IGNORED

Rabbit Transit ROM

Marco(2)

Marco wrote:

quote:

Well well... now where did you get that ROM? I sent the ROM to four people so far

I don't have a copy of the ROM; rather I played a proto cart version at someone else's house. I'll download the ROM later since I see that it's now available.

It didn't occur to me about the colors... And I guess I didn't pay any attention to the attract mode, so I didn't notice the different music. Weird.

quote:

Originally posted by Russ Perry Jr:

I don't have a copy of the ROM; rather I played a proto cart version at someone else's house. I'll download the ROM later since I see that it's now available.

There is a second cart proto? Interesting...

Cheers,

Marco

The game doesn't seem that hard to me, I got 29,584 on my first try at it. The only real trick is luring the guy dropping the ball to drop it on a row you haven't done yet. At the higher levels he get's annoying fast. Is there anything you can do about him other than try and lure him to certain rows?

Sqooush is just as I suspected, boring! I wonder if there's some more functionality hidden in the code that's not accessable? Maybe someone should decompile it and look.

Tempest

With a quick look at the binary, you can see, that more than 50% of the space is still unused (zero bytes).

Another good test is to look at the zipped file size:

Sqoosh: 1174 bytes

Other 4K games: ~3000 bytes (i.E. Pitfall!: 3127 bytes)

Sqoosh seemes to be just a pre-alpha graphical demo version, and I doubt that you will find anything more inside with dissassembling.

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

With a quick look at the binary, you can see, that more than 50% of the space is still unused (zero bytes).

Another good test is to look at the zipped file size:

Sqoosh: 1174 bytes

Other 4K games: ~3000 bytes (i.E. Pitfall!: 3127 bytes)

Sqoosh seemes to be just a pre-alpha graphical demo version, and I doubt that you will find anything more inside with dissassembling.

Good point and glad you took a look at the binary. Given the complex nature of that one screen, I bet there isn't too much more lurking behind the scenes if a good chunk of the binary is empty. It would be nice if an experienced 2600 programmer could run the binary through Distella to see if there's a game lurking about in there. But I don't have high hopes for that.

At least it's one less mystery in the realm of the 2600. At least most of the roms that have been discovered have been playable to some degree.

..Al

Marco wrote:

quote:

Yeah, Sean told me he had made carts out of of ROMs I sent him. He just figured he couldn't tell everyone about it at the meeting without having a cart ready to actually play the game

Made carts out of the ROMs? Huh, I thought maybe he just had your protos...

We could always have played the ROMs on his computer. I remember a meeting a few years ago where he was going through some stuff and a couple of us noticed Tempest. This was before it was released, so Sean went "oops" and we made him show us the game on an emulator.