IGNORED

What are the oldest arcade machines in your area?

Streck

I've taken to mentally cataloging all the vintage arcade machines around town. Didn't even realize I was doing it at first. Anyway, this is what we had a few months ago:

Pac-Man (mall)

Ms. Pac-Man (two malls and a burger joint)

Donkey Kong (burger joint)

Asteroids (pizza joint)

Galaga (mall, dorm)

BurgerTime (dorm)

Arkanoid (dorm)

Gorf (mall)

"Ultracade" with lots of emulated classics (dorm)

Things have changed now:

Pac-Man (mall): Still there

Ms. Pac-Man (two malls and a burger joint): Gone from one of the malls

Donkey Kong (burger joint): Still there

Asteroids (pizza joint): Still there

Galaga (mall, dorm): Gone from the mall

BurgerTime (dorm): Screen now constantly scrolls left to right, unplayable

Arkanoid (dorm): Screen now tinted bright green, still playable

Gorf (mall): Still there

"Ultracade" with lots of emulated classics (dorm): Gone, may appear after building renovation

Pacs (thats because they are my stops!)

Pole Position cockpit at Chuck E Cheeses

A couple of the Missile Command combo Centipede machines around.

Thats about it for on-site stuff. There is a warehouse about an hour and a half away that has stuff back to the 20's and 30's all the way through new. I have gotten a number of fantastic pieces from him. Tons of old vids, even the ultra rare stuff!

Cassidy

I'm impressed that your mall would still have arcade games. I remember

when it was standard for a mall to have a small strip of arcades by the

entrances but I havn't notice any for at least 10 years. 7-11 used to have

them too. But if you check out your laundromats I bet you will find more

arcade games tucked away. Also many many bars have the odd game

or pinball in corner by pool tables, and pool halls usually have one.

I visit Funspot at least twice a year and they have some pretty old relics that you can play. In fact, they are now an official "classic video game museum" so these machines are well taken care of and will never be gutted or destroyed.

The oldest title I saw the last time I was there was Gunfight and the original Breakout.

I visit Funspot at least twice a year and they have some pretty old relics that you can play. In fact, they are now an official "classic video game museum" so these machines are well taken care of and will never be gutted or destroyed.

Is that the one in Weirs? or Laconia? Whatever the case may be.

Is that the one in Weirs? or Laconia? Whatever the case may be.

Weirs Beach.

Just up the road from the boardwalk area. Laconia is a few miles away.

They hold a Classic Gaming Tournament there every June.

I'm impressed that your mall would still have arcade games. I remember when it was standard for a mall to have a small strip of arcades by the entrances but I havn't notice any for at least 10 years.

Well, like I said, the Ms. Pac-Man and Galaga are now gone from one of the malls. And the arcade in the other mall, which has a sped-up Ms. Pac-Man, Gorf, and Wizard of Wor (forgot to include that one in my list), just tightened its operating hours. Gettin' a tad nervous. :(

I never thought to check out laundromats, though, I'll have to try those.

• 2 weeks later...

Cedar Point (www.cedarpoint.com) is not only home to the most roller coasters in the world (including the tallest and fastest, but they are also home to one he// of a lot of classic games. Unfortunatly, they do not keep them up as well as they should, but most are still playable. the list includes (note: most games have more than one machine there)

Gun Fighter

space invaders

pac-man

ms. pac-man

donkey kong

asteroids

asteroids deluxe

gorf

defender

stargate

missle command

frogger

super monaco

turbo

star fire

speed freak

sea wolf

stunt cycle!!!!!!!!!!!

robotron

there are quite a few older electromechanical pinball macines, a williams flash machine, and two atari herculees pinball machines!!!!!!! they also have 2 old (from the 60s) Chicago Coin baseball games, that I love!!! this is the place for games!! located in Sandusky ohio USA between Cleveland and Toledo on Lake Erie.

PS- yes, i know six flags magic mountain also has 16 coasters.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine lives over in olathe/overland park. Until recently he had a maneater and a computer space both in his garage. The maneater was really cool, the cabinet was shaped like a shark with the monitor in his mouth.

The oldest machines near me would be the death race in the garage and the formula k and super breakout in the carport. And the oldest arcade game near me, Midway's sea rescue 1968 in my living room. :)

I think i am the owner of the oldest board in the city of The Hague (Netherlands). I have an Olympic Video Tennis (pong clone), dated around 1972.

There aren't any public arcades anymore here, just collectors. I only have boardsets, not dedicated cabinets. The oldest are: Olympic Video Tennis, Rally-X, Vanguard and SkyLancer.

i'd say any galaga or ms pac man machines in my town, would have to be the oldest ones i know of.

in matamoros, taumalipas(across the border from me), i don't know exactly which is the oldest, but in so many little groceries and kiosks they have lots of kof machines in small cabinets.. a lot of them.

and one arcade in reynosa, taumaulipas, had a bunch of real old games. many were working, some weren't... but it's always a nice mix if you ever get that far south in this planet earth.

for all i know, in south america's major cities.. there may be thousands of old machines buried or rotting never to be played again... or seen by north american eyes. maybe even in africa there might be some video games of interest not seen.

you just have to be well traveled before you even see a half of all the video games and pinballs ever made.

I went to eat at Shorty Smalls in OKC this past week. On the way out I saw a small door -- when I walked by, I saw it opened up into a small arcade. "There he goes," said my wife.

They had original Galaga and Ms. Pac-Man machines, among a few others.