IGNORED

Glib question

portnoyd

Hey,

I just recently found a sealed copy of Glib for the Atari 2600, which I just put up on eBay. I just have a few questions ot ask you atari collectors (I collect NES btw)

1. Atariage needs a scan of the box and manual... I can provide the box, but would it be a good or bad idea to open it to scan the manual?

2. On the box it says No. 87. Anyone know what that means?

3. There is a price sticker on the box. Would something like Goo Gone damage the sealing? Or should I just leave it on?

BTW, the auction is here: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?V...item=1286967390

Thanks,

dave

Wow..this is a tough call. You will get more for the Glib if you leave it totally sealed. Therefore I say you don't touch it and let the new owner (Hopefully somebody from this board), actually open it up and scan the manual in later. If it were me and I were the seller...I wouldn't open it or attempt to clean it up in anyway if I even suspected it could be damaged in the process.

Just me thoughts...

BTW..Glib is an excellent find!!

Thanks for the thoughts... I'll prol'ly leave it up to the seller then, especially since the seller should be a collector anyway. And I'll do the same for the price sticker.

The funny thing about this game was that it was sitting in the store for 2 weeks before I bought it. Not being to interested about it and not knowing anything about it, I left it. After 2 weeks of no new NES stock, I said what the hell and picked it up.

Boy, was I suprised when I checked atariage.

thanks again..

dave

quote:

Originally posted by portnoyd:

Thanks for the thoughts... I'll prol'ly leave it up to the seller then, especially since the seller should be a collector anyway. And I'll do the same for the price sticker.

The funny thing about this game was that it was sitting in the store for 2 weeks before I bought it. Not being to interested about it and not knowing anything about it, I left it. After 2 weeks of no new NES stock, I said what the hell and picked it up.

Boy, was I suprised when I checked atariage.

I bet! I can't believe you found this sealed in a store!! Were there any more? Of course not, but I had to ask..

As much as I'd like a nice manual scan, I certainly couldn't recommend that you break the seal. A sealed copy will probably fetch more than an opened box, even if everything is in mint condition. There's something about being the "first" to open something, especially a rare gem like that. But the purchaser may very well let it sit on his shelf and languish over the years.

I would also leave the price sticker intact, makes the shrinkwrap more "genuine", since it's relatively easy to shrinkwrap items.

..Al

Yeah.. I'd be surprised if it went for less than $500.

I've already spent my gaming allowance this week on eBay anyway. Bought 18 Brazillian 2600 carts, all of which I need. They only ended up coming to about $4-5 each, which is pretty good. Of course they're not very rare ones, but you've got to start somewhere.

Of course, I would have gotten them cheaper if my main trading buddy Ianoid hadn't bid me up. Oh well.. atleast I had a chance with him, unlike, say, BuyAtari Adam.

Talking about trading buddies, are you still alive Pitfall Harry? Haven't heard from you in months.

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

As much as I'd like a nice manual scan

I'm on it, Al. I've got that manual (but no cart ) so I can scan it for you guys.

My power gets shut off at 1am tonight (line maintenance) so I may not be able to do it before then, but if I can, I will. Otherwise I'll send it tomorrow.

As it turns out, I live in the same town as the editor of digital press. Heh, I could walk to his house in 2 minutes. Never met him, but I *hope* to go to the nava meeting in Howell this weekend.

The store I went to was in Wanaque? I think? It's just labeled "Useless Junk" on the sign. That was the extent of the Atari stuff, for the most part. The only thing left was some sealed colecovision game (I should check it out, shouldn't I? ) and the DK Jr. mentioned in the auction, which is still sitting there. I check every week for NES stuff, which I have found in small, but good quantity in the 3 months I've been checking there.

I posted on digital press's MB about the auction, and the editor (I believe) replied that I should have done a private auction first. (Make an offer type deal?). Is this common practice and was I out of line?

Lastly, my scanner driver disk disappeared, then reappeared, then disappeared again. If I can find them online, I'll post a good scan of the box ASAP. As a last resort, I'll be able to scan it on Monday at a friend's house.

dave

quote:

Originally posted by Rhindle The Red:

I'm on it, Al. I've got that manual (but no cart ) so I can scan it for you guys.

My power gets shut off at 1am tonight (line maintenance) so I may not be able to do it before then, but if I can, I will. Otherwise I'll send it tomorrow.

No rush, although I do look forward to seeing it. Sucks to have your power turned off, you're not in California, are you?

..Al

quote:

I posted on digital press's MB about the auction, and the editor (I believe) replied that I should have done a private auction first. (Make an offer type deal?). Is this common practice and was I out of line?

Lastly, my scanner driver disk disappeared, then reappeared, then disappeared again. If I can find them online, I'll post a good scan of the box ASAP. As a last resort, I'll be able to scan it on Monday at a friend's house.

I don't think I'd go for a private auction, since it won't get nearly as many eyeballs as an auction on eBay will. Plus, in the frenzy of bidding that many people work themselves into, prices might go considerably higher since you can see what your competition is bidding. There's a reason there are thousands of classic gaming items up on eBay at any given time. You certainly weren't out of line by putting it up on eBay.

If you have a fast internet connection, you could always try downloading the scanner software from the manufacturer's website. I've had to do this before for HP, Umax, and Epson scanners. I look forward to seeing the box scan.

..Al

It just depends on what you want to do - if you have a groups of collecting friends that you want to sell to as a favor of sorts, you could do a private auction. But putting a game on Ebay is common practice, and you will almost certainly get more money that way. Most people just sell on Ebay (i.e. you weren't out of line).

Will do.

The site for the drivers was down last time I checked, but I haven't looked on other sites for them.

And back to one of my original questions... any idea what No. 87 means on the package?

I'm glad I didn't commit some sort of bad move with digital press, especially since he's going to be at that nava meeting i mentioned.

dave

quote:

BTW, I know there a bunch of complete NES collections out there (And I hope to join them soon), but are they any collectors who have all Atari 2600 games?

How many games does a "complete" NES collection entail? And is that just US releases or does that include foreign (Japan!) games also? That must be an incredible number of carts.

I'm not aware of anyone who has a complete 2600 collection, although there probably are a few people who are dangerously close to owning all the 2600 North American releases, such as Al Backiel (see this thread). As time goes on, it's becoming more and more difficult to obtain the seriously rare 2600 games and those are the ones that will stop you from having a complete 2600 collection.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

I'm not aware of anyone who has a complete 2600 collection, although there probably are a few people who are dangerously close to owning all the 2600 North American releases, such as Al Backiel

I haven't heard of anyone that has a totally complete 2600 collection, but I do remember reading a thread (I think on RGVC) quite a while back about Leonard Herman's collection. IIRC isn't he just missing 3 or 4 North-American NTSC releases? That's pretty close!

Anyhow, it was a few years ago that I heard this, and maybe my memory is faltering. I know I've seen Leonard on this board before, maybe he can clear it up for me.

"As time goes on, it's becoming more and more difficult to obtain the seriously rare 2600 games and those are the ones that will stop you from having a complete 2600 collection."

Kinda sounds like you have 20 or so Stadium Events (the rarest regular NES game) :P

Well, for a complete US collection, you need around ~776 games. I believe for a complete PAL/NTSC NES collection you need around ~1600. Jason Wilson being prol'ly the only one on the planet who's close to that huge goal. Nintendo's tactics regarding games (minimum orders, retailer control) made a good chunk of released games fairly readily available.

Well, I think my scanner is broken. :P Having found the drivers, and found a power supply that works. I plug it in and turn it on, and the moving part (the scan eye part) just whirs and groans, but doesn't move. I opened it up and moved the eye down by hand. After I did this, the eye moved very slowly back to its original position. I guess the motor died? That's what you get for a $15 scanner.

So, Monday night, I'll have the box scan. Sorry about that :P

dave