Photo

Hack of Coleco's Venture: Level 3 implememted!

73 replies to this topic

#51 neotokeo2001 OFFLINE  

neotokeo2001

River Patroller

• 3,739 posts

Posted Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:08 PM

Any progress on adding the 3rd floor to the animated version?

#52 Nukey Shay OFFLINE  

Nukey Shay

Sheik Yerbouti

• 21,610 posts

Posted Fri Jul 1, 2005 3:04 PM

No...it should be possible without duplicating an entire bank, but I still haven't worked out how :(

#53 dinoboy38 OFFLINE  

dinoboy38

Space Invader

• 20 posts

Posted Wed Jul 6, 2005 4:36 PM

:ponder:

Yes!  This one is easy, just a single byte.  I'll do this in the next version I post here, hopefully in a few days.

View Post

How about changing the image of the little hallmonsters and animating them just like the arcade version. And also how about improving the image of the large hallmonster and having the ability to shot and destroy him. Surely shortly after he would re-appear and come at you even faster.

#54 Godzilla OFFLINE  

Godzilla

Quadrunner

• 6,794 posts

Posted Thu Jul 7, 2005 2:48 PM

man thats awesome, ive always dreamed of 2600 venture with all the boards... id love to see the treasure screen implemented too :-)

#55 Nukey Shay OFFLINE  

Nukey Shay

Sheik Yerbouti

• 21,610 posts

Posted Fri Jul 8, 2005 10:34 AM

:ponder:

Yes!  This one is easy, just a single byte.  I'll do this in the next version I post here, hopefully in a few days.

View Post

How about changing the image of the little hallmonsters and animating them just like the arcade version. And also how about improving the image of the large hallmonster and having the ability to shot and destroy him. Surely shortly after he would re-appear and come at you even faster.

View Post

The "easy" way:
batari's 8k version could be changed into a 16k version...where the 2 other banks hold alternate GFX for anything. Really wasteful, but it should work OK. I'm stumped on how to accomplish it without all that redundancy :(
BTW the hall monsters are invincible in the arcade game. Giving the ability to kill them would just make the game easier ;)

#56 batari OFFLINE  

batari

)66]U('=I;B$*

• Topic Starter
  • 6,646 posts
  • begin 644 contest

Posted Sat Jul 9, 2005 1:52 AM

The "easy" way:
batari's 8k version could be changed into a 16k version...where the 2 other banks hold alternate GFX for anything.  Really wasteful, but it should work OK.  I'm stumped on how to accomplish it without all that redundancy :(

View Post

There's probably a way to do it by reorganizing everything, but it would be a lot of work. I did double up the 8k into 16k a while back, though, but only animated the hall monsters. perhaps someone wants to go in and animate the rest of the beasties by changing the graphics in the alternate banks?

Attached Files

#57 supercat OFFLINE  

supercat

Quadrunner

• 6,401 posts

Posted Sat Jul 9, 2005 1:24 PM

There's probably a way to do it by reorganizing everything, but it would be a lot of work.  I did double up the 8k into 16k a while back, though, but only animated the hall monsters.  perhaps someone wants to go in and animate the rest of the beasties by changing the graphics in the alternate banks?

View Post

Hey, why not go to 32K and use four-frame animation for all the monsters? 32K doesn't cost any more than 16K these days.

#58 sandmountainslim OFFLINE  

sandmountainslim

Vicar of Fonz

• 5,669 posts
  • Climber 5 Champion since Jan 2005

Posted Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:23 PM

Is work still progressing on this one?
This is one great hack!
WP

#59 CDS Games OFFLINE  

CDS Games

Moonsweeper

• 304 posts

Posted Sun Nov 9, 2014 3:51 PM

There's probably a way to do it by reorganizing everything, but it would be a lot of work. I did double up the 8k into 16k a while back, though, but only animated the hall monsters. perhaps someone wants to go in and animate the rest of the beasties by changing the graphics in the alternate banks?

Done: Attached File  Venture3animated.bin   16KB   208 downloads

9 years later. :)

#60 KevinMos3 OFFLINE  

KevinMos3

Stargunner

• 1,471 posts
  • Founder of the Timothy Dalton as Bond fan club

Posted Sun Nov 9, 2014 9:32 PM

Geez, how did I never notice that they weren't animated???

Very cool.  Thanks for this!

#61 CDS Games OFFLINE  

CDS Games

Moonsweeper

• 304 posts

Posted Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:02 PM

Another option for 32k would be to have the treasures change on levels 4-7.

Here's a sample 16k version with new treasures:

`

Attached File  venture3newtreasures.bin   16KB   152 downloads

Seems like a cheap but effective way to reward the player for making it to level 4 and beyond.

Of course, it's another massive waste of memory to change a few bytes.  :)

Edited by CDS Games, Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:08 PM.

#62 BrianC OFFLINE  

BrianC

Stargunner

• 1,661 posts

Posted Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:03 PM

Would it be possible for a 32k hack to add the missing music and intermissions from the arcade?

#63 CDS Games OFFLINE  

CDS Games

Moonsweeper

• 304 posts

Posted Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:27 PM

Not sure.  Maybe if they somehow they could replace the unused second level in banks 1 and 3?

#64 KevinMos3 OFFLINE  

KevinMos3

Stargunner

• 1,471 posts
  • Founder of the Timothy Dalton as Bond fan club

Posted Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:43 PM

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work on real hardware.  I've tried on a few different systems and I get the same result.  The screen is split vertically overlapping, making it unplayable.

#65 BrianC OFFLINE  

BrianC

Stargunner

• 1,661 posts

Posted Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:10 PM

Venture 3 animated (including the older version) flips constantly on real hardware.

Edited by BrianC, Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:21 PM.

#66 BrianC OFFLINE  

BrianC

Stargunner

• 1,661 posts

Posted Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:19 PM

I'm curious how far back the flipping goes. I'll download and test the first animated one to see if it has any issues. The 3 level non animated AE version in 8k works great.

#67 CDS Games OFFLINE  

CDS Games

Moonsweeper

• 304 posts

Posted Wed Jan 7, 2015 2:15 PM

I'd be curious about that as well. I really need to get a Harmony Cart.

If we have to ditch the animation, that would stink because it really does improve the game. Adding extra treasures seems such a subpar alternative.

#68 BrianC OFFLINE  

BrianC

Stargunner

• 1,661 posts

Posted Wed Jan 7, 2015 2:59 PM

I just tried the first 8k version with animations and it doesn't flip. I don't feel they add to the gameplay, but they are a nice addition. I'm more interested in some of the other missing arcade elements like the bonus timer, disappearing walls, and music, though.

Edit: Doh. Moving walls are still there, though one thing missing from home versions is the ability to shoot them.

Edited by BrianC, Wed Jan 7, 2015 3:09 PM.

#69 CDS Games OFFLINE  

CDS Games

Moonsweeper

• 304 posts

Posted Wed Jan 7, 2015 3:17 PM

Oh nice! Which version was that one exactly? I can go back and redo the animations.

The other elements are over my head unfortunately.

#70 BrianC OFFLINE  

BrianC

Stargunner

• 1,661 posts

Posted Wed Jan 7, 2015 4:49 PM

I think the first two level 8k on this page that Nukey Shay posted is the one that didn't roll. I haven't tried the other 8k animated ones.

Edit: Actually, I think it was the second one I tried since it mentions that the first has bugs.

Edit 2: It seems the second 8k one definitely lacks the flipping, so it started with the 16k version Batari posted.

Edited by BrianC, Wed Jan 7, 2015 4:59 PM.

#71 CDS Games OFFLINE  

CDS Games

Moonsweeper

• 304 posts

Posted Thu Jan 8, 2015 8:21 PM

Yeah that second 8k is a nice version. Nukey did the animations on those so no need to redo the wheel aside from a few tweaks. (the Intellivision Venture is animated and has about the same resolution as the Atari so it's a good model to work from.)

Hm...so I guess next step is to add level 3 to that.

#72 Jin OFFLINE  

Jin

Solar Striker

• 1,525 posts

Posted Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:50 AM

Bumping this thread back up to see if there has been any more progress made with it. I've been playing and loving the heck out of Batari's third level hack, and (IMHO) the only thing it really needs is to have the third level wall and a good portion of the creature and treasure colors changed to match the arcade or ColecoVision versions. Gold walls on the third level, green hall monsters in every level, light green snakes on the first level, gold dragons on the second level, blue demons on the third level, etc. If anyone could get the wall, creature, and treasure colors sorted to match the arcade or ColecoVision version this would be pretty much perfect. :)

The only other odd thing I noticed is that there's a stray block in the Genie room on the third level that shouldn't be there, and difficulty level seems to scale a bit faster than in the original 2600 version. It seems like it skips the second play through difficulty and jumps straight to the third or fourth play through difficulty. That might be a lot harder to change than fixing the color schemes though.

#73 CDS Games OFFLINE  

CDS Games

Moonsweeper

• 304 posts

Posted Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:43 PM

I started hacking batari's Level 3 into the 8k version, but that was a while ago and I'm not even sure how far I got. Right now I'm in the middle of Gauntlet so no plans to work on this.

It's been a while since I looked at the code so I dunno what is feasible or not out of your suggestions, but you're definitely right, there's a whole lot of potential here.

#74 Protestari OFFLINE  

Protestari

Dragonstomper

• 542 posts

Posted Mon Aug 3, 2015 1:40 PM

Interested in a final version on a cart if available

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users