass over to Joe's house for another "New Jersey Classic" one of these months and ask John about it. I wasn't even aware that he was in possession of it.

He may not be anymore, this was 2 years ago. I assume he still has it (or one of the other CGE people). I did see it with my own two eyes though, so it does exist.

BTW where did you hear about it?

Tempest

#7 SS OFFLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,187 posts

Posted Wed Aug 4, 2004 11:22 PM

BTW where did you hear about it?

http://www.atariage....areLabelID=2390

The Entity was programmed by Mark Kline, who was responsible for two other unreleased Fox games, Pick Up and Look Ahead.

#8 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Fallen Moderator

• 27,124 posts

Posted Wed Aug 4, 2004 11:34 PM

Ok that makes sense since I helped write that. The reason I asked is that AFAIK no one else knew about it (well until now that is). IIRC we were the only people in the museum when the 'hand off' happened. I was curious if there had been some kind of official announcement about it that I missed.

Tempest

#9 www.atarimania.com OFFLINE  

www.atarimania.com

Stargunner

• 1,726 posts

Posted Thu Aug 5, 2004 12:53 PM

There's a game called Lookahead on the A8, maybe it's the same concept: http://www.atarimani...VERSION_ID=3035

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com

#10 Godzilla OFFLINE  

Godzilla

Quadrunner

• 6,794 posts

Posted Thu Aug 5, 2004 7:29 PM

though it looks nothing like the a8bit game in those pictures, based on the title and tempest's description, the game 'master mind' comes to mind....

#11 sku_u OFFLINE  

sku_u

Quadrunner

• 13,984 posts

Posted Thu Aug 5, 2004 7:31 PM

What's up with all these prototype threads in the 2600 forums lately? There's a prototype forum for these types of discussions. Sheesh... :roll: :P :D

#12 Godzilla OFFLINE  

Godzilla

Quadrunner

• 6,794 posts

Posted Thu Aug 5, 2004 7:32 PM

oh, and while we are on the subject of unreleased protos...

What is up with Treasure of Tarmin??? God I want to see that game, the Inty version is my #2 fave game of all time. I don't see what the big deal is, INTV released Thunder Castle and Tower of Doom without the AD&D names or copyrights, but didn't change the games. I would also like to see Rocky and Bullwinkle, it looks potentially really good. Why not just call it Squirrell & Moose :-) (and the oils well type game too,)

#13 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Quadrunner

• 34,986 posts

Posted Thu Aug 5, 2004 7:46 PM

What's up with all these prototype threads in the 2600 forums lately?  There's a prototype forum for these types of discussions.  Sheesh...  :roll:  :P  :D

Good point..

..Al

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users