IGNORED

A cool device.........

Charlie_

My father gave me something call an AVer TVGenie. It lets you connect video/svideo - RF/Cable signals to your computer monitor. This is great! now I don't need to hog a TV in the house. (My family does not like that.)I just plug the Atari (well mine is a coleco) in and play. :-)

avtvgenie.jpg

Charlie

Probably expensive. I remember reading a Jaguar FAQ years ago, and one of the questions was about the possibility of hooking the Jaguar to a VGA monitor. The device is called an up-scan converter, and they'll probably cost you a few hundred dollars or so... and I'm not even sure where you'd manage to find one.

A cheaper solution would be to find a composite monitor for $20-$30 and do the composite video hack.

--Zero

Another alternative is to use a video card that has A/V inputs, such as the ATI All-In-Wonder series of cards. I bought a Radeon All-In-Wonder to use for capturing Jaguar screenshots, since no emulators are available yet to take screen captures. This allows me to run just about any kind of signal (RF, composite, s-video) into my computer and display it on a PC monitor. It has the added benefit that I can take snapshots and even record video of any games I choose to play.

The Radeon All-In-Wonder typically sells for $200, while the non-Radeon versions can probably be had for less. They've been making variants of this card for some time, so it'd probably be easy to find an inexpensive, used card. Just make sure that if you did buy one it comes with all the cables, as some of them may be proprietary, making the card less useful without them.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Chazbeenhad:

Al, How is the tuner for RF channel 3 in the ATI card? The tuner in this Aver kinda sux....You can play fine, but its got some "noise" on the screen.

Good question, I haven't yet tried the tuner so I'm not sure how good/bad it might be. I can try running a cable line over to my computer to see how good the channels come in. It would be nice ot watch TV in the background as I'm using my computer. One of the neat features of this card is you can play video as the desktop background, with windows open on top of the video. Pretty neat.

..Al

quote:

Here it is. Kinda cheap.

Yep, that's it. You could probably find a non-Radeon version of this card even cheaper, although I don't know that ATI is even making those versions any more. But $150 for a card with as much functionality as the Radeon All-In-Wonder has isn't bad.

I did have one problem with the card I bought, though. I purchased a PCI version so I could use it as a second video card and run the display through a second monitor (which would give me even more incentive to run TV/DSS input into my computer). However, I could *not* get the TV Tuner program (which you also need to use when accepting s-video/composite input for viewing on your mjonitor) to work properly. It would always display an error upon loading, saying the drivers weren't properly loaded. I ultimately had to put the card in another machine as the sole video card. It works great in that machine.

..Al

If you want a cheap TV in Cart. That is seperate from your Video cart. You can get them at www.ubid.com for around 18.00 now and then. It will allow you to take video captures of the games you are playing and stuff. I got a princeton card but I'm not terribly impressed. At least playing videos look kind of bad.

ATI product are notriously flaky with the software. I do have the TV Wonder 9stand alone card) that sells for about $50. It works nicely but I spent 3 or 4 days installing/uninstalling/reinstalling all drivers before I could get the tuner to work. It seems ATI doesn't like to work with any other non ATI 3D cards. And when using it in conjunction with another ATI card (such as Radeon) you need to install the TV tuner software first. Seems the multimedia software for other cards are not compatible with ATI TV Wonder.

After I installed the Radeon All-In-Wonder card in a machine by itself (meaning, no other video cards present) it worked flawlessly. And the image quality for the s-video captures is quite good. Nearly all the Jaguar screenshots we just put online were captured with this card. A good example is Atari Karts. Keep in mind that these screenshots are compressed quite a bit, the originals look almost good enough to have been taken directly from an emulator.

However, that doesn't mean I was too pleased with the initial hassles I encountered, and if I didn't need to take all those screenshots (and more in the future), it probably would have been returned. But I do look forward to using the card as a means of watching television on my computer, even though that wasn't my original intent.

..Al

quote:

Al, if you could, please plug a 2600 up to the RF of your All-in-wonder. I'm really interested to see what you say about the image quality. If you says it's good, I'm gonna tell my wife to get me an all-in-wonder next month for my birthday.

Sure, I'll try to do that this week sometime, certainly no later than the weekend..

..Al

Al, Thanx for offering to hook up your atari to your ati card. I'm still interested to find out how the picture quality is, but I wont be needing an All-in-wonder. :-) If you look at the pic above, the cable with the yellow end is bad!! I replaced it with a cable i took out of an old broken heavy sixer, and now the TVGenie is giving me a great picture! Again, Thanx.

Charlie