IGNORED

Glib question

portnoyd

Well, for a complete US collection, you need around ~776 games. I believe for a complete PAL/NTSC NES collection you need around ~1600. Jason Wilson being prol'ly the only one on the planet who's close to that huge goal. Nintendo's tactics regarding games (minimum orders, retailer control) made a good chunk of released games fairly readily available.

Wow, that's pretty sizeable. Those carts sure would take a lot of storage space. It'd be cool to see pictures of an NES collection that large, just to get a feel for it. I haven't started collecting NES carts yet. Perhaps I should.

Well, I think my scanner is broken. :P Having found the drivers, and found a power supply that works. I plug it in and turn it on, and the moving part (the scan eye part) just whirs and groans, but doesn't move. I opened it up and moved the eye down by hand. After I did this, the eye moved very slowly back to its original position. I guess the motor died? That's what you get for a $15 scanner.

Yeah, I've found that many of those cheap scanners aren't built to last very long. They're fine if you don't scan items too often, but terrible for frequent use. Or if you want to scan hundreds of 2600 manuals.

So, Monday night, I'll have the box scan. Sorry about that :P

No problem, just hope you're able to scan it before the auction ends.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Pitfall Harry:

Marco, It ain't over till it's over.Ben

I had no idea you were bidding? I always check the bidding history before I bid, but there were no email addresses there that looked familiar. Are you Atari2000? Sorry about that - you can easily outbid me again though

Cheers,

Marco

Albert:

Here's a picture of my NES collection. The first 3 shelves are 2600 then the rest to the floor are NES. I can put up better pictures later if needed. At the time the picture was taken I was missing I think 5 US releases. Now I need 3. Stadium Events, Bubble Bath Babes and Peek-A-Boo Poker. There are more than 775 if you actually count them since a few UK titles are in there also. I could have easily finished a US collection by now but I found all the rest in the wild so prefer to keep getting them that way Most likely it will take another few years and some good luck tho

nes_carts.jpg

Al,

I may try and go over my friend's house tonight, but it looks doubtful. Can Staples/Kinko's do scans for you?

AlanD,

A Hot Slots in the wild?! Good God. More than half of my collection (around 710-720 right now) was eBay/Yahoo auction related. I wish it could be more wild related, but it never seemed to fall that way. The best thing I've found in the wild was a Game action replay... and that was in south carolina!

Good luck with finding a stadium events in the wild... I know I'll be paying $500+ for the cart alone on eBay. The box by itself went for $150. It will be really sick next time it's on.

dave

quote:

Originally posted by AlanD:

Here's a picture of my NES collection. The first 3 shelves are 2600 then the rest to the floor are NES.

Hi Alan,

Geocities doesn't allow you to link in images like that, so I copied it and stuffed it somewhere on AtariAge (if you don't mind):

Alan's Impressive NES Collection

Let me just say that I hope you don't live in an earthquake prone region, as I'd hate to be anywhere near that shelving unit should the earth start moving. Is it just my imagination or are some of those shelves bowing a bit? I love the Pac-Man rug, by the way, as well as the huge Lynx Pac-Land box.

..Al

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: Albert ]

quote:

Originally posted by portnoyd:

I may try and go over my friend's house tonight, but it looks doubtful. Can Staples/Kinko's do scans for you?

Kinkos probably can, although I certainly wouldn't spend any money on getting it scanned. Again, there's no rush. If you're able to scan it Monday night then that'll work fine. And there's no need to make a special run to your friend's house *just* to scan Glib. If you're going over there anyway, well, no harm done.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Pitfall Harry:

If you featured it in the
AtariAge Auction Spotlight
, perhaps that might intimidate your competition enough to allow you to win.

I think we were planning on doing that anyway. I didn't realize until just now that there are only two days left in the auction. I just went to grab a picture from the auction to put on our front page and the pictures don't appear to be loading! I think someone may have gone over his bandwidth quota, or the pictures were accidently deleted from the server.

Dave?

..Al

Odd... the server is kinda crappy (but it would be a big pain to switch over at this point), so it may refuse the connection sometimes. Try these links for the pics...

http://el33t.disflux.net/1dscf0006.jpg http://el33t.disflux.net/glibside.jpg http://el33t.disflux.net/glibfront.jpg

I'm sorry I made the auction so short. I put the auction up with the intention that Glib was nothing out of the ordinary, and that I'd like to get $30 for it quickly. (I *almost* made a BIN of $30...)

Those links SHOULD work. If not, reply.

dave

portnoyd:

Yes I had my roommate call me at work while he was out thrifting and told me he had found a surprise for me. I was pretty shocked when he showed the cart to me. He found it at a local consignment shop and scoured the rest of the store looking for anything else worthwhile. Other 2 weren't to be found. Quite a nice addition to the collection.

Last Stadium Events cart only I saw on ebay I believe went for over $200 so I'm in no rush to get one. I don't have that kind of money to spend on a single cart. Eventually it will come around.

Albert:

Thanks for fixing the link. It previewed fine but must have pulled from my cache. Actually I'm not too worried about the shelving falling over. Once I started loading it down it started leaning so I nailed it to the wall The shelves are definitely bowing. All the stacks have 11 carts in them except for the bottom one because the shelf above it has bowed enough that I can only get 10 in there. A few of my carts are in other areas since they are different shaped (Aladdin carts) or more valuable.

I have 3 more racks about that size filled right now in the same room. Current inventory is somewhere around 3500 games from the 2600 up to the PSX and N64. Eventually I am going to clean and organize this place and take some good pictures of my collection.

The Pac rug my wife found at a flea market and is the highlight of her memorabilia collection. The Pac-Land box is actually the instruction manual laminated. A friend that sometimes is at NAVA made it for me as well as a whole ton of classic posters.

quote:

Originally posted by portnoyd:

I'm sorry I made the auction so short. I put the auction up with the intention that Glib was nothing out of the ordinary, and that I'd like to get $30 for it quickly. (I *almost* made a BIN of $30...)

Oh man, I'm glad that didn't happen. Because I wouldn't have been the one to spot this and then we'd have to listen to someone else brag about it.

I was able to grab the images from the links you posted and have now put this auction on the front page. Thanks!

..Al

I honestly thought it would top $500.. I'm surprised BuyAtari wasn't into the action on this one.

Still, tho, that's about $250 more than I'd be willing to spend (and about $350 more than I sanely should spend) on it.. I bet the seller must be thrilled with the price.

If he's looking to spend that money, I have a new-in-the-box copy of Espial I'm looking at selling.

Although I did get $360, I was hoping for the $400-$500 that everyone was saying, but you know what? That's ok.... I'm selling some extra NES stuff and I sold a complete NES FF for good cash, so it makes up for it.

Thanks guys for all your help. The scans of the box will be ULed tomorrow night.

dave

I don't think they ever "sealed" the boxes (tho I might be wrong).. so that might be hard to find. Heck, finding a new in the box 2600 would be difficult enough.. particular if you don't want a "Junior".

The only new in the box console I have still in the wrap is an NES.. I've never found any other complete system "in the wild" completely unused.

Sorry to get your hopes up about $500, but honestly, since you only wanted $30, I think you did really, really well. I showed my girlfriend your auction, and she told me that if I spent that much on a 2600 game, she'd have to put me away