Photo

XE version of Mario Brothers has stalagtites.

15 replies to this topic

#1 Shannon OFFLINE  

Shannon

Born To Be Insane

• 7,765 posts
  • Pac-man Fever

Posted Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:26 AM

I know this has been talked about to some extent how different incarnations (especially the NES) version of mario brothers does not have the stalagtites.

Well just outta curiosity I played the XE version, and sure enough they were there.

Kinda cool too see so much attention put into a title.

Sure the creatures are a little to big, firefly's should not be able to land on the POW button, you should be able to duck under fireballs, and the sound kinda sucks compared to the inferior 800/5200 version. Buy hey..

Overall the gameplay is decent enough to make it by far my favorite translation of this game.

Now too bad someone couldn't hack it and insert the 5200/800 sound effects into this game, and maybe tweak a few minor things.

Ignore the crappy color pallete. I played this on the xbox Atari emulator which does not take snaps correctly.

Attached Thumbnails

• marioxe.png

#2 andy_bernstein OFFLINE  

andy_bernstein

Moonsweeper

• 281 posts

Posted Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:09 AM

For the record, the XE version of Mario Bros has been developed by Sculptured Software (Steve Coleman & Co.) also responsible for the XE ports of Commando, Crossbow and other games like Raid Over Moscow, Ninja, Rainbow Walker (Steve Coleman for Synapse), etc.

On a U.S. level and in the mid-eighties, these guys were among the best XL/XE developers on the market.

You can check their output over @ Atarimania:

http://www.atarimani...&DEVELOP_ID=195

AB.

#3 Shannon OFFLINE  

Shannon

Born To Be Insane

• Topic Starter
  • 7,765 posts
  • Pac-man Fever

Posted Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:53 AM

Yeah. I had a chance to check out commando as well (was going thru XE titles) and talk about impressive!

#4 Kr0tki OFFLINE  

Kr0tki

Stargunner

• 1,043 posts

Posted Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:26 AM

I agree, those guys from Sculptured seem to be perfectionists :D I prefer the XE version sounds rather than the 5200 ones. I also like the big sprites - just because it is uncommon to find such amount of huge moving objects in an Atari game. And the fast, smooth graphics makes the game much nicer to play than the 5200 version.

you should be able to duck under fireballs

Could you explain? I've never heard of ducking in Mario Bros., did you mean "running under"?

#5 Shannon OFFLINE  

Shannon

Born To Be Insane

• Topic Starter
  • 7,765 posts
  • Pac-man Fever

Posted Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:16 AM

I agree, those guys from Sculptured seem to be perfectionists :D I prefer the XE version sounds rather than the 5200 ones. I also like the big sprites - just because it is uncommon to find such amount of huge moving objects in an Atari game. And the fast, smooth graphics makes the game much nicer to play than the 5200 version.

you should be able to duck under fireballs

Could you explain? I've never heard of ducking in Mario Bros., did you mean "running under"?

Ya, I meant run under. It may be possible, never played the game long enough. Basically the problem is either the spacing between the levels is too small, the fireballs are too big, or mario is too big.

In fact jumping over the creatures is a little harder than it should be.

I prefer the 8-bit sounds because they are much closer to the arcade (minus the walking sounds). Even judged on it's own, the sound in this game is pretty lame. Just listen to the end level sound. It's lame.

#6 RJ OFFLINE  

RJ

River Patroller

• 4,388 posts

Posted Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:11 AM

Shannon wrote:

firefly's should not be able to land on the POW button

They could in the arcade version. So could Mario & Luigi. It was kind of a "safe spot."

#7 RJ OFFLINE  

RJ

River Patroller

• 4,388 posts

Posted Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:13 AM

He's standing on it in your screenshot!

#8 Callipygous OFFLINE  

Callipygous

Stargunner

• 1,194 posts
  • I'm pre-qualified!

Posted Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:28 AM

Loved this one. Almost perfect. In some of the higher levels when things really get hectic, there is somewhat of slow down. Too much stuff on the screen? Zoned out on it a couple of times and reached somewhere around level 35-40. Can't remember exactly.

#9 Breakpack OFFLINE  

Breakpack

Breakpack for the new millenium :D

• 4,258 posts
  • Collecting again....:)

Posted Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:11 AM

For the record, the XE version of Mario Bros has been developed by Sculptured Software (Steve Coleman & Co.) also responsible for the XE ports of Commando, Crossbow and other games like Raid Over Moscow, Ninja, Rainbow Walker (Steve Coleman for Synapse), etc.

On a U.S. level and in the mid-eighties, these guys were among the best XL/XE developers on the market.

You can check their output over @ Atarimania:

http://www.atarimani...&DEVELOP_ID=195

AB.

Was it the same people that developed the awesome home port of MK2 for SNES???After playing that,I knew Sculptured was da bomb! :)

#10 Trip_Cannon OFFLINE  

Trip_Cannon

Stargunner

• 1,487 posts
  • Lean mean 80's machine!

Posted Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:07 AM

Sculptureed Software developed the amazing Commando for the 7800. Certainly the most refined game on that system IHMO. 8)

#11 Shannon OFFLINE  

Shannon

Born To Be Insane

• Topic Starter
  • 7,765 posts
  • Pac-man Fever

Posted Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:49 PM

I'd have to play the arcade version again, but I dont ever remember any of the creatures being able to stand on the POW button except for mario and luigi.

#12 RJ OFFLINE  

RJ

River Patroller

• 4,388 posts

Posted Wed Nov 3, 2004 7:53 PM

If a creature traveled unimpeded, it would never touch the POW. You'd have to punch it from either edge of the lower floor to get it on there.

#13 Shannon OFFLINE  

Shannon

Born To Be Insane

• Topic Starter
  • 7,765 posts
  • Pac-man Fever

Posted Fri Nov 5, 2004 1:09 AM

In retrospect my comment woulda made more sense if I said "firefly's should never land on the POW button on their own, unimpeded".

#14 RJ OFFLINE  

RJ

River Patroller

• 4,388 posts

Posted Fri Nov 5, 2004 12:20 PM

There ya go.

#15 Benighted OFFLINE  

Benighted

Space Invader

• 32 posts

Posted Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:21 AM

It is fully possible to run under the red fireballs in the XE version of Mario bros although it requires a bit of practice. You can also jump over creeps and run under the firefly.

#16 The Usotsuki OFFLINE  

The Usotsuki

Stargunner

• 1,877 posts
  • Also called "Licca"

Posted Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:24 PM

MK1 and 2 on SNES were ported by Sculptured, yeah. I think T2 (the rail shooter) might've been too?

Elsewhere it was f'n Probe, who seem to demolish most of their ports.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users