IGNORED

Post your homebrew Vectrex game reviews here!

Jess Ragan

I'm posting this in the hopes of gauging peoples' reaction to the latest Vectrex games, specifically Protector, YASI, War of the Robots, and I, Cyborg (if it's been released yet... I'm not sure). I just purchased the Protector/YASI combo, but unfortunately, I don't have a system to play it on at the moment. I've ordered one... it just hasn't arrived yet. :?

I was happy to shell out the $15 for a copy of Protector/YASI... it's a great deal for two high quality Vectrex games. I'm not so sure about I, Cyborg, though... it retails for double that price, and you get only one game out of the deal. Is the price justified? Has anyone played the author's previous game, War of the Robots? How did that turn out?

Also, if you've used the Vec Voice peripheral, please post your opinion of it here. I'm curious to see how much it enhances compatible Vectrex games. Apparently, YASI supports the Vec Voice peripheral... I'm not sure WHY, but the option to use it is there. :ponder:

JR

I'm posting this in the hopes of gauging peoples' reaction to the latest Vectrex games, specifically Protector, YASI, War of the Robots, and I, Cyborg

The homebrew Vectrex programmers are amazing at what they can get the Vectrex console to do!

Alex Herbert has done some amazing programming .. and introduced RASTER display on the Vectrex. This is what makes YASI so amazing and it looks just like the arcade version of Space Invaders!! Protector is a very hard version of Defender with lots of objects all over the screen and no vector flicker! Alex has made a demo program called XYLO of walking through a maze. When this is run on two Vectrex consoles and they are linked together then you have two players searching the maze for eachother! I hope to try this out when people come to my house on Saturday. http://www.herbs64.com/

George Pelonis has made a really impressive first game for the Vectrex in War of the Robots. You are in a tower and you shoot robots coming at you from all directions. But you cannot move out of the tower so there's only Left Right .. no Forward Backwards. There's a 360 deg radar to help you turn and shoot. The game is not scored so it is a matter of survival!

George is releasing his second game today, Sept 13th, 2004. I, Cyborg is supposed to be action packed and have alot of depth. It is a 32k game which is as big as they come. I will be receiving my copy later this week so I can give more info about it then. http://geovector.tripod.com/

Also, if you've used the Vec Voice peripheral, please post your opinion of it here.  I'm curious to see how much it enhances compatible Vectrex games.  Apparently, YASI supports the Vec Voice peripheral... I'm not sure WHY, but the option to use it is there.  :ponder:

Well I'm kinda biased as I made many of the VecVoice units here in the USA. It is designed by Richard Hutchinson (UK) who is working on a second version of the VecVoice to be called the VecVox. He is working on the Atari version too BTW! I just received my VecVox in the mail so I have not had a chance to try it out. But it is backwards compatible with the VecVoice games which include: Verzerk (Voice Berzerk), YASI and my Pythagorean Theorem program. Verzerk gives voice to the robots "Intruder Alert", "Get the Intruder" while gameplay is happening! The Atari versions only speak while the game is suspended briefly. YASI has the Space Invaders speaking while the game is going on. If you hit the saucer some funny phrases are verbalized. Now my Pythagorean Theorem is the most gregarious program of them all! The VecVoice speaks all five text screens and then narrates through the interactive, graphical proof. But I am still waiting for a game that depends on the voice for clues! The new VecVox is supposed to be able to produce a wide range of beeps and whistles! R2D2 anyone?

Now John Dondzila's games really rock: Vecmania, Vectopia, Gravitrex! All must haves!

Another guy programmed a version of Thrust for the Vectrex! Very nice.

Then there are Chris Tumber's games. The best of which is Omega Chase. Also there is a clone of Tempest called Tsunami .. and a clone of QIX called VIX. The cool thing about Tsunami is that it can be played in three control ways, one uses the Atari Driving Controller as a spinner!

Hardware: VecFlash allows for up to 15 banks of games to be selected and played on the console.

Control circuits allow for Atari sticks to be connected .. including the 5 button Starplex controller .. allows for games like Thrust, Gravitrex, and Minestorm to be played like arcade games!

There's a new circuit that allows for LCD shutter glasses to be connected to play the 3D games.

And there's a circuit to connect a PS controller to the Vectrex.

I even have my palmtop connected to the Vectrex for games to be uploaded! Cool stuff!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Apparently, YASI supports the Vec Voice peripheral... I'm not sure WHY, but the option to use it is there.

Because it makes a cool game cooler :wink:

My favourite Vec game is still John D's Birds of Prey.

BTW Vectrex Thrust is officially released this month, check out the demo it is truly awesome -

www.eldean.se/vectrex/

I would love to see a nice 'moon-scape' color-bar overlay for vectrex space invaders. or maybe even different overlays to simulate the look of different arcade version. Id pay good $$ for em :-)

I love yasi, and i love protector. Though my favorite vectrex game is sadly no longer available, it is 'spike goes down' the hidden bonus game on the original protector se.

I didnt get too much out of war of the robots, but I have still already ordered I, cyborg. :-)

All of Dondzillas stuff is good to awesome, you can't go wrong with it.

Patriots is still my favorite of his games.

After years of being spoilt by vic-20 omega race, I had high hopes for omega chase, but something just isn't quite right with it. It's fun in it's own right, but just doesn't keep me playing.

Boxing is a great two player game, also.

my all time favorite vectrex game is a homebrew - rockaroids remix

its a totally satisfying version of the most famous vector game asteroids. it simply does what it should, that is bring out the best elements of the arcade game. i dont need to describe the game play at great legnth since its so close to the arcade, except vectrex sized. it retains that "just one more try" addiction.

i have protector/YASI and i'm really fond of those as well, very faithful and fun homages to the classic arcade games. i must confess i sometimes like to sit around bugging out on the awesome screen saver- spinning disc and music. i have to add that i'm really in awe of mark shaker for making the later carts available at cost, thank you!

my all time favorite vectrex game is a homebrew - rockaroids remix

Imagine playing this game with the 5 button Starplex controller! :D I built a special version of Jay Tiltion's Atari-Vectrex circuit just for this one game!

My all time favorite Vectrex game is John Dondzila's Repulse! Again using the Starplex. I have worn out a Starplex controller before .. requiring a rebuild. 8)

Richard .. Thanks for the Thrust update!

I would love to see a nice 'moon-scape' color-bar overlay for vectrex space invaders. or maybe even different overlays to simulate the look of different arcade version. Id pay good $$ for em :-)

Hmm. You could try the Scramble overlay?

Patriots is still my favorite of his games.

Patriots (Vectrex Missile Command) blew everybody away when it came out in 1997. I think John released three versions of Patriots over the years .. but never a trakball version. :(

Nice to see more Vectrex fans! :thumbsup:

I just ordered YASI/Protector (from Mark Shaker, and yes his prices are

very good !) and I, Cyborg.

I also like Spike Water Balloons as I'm a great kaboom fan, only the Vec's controller is not really upto it...

I also like Spike Water Balloons as I'm a great kaboom fan, only the Vec's controller is not really up to it...

John Dondzila programmed an analog version of SWB. When used in conjuction with the Vectrex Paddle (Atari paddle converted for the Vectrex) SWB plays great!

That sounds very promising, cool! Any pointer to where I might acquire such a cool sounding device :D :?

I just got my Vectrex today! I've been having a ball with YASI... it's a really ambitious conversion of Space Invaders, with a simulated raster display that makes the invaders look just like they did in the arcade. Well, not exactly... there is some flicker due to the heavy workload put on the system, but it's not nearly as bad as I had expected. The game's got a nice, even pace, too, unlike John Dondzila's Space Invaders conversions which suffered from slowdown.

Protector is a good translation of Defender, with almost nothing missing, but that was never one of my arcade favorites. Alex Herbert actually kept in the complex control from the arcade game, making Protector one of the first home conversions of Defender that plays just like the original. Not even the exceptional emulation of Defender on Midway Arcade's Greatest Hits can make this claim. However, this complicated control obfuscates the gameplay... instead of simply pressing left on the joystick, you've got to turn around and thrust. It's really tough to get used to, in my opinion.

I'd definitely recommend Protector/YASI to anyone with a Vectrex, but my favorite game in the collection is definitely YASI. The inclusion of voice effects makes me wish that Alex Herbert would write a Vectrex conversion of Gorf... now THAT would most definitely rock.

JR

I tried out a demo program written by Alex Herbert which tests the VecLink (Two Atari joystick cables with pins 1,2,3,8 wired together). What we did was link two Vectrex consoles together via controller 2 ports. Then we ran the program on the two consoles .. and we were running through a maze searching for eachother and when we came upon the other we were firing to the death! Loser got static all over the screen! Cool!

I tried out a demo program written by Alex Herbert which tests the VecLink (Two Atari joystick cables with pins 1,2,3,8 wired together).  What we did was link two Vectrex consoles together via controller 2 ports.  Then we ran the program on the two consoles .. and we were running through a maze searching for eachother and when we came upon the other we were firing to the death!  Loser got static all over the screen!  Cool!

Now someone should make a custom piece of hardware to let you do that over the internet, instead of via joystick link. :D

Now someone should make a custom piece of hardware to let you do that over the internet, instead of via joystick link.  :D

Yeah .. Now that I have my Vectrex LAN up and running .. :P

Actually Debro was talking about a joystick cable link for the Atari when I turned around and showed him the VecLink cable that I had soldered earlier yesterday! :D