IGNORED

Arcade Legends: Space Invaders

George Gray

Hopefully they won't butcher the games like the Namco version...

I played it a bit finally and I don't think it's totally butchered... the BIGGEST differences are mainly in sound.. and on that there ARE plenty of big differences. Some are more acceptable than others. For example Galaxian sound or lack of it is atrocious. And Digdugs music is pretty hilarious. But overall hey it's a cheap toy, so on that note I accepted it. My guess is the sound was scaled down to fit the small IC hardware.

As far as the gameplay goes, they're not exactly like the arcade games, but they ARE definitely just about as good for example as your average classic arcade NES ports were.. And in some places it's a little closer since the Namco Stick obviously uses some kind of partial emulation of the arcade roms.

By the way the fact often presented (I'm guilty as charged) that you can only move in 4 directions in Bosconian is FALSE. You CAN move diagonally.. but it's just really tricky to position that joystick correctly in that direction to get it going :P

By the way.. that Taito stick sounds very cool. I'm all over that :)

I'm all overr this one when it comes out. That list of games sounds like a definite winner.

I was wondering if anyone has the the Pacman Jakks collection? I was thinking of picking that one up.

For what they are, Jakks collections are fun, portable and cheap which makes them great in their own respect. I'm sure they could have emulated the games better than they did, but the controllers would have probably cost a great deal more to make and thus more to buy. How many consumers would honestly pay $80 for a joystick with a few obsolete out of date built-in games afterall?

Do you mean the Pacman/Namco collection? The one that has Galaxian and others in it? It's not all that bad... but again, I bought it for the off chance that pacman would follow the patterns... that didn't work.

But Galaxian/Dig Dug and Bosconian are pretty good on it. It's fun... but like I said a sissapointment being that Pacman isn't the same rom as the arcade rom

Bosconian is my all time favorite arcade game. I can't really vouch for the authenticity of the others,(But I know that they are no fun on the Namco 5-1), It kills me to think that there are people playing these games for the first time in this crippled format.

I do have three of the Namco 5-1's. The first I bought to play, then I found one that has a Pac-Man Ghost (Red) puppet over the joystick. The third I won in the Christmas Giveaway at Retrogaming Radio.

It's a great idea and I will continue to support it, but the quality needs to be upped a little.

• 4 months later...

I just picked up the Arcade Legends:Space Invaders package by radica. I have to say that this is a nice package with a couple of small problems that keep it back from being an unbelievable product. The games are all great versions of the classics that they are based on. These are not emulated although the graphics are really, really close. The games on this package are Spcae Invaders, Lunar Rescue, Colony 7, Phoenix, and Qix.

My biggest problem with this is that when you end a game it will automatically boot you back to the menu screen. A friend and myself were playing qix and after every game we would have to wait a couple fo seconds for the menu to pop up and then select qix again and wait another second for the game to start. This isn't that big of a deal, but it is still annoying. There is even a menu button that will allow you to back out of the game while midgame to get to the menu. I just would have liked it better if after you finish a game that it would go into an attract mode for that game. Phoenix is a little easier than the actual game. Qix is a little harder than the arcade. Space Invaders is all right, as is Lunar Rescue. Colony 7 is a blast to play.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase, but after playing the excellent paddle tv games package I have become a little spoiled in wanting these games to be spot on. I would also love to see some kind of high score save in future packages. Whether it be a built in memory card or a little watch battery that would give the unit enough power to keep the scores in memory, I think that would be a most welcome feature.

-mike

They also had the tetris and the genesis package at the Wal-mart. The tetris looked better than I thought it would be. I will probably get that sometime in the future.

I heard that they are coming out with a frogger package. I would assume that this is Arcade Legends: Frogger, but I don't know what games are on it yet.

-mike

and so did the genesis..

I haven't seen that one yet. Does it look like a standard Sega 3-button pad? What games are on it? (Not that I'm gonna buy one. Just curious.)

Answering my own question here. I saw one today. It's, IMHO, an ugly garish blue. It is shaped like a standard pad though.

Crap, I think I need all 3 of those (and probably the Frogger one too when it comes out.) I haven't bought the paddles yet either so I guess I need to make a wal-mart trip soon.... :P

( :P because the lines at wal-mart are worse than the DMV, not because they are a poorly behaved corporation.)