IGNORED

Hey! My Cuttle Cart arrived!

Rhindle The Red

I forgot to mention that I got my Cuttle Cart today.

It comes with various stuff so I added three items to my database in three different categories:

Cuttle Cart - Atari - Atari 2600

Cuttle Cart Software - Microsoft - Windows 95/98

and the niftiest new subdivision in my database:

Stella Gets A New Brain - Multiple Formats - Atari 2600 & PC

FYI - I call the Cuttle Cart an Atari 2600 cartridge because it has actual code that runs on a 2600. Plug it in, turn the 2600 on and it does something. In contrast, a device like the Camerica Alladin for the NES I do not consider a cart since it's just a bypass adapter. It doesn't do anything without an Aladdin cart in it.

Shouldn't AtariAge list it as a cart?

quote:

Originally posted by Rhindle The Red:

FYI - I call the
Cuttle Cart
an Atari 2600 cartridge because it has actual code that runs on a 2600. Plug it in, turn the 2600 on and it does something. In contrast, a device like the Camerica Alladin for the NES I do not consider a cart since it's just a bypass adapter. It doesn't do anything without an Aladdin cart in it.

Shouldn't AtariAge list it as a cart?

This is a good question. You make a good point about the Cuttle Cart being more than just a piece of hardware since it does contain 2600 code. You pop it in, turn on the 2600 and you're presented with a screen prompting you to load a game. You even get a nice progress indicator while the game is loading.

But it's not a standalone piece of software like all the other 2600 carts we have listed, it's more of a utility cart. But I guess utility carts should count, even if they are a bit unusual in their nature. Certainly the Atari 8-bit has tons of utility carts and when we get around to listing them they'll be in the database as well.

I'll add an entry for the Cuttle Cart later today, just need to type up a brief description of it and find the scans I took of mine a while back. I'll also have to grab the screenshot from Chad Schell's site.

Thanks for the excellent suggestion,

..Al

PS: Now that I'm using my Cuttle Cart, I really need to find someone who can mod my 2600 Jr. with an S-Video output. I don't get a great signal coming in through my ATI All-In-Wonder card. I want the nice, clean output that I saw running at Chad's booth at CGE.

quote:

Originally posted by NE146:

Apparently my Cuttle cart arrived too.. but I wasn't home so they left it with the apt. manager who closes at 6.. *sigh* guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow

Ahhh, the joys of living in an apartment.. At least someone was available to sign for it, instead of it going back to the Post Office!

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by ubersaurus:

cant get frogger working on my cart though from the stella cd, maybe it burned badly.

That's too bad—Starpath's Supercharger version of Frogger is a revelation. I have previously gotten the copy on the Stella Gets a New Brain 2.0 CD to work with an actual Supercharger; so, I can vouch that it is not a problem on the “golden master.” Like you said, it might be a problem with your particular copy.

Of course, another possibility is a compatibility problem. Has anyone else had trouble with using this particular game with the Cuttle Cart?

The Starpath version of Frogger works fine on the Cuttle Cart. I just tested it again to make certain.

You aren't by chance trying to load Track #9 are you? It should be track 15, but I've had other people look at the numbers in the left column and use those as track numbers. Trying to load Track #9 would just give you the flashing "Play load 00" message.

Chad

quote:

Originally posted by C. Schell:

The Starpath version of Frogger works fine on the Cuttle Cart. I just tested it again to make certain.

You aren't by chance trying to load Track #9 are you? It should be track 15, but I've had other people look at the numbers in the left column and use those as track numbers. Trying to load Track #9 would just give you the flashing "Play load 00" message.

Chad

I got my Cuttle Cart on Friday (and I wasn't expecting it until Monday)! I can honestly say that the Cuttle Cart is pure genius. It works better than I could have possibly hoped.

And yes, I also tried playing CD track #9 for about five minutes before I saw my mistake. D'OH!

Thank you Chad, for an AMAZING product.

-Matt

Albert wrote:

quote:

PS: Now that I'm using my Cuttle Cart, I really need to find someone who can mod my 2600 Jr. with an S-Video output. I don't get a great signal coming in through my ATI All-In-Wonder card. I want the nice, clean output that I saw running at Chad's booth at CGE.

Chris Wilkson is working on an add-on board to do a direct AV out. He's currently swamped with school stuff but hopes to get it going over Christmas break. I'm looking forward to getting one.

quote:

Originally posted by Russ Perry Jr:

Albert wrote:

Chris Wilkson is working on an add-on board to do a direct AV out. He's currently swamped with school stuff but hopes to get it going over Christmas break. I'm looking forward to getting one.

I had the pleasure of experiencing it firsthand at CGE. Chad Schell was using it to demonstrate his Cuttle Cart. I even took some pictures of it. Here's one, for those who haven't seen it:

Chris Wilkson's S-Video 2600 Jr. Mod

I can't wait until I can buy one or more of these!!

..Al