IGNORED

High Score Club Week 20: Fireball

Ze_ro

Don't have a Supercharger yet. (...or Fireball) :(  

I'm too much of a purist to venture into emulation-land so I'll see you folks next week.

Yeah especially with paddle games.

Although I do like emulators (for the convenience) and coolness of it, among other things. I could make a pretty good list of the advantages of emulators.

There are three things I do not like (especially with atari 2600 emulators).

1. No original controllers (unless you have the stella adapter of course). Atari sticks are right handed, pads are left handed. Paddle games do NOT translate to mouse movement very well at all.

2. Playing on a projection tv, believe it or not is harder than playing on a smaller tv. Don't ask me why, it just is.

I can't remember the third, lol. Kinda tired right now.

Anyways just for kicks I like the challenge of playing with the pad anyways because I know I'll never come close to the top players here.

But now that I got a Cuttle Cart two I may be more inclined to use the real thing.

Wow, I managed to coast all the way to the third level without losing a life, and then proceeded to lose 3 or 4 in a row trying to get those last couple blocks, since all 6 balls would fall at once :x In the end, I was one block away from beating the fourth level... If that's not being taunted by the game, I don't know what is. Oh well, I beat my high score quite nicely: 7640.

--Zero

My success came from keeping the balls in pairs. You have a few seconds before a ball you're holding is automatically released. By holding a single ball as long as possible, you can increase your chances of pairing it with another single ball. Once you have "paired up", slam to either the left or right side and release both balls. If one ricochets, grab it and wait for another "rogue ball" to come along, then do the same thing. On every board (which all seem identical in difficulty), you can reach a point where you're throwing balls, from the sides, in pairs without hitting anything. Then you can take one pair and throw them from the middle of the screen while targeting single blocks. It's a great way to slow the momentum of the game and take control of a chaotic situation. :thumbsup:

And if you lose a ball with only a few blocks on the screen, you're almost positively screwed once all six balls approach the bottom of the screen unhindered. :thumbsdown:

ò¿ó   smile_to_hsc_patches.gif

post-178-1093230956_thumb.jpg