IGNORED

Hack of Coleco's Venture: Level 3 implememted!

batari

• 3 months later...
Bump. Any further work on this?

No... The second binary I posted on this thread will be the last. I got bogged down with graduate school and was never able to pick it back up.

This binary I talked about should also make into the main hacks database. It's complete as far as gameplay goes... the suggested changes were for graphics and sound, mostly.

• 2 weeks later...

Venture II is worth having and really set the standard for the quality of the hacks we have today. Its much better than the original Venture.

This Venture (3) is also incredibly good, another step in the right direction. It is also worth having. But I have not heard anything from batari about releasing it on cart, so you may not be able to buy it ever.

Ideally, I'd say you should have both. :)

And if you want a really good Venture hack, wait for Wolfenstein to make it to cart very soon. Wow. I'm very excited about adding it to my collection!

It's called Venture 3. I think that AA can make a cart for you, and I release any rights (if I had any in the first place) to the ROM so they can do this. Does AA make custom carts anymore?

The issue is that I don't have the time or the money to make them myself. It takes time to clean off old cart shells, create labels, burn EPROMS and solder (or modify the cart shells to accept socketed EPROMS), and at at $7-$9 per board (8k bankswitching board w/socket), $1.50 per EPROM, maybe 50 cents for the label, $3 for shipping, and maybe a $1 each for the cart shells, it would cost me $13-$15 each out of pocket just to make and ship each cart, assuming my time is free (it's not.)

Regardless, I have to ask, would there be any value in having me do this work instead of letting AA (or someone else) do it?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
is there a way to change the color of the walls on the 3rd level so they don't look like the 1st level? I believe they were yellow/gold

Yes! This one is easy, just a single byte. I'll do this in the next version I post here, hopefully in a few days.

707287[/snapback]

Where is the byte located?

is there a way to change the color of the walls on the 3rd level so they don't look like the 1st level? I believe they were yellow/gold

Yes! This one is easy, just a single byte. I'll do this in the next version I post here, hopefully in a few days.

707287[/snapback]

852967[/snapback]

Wow, I didn't expect this to be bumped again. I never did get around to doing this. Anyway, the byte is at 1BC7 from the beginning of the file, and the current value is hex 55. I'm not sure what yellow/gold color code is offhand, but if you want to figure it out and post the updated bin, be my guest.

707287[/snapback]

852967[/snapback]

Wow, I didn't expect this to be bumped again. I never did get around to doing this. Anyway, the byte is at 1BC7 from the beginning of the file, and the current value is hex 55. I'm not sure what yellow/gold color code is offhand, but if you want to figure it out and post the updated bin, be my guest.

853027[/snapback]

This is a great hack that seemed to slip by me the first time. I am making a few tweaks to the graphics, Nothing major.

Here is the 3rd level. Is that the right color? Lighter/Darker?

post-3832-1115772953_thumb.jpg

Edited by neotokeo2001

Venture Arcade Edition BIN(Work in Progress):

Venture_Arcade_Edition.zip

Changes made:

Slimed down the player sprite(less hanging up on walls)

Changed Hall monsters sprite exterior

Changed Hall monsters sprite interior

Changed wall color on floor 3(Is this the right shade of yellow/gold?)

I was going to try to animate the monster sprites but after seeing Nukeys explanation on how to do it, it is a little beyond what I can do. Anyone want to give it a shot?

Just fishing here, But would the Item/Intermission screen be possible?

RTvent0000.png

Edited by neotokeo2001

I dug into the original game, and seperated the GFX from the rest of the program. This allowed me to add in redundancy for all the GFX (so all the characters are animated based on what value the framecounter holds). This could also be used to add in additional levels...over half of the GFX bank is totally unused, and about 1/4 of the program bank is free. Another option would be to bump the playfield GFX register down much the same way (so that the screen GFX changes if you take too long on a room). Should be plenty of space to add in the 3rd level without needing an entire bank's worth of redundancy ;)

Venture8k.zip

I dug into the original game, and seperated the GFX from the rest of the program.  This allowed me to add in redundancy for all the GFX (so all the characters are animated based on what value the framecounter holds).  This could also be used to add in additional levels...over half of the GFX bank is totally unused, and about 1/4 of the program bank is free.  Another option would be to bump the playfield GFX register down much the same way (so that the screen GFX changes if you take too long on a room).  Should be plenty of space to add in the 3rd level without needing an entire bank's worth of redundancy ;)

855518[/snapback]

Very cool. Looks good so far.

I did notice two problems while playing the new BIN.

1. The treasure sometimes jumps back and forth.

2. The middle room on the second floor has flickering lines in the entrance.

Both are probably due to the program routines themselves no longer existing at their original memory locations...so it could be that a slight timing glitch cropped up in one of them. Fortunately, both are minor and do not affect gameplay at all. Tho if I could figure out how to do that door thing intentionally...that might lead to a pretty good addition to the game (i.e. close off the doors of rooms that have been completed).

Current problem is to get the program to deal with 24 portals (instead of 16) and 15 screens (instead of 10). Without fixing those, a lot more redundancy would be required.

Batari has done a wonderful job on this hack, I have always loved Venture and enjoy Venture 2 as well but by adding the third level Bats has made it feel like a whole new game

Good to hear you enjoy it!

Should be plenty of space to add in the 3rd level without needing an entire bank's worth of redundancy ;)

855518[/snapback]

Feel free to take my level 3 data. Aside from the playfield graphics, you'll need the treasure/monster graphics and position tables, the door position table, the color tables, the wall thickness tables, the pfroomoffsets table and maybe a few other things I can't remember now. Oh, and if someone wants to improve some of my level 3 sprite designs, have at it, I am no artist.

I would post my source, but there isn't any, I did level 3 with hack-o-matic and a hex editor. I should have used dasm but hindsight is 20/20.

It's becoming difficult to add in a level due to how some of the varibles work...so I'll probably go with routine duplication as batari did. I've already added the capability to the display bank, but it will also need to be done for the second bank as well.

The glitches have been corrected for the 2-level version tho...this was due to a timing error from crossing a page. In addition, I added a flash to the screen when you are killed, and NTSC/PAL colors are selectable using the B&W switch (the 7800's springy switch is not supported yet tho).

NOTE: the colors are loaded into ram as rooms are changed...so you won't notice them until you reset or change rooms.

Venture8k.zip

It's becoming difficult to add in a level due to how some of the varibles work...so I'll probably go with routine duplication as batari did.  I've already added the capability to the display bank, but it will also need to be done for the second bank as well.

The glitches have been corrected for the 2-level version tho...this was due to a timing error from crossing a page.  In addition, I added a flash to the screen when you are killed, and NTSC/PAL colors are selectable using the B&W switch (the 7800's springy switch is not supported yet tho).

NOTE: the colors are loaded into ram as rooms are changed...so you won't notice them until you reset or change rooms.

856521[/snapback]

Yep. They look good now.

The flash when you die is a nice touch.

:thumbsup:

It's not due to any sort of wizardry on my part ;) I just moved the code so that page breaks still occur at the same points that they do in the original 4k game's code.

Still way off from getting anything substancial added.

However, many of the ram locations use only a few bits. So by creative use of the AND and ORA commands, a good chunk of ram can be reclaimed (and substantial additions almost always need a little bit o'ram).

The original game also used only 261 scanlines, this hack was corrected to be 262 (otherwise, colors wouldn't be displayed in PAL mode).