IGNORED

Something VERY impressive

emkay

impressive... but at the moment nothing special to me as i have played around with my XE1541 cable and played / converted many c64 games and played them over the weekend... ;) so my ears are full of SID...

but they rock, the 2nd one is more of my taste as the 1st one is more "polish" style... :D

so... 2 questions still remains:

- own routines?

- sid-player routines used/ripped?

- TMC2.0? (Jaskier?)

so... we will definitly see atari productions in 2004/2005 with SIDlike music as the polish coders are getting used to it...

btw... my uk marketing manager organised me uk print mag "retro gamer"... holy shit... that's great!!! get it...

but they rock, the 2nd one is more of my taste as the 1st one is more "polish" style... :D

Hey... the 1st Song (LPF.XEX) is a rebuild of the 2nd Reality Demo (Second Reality is THE DEMO on the PC scene/remembering back when I had my 486 with a GUS soundcard 8) ). And I don't remember the creator "Skaven" a polish guy though ;)

so... 2 questions still remains:

- own routines?

- sid-player routines used/ripped?

- TMC2.0? (Jaskier?)

It's an updated SID-Player from Swiety. Don't you recognize the scroller engine (Reditus)?

emkay... thanks for infos...havent recognised it... but i went through the comments @ atariarea regarding the 2 demos... (neverless i do not understand any polish but some hints are there...)

atari800win showed just crap gfx scrolling up... so i do not have recognised anything... ?

ps. i've threw my competition pro joystick to the floor while playing cybernoid 2 on c64... it's so unbelievable hard (or i am getting old... ;)) and can someone tell me how to switch weapon at zynaps?

I noticed this too on hyteria the other day. the SID routine is developing more and more. Really great stuff. I wouldn't have thought that software emulation of the SID would be possible. It's very good even for those who know the real SID sound well. Even on most of the modern computers SID emulation is not that acurate. It'll be nice to see this appear on a games title screen. We've already seen it included in a demo so far. We can use something like goattracker on the PC to produce some nice new SID tracks then.

ps. i've threw my competition pro joystick to the floor while playing cybernoid 2 on c64... it's so unbelievable hard (or i am getting old... ;)) and can someone tell me how to switch weapon at zynaps?

Hold down the fire button to make the ship glow, then collect a power-up to activate the selected weapon (icon in the console). And yes, Cybernoid 2 is a bit of a bitch... =-)

Seemed just right ot me in NTSC on emulator - 2nd song is very well done!

Space Harrier XE with this music would rock!

I want to do something better with the music and sfx on SH, but anything that steals too many cycles will be a problem. Something like TMC may be OK though (I don't know many good Atari trackers, or how to incorporate them into a game)

I agree - these 2 songs are great sounding music - they do sound digitised to me though, maybe using something similar to the excellent SidPlayer. Awesome sounding, but far too many cycles for in-game Space Harrier I expect. :sad:

I want to do something better with the music and sfx on SH, but anything that steals too many cycles will be a problem. Something like TMC may be OK though (I don't know many good Atari trackers, or how to incorporate them into a game)

... what to say?

Take a tracker like RMT plus free POKEY programming abilities and some user-definable software-controllers at vbi speed, to get something similar to those tunes.

This is very impressive - some of the best lows I've heard on the Atari. I've finally managed to get the complete SID and SAP collections and the plug-ins for Winamp. The Atari tunes sound "scratchy" (can't think of a better term to describe it) compared to the SID tunes.

Still - very very impressive that there is SID emulation working on a real Atari machine.

Stephen Anderson

Heaven - you're partially right. There was an intro by BitBusters ("More!") which was released at QuaST '97. The beginning of music was nothing else but cover of some part of Second Reality tune (and the author of More!'s music was Alex/BB).

:)

... what to say?

Take a tracker like RMT plus free POKEY programming abilities and some user-definable software-controllers at vbi speed, to get something similar to those tunes.

Thanks - I was starting to have a look at RMT. Was kinda hoping I wouldn't need to create more routines of my own, and use it for the sfx as well as the in game tunes (I guess I'm just lazy) ;) . Without delving into the internal code of RMT it doesn't look like it is very easy. (I'll have to e-mail Raster at some point, I think)

Well, I really dig the sound of both of those. They have that nice crunchy synth sound I dig so much. One thing, though, why do people still try to use the same old 'siddish' instruments... can't new sounds be programmed? sounds/instruments we haven't heard before? or is the pokey limited in that regard? or are people doing it solely to prove that the pokey can sound as good as the sid?

Well, I really dig the sound of both of those. They have that nice crunchy synth sound I dig so much. One thing, though, why do people still try to use the same old 'siddish' instruments... can't new sounds be programmed?  

Perhaps you did follow my thread ".... ears bleeding". The whole thread is about new soundings, how to create them, what's not possible and where are the problems with the available trackers.

The response ist extremely low, because most of them don't sound sid'dish. So while the SID-PLAYER is much more noisy, everybody seems to be happy, because it sounds sid'dish.

sounds/instruments we haven't heard before? or is the pokey limited in that regard? or are people doing it solely to prove that the pokey can sound as good as the sid?

Actually, SID is the more flexible music chip. To play SID-Music with POKEY, will reduce POKEY to 2 voices.

Another technical problem is the missing ability of creating sine-waves, which is making pokey always sounding noisy in deeper notes.

On the other hand, SID always sounds a bit "dull" and most SID-tunes are suffering by that.

Optimizing POKEY-programming in a way like G2F does with the graphics, will give multiple more possibilities to pokey music... even in "standard VBI" programming.

Due to the multiple generators and functionality of the generators together and with the 4 sound channels.... with an optimized programming, one could reach a real PAR between SID and POKEY, even if the styles are different.

But, at the end, the only (?) style that is requested, seems to be the SID-style :roll:

Well, I really dig the sound of both of those. They have that nice crunchy synth sound I dig so much. One thing, though, why do people still try to use the same old 'siddish' instruments... can't new sounds be programmed?  

Perhaps you did follow my thread ".... ears bleeding". The whole thread is about new soundings, how to create them, what's not possible and where are the problems with the available trackers.

The response ist extremely low, because most of them don't sound sid'dish. So while the SID-PLAYER is much more noisy, everybody seems to be happy, because it sounds sid'dish.

sounds/instruments we haven't heard before? or is the pokey limited in that regard? or are people doing it solely to prove that the pokey can sound as good as the sid?

Actually, SID is the more flexible music chip. To play SID-Music with POKEY, will reduce POKEY to 2 voices.

Another technical problem is the missing ability of creating sine-waves, which is making pokey always sounding noisy in deeper notes.

On the other hand, SID always sounds a bit "dull" and most SID-tunes are suffering by that.

Optimizing POKEY-programming in a way like G2F does with the graphics, will give multiple more possibilities to pokey music... even in "standard VBI" programming.

Due to the multiple generators and functionality of the generators together and with the 4 sound channels.... with an optimized programming, one could reach a real PAR between SID and POKEY, even if the styles are different.

But, at the end, the only (?) style that is requested, seems to be the SID-style :roll:

SID only produces saw,square and triangle waves. smooth bases are built by low pass filtering. in example by swiety are also emulated lowpass filters.