IGNORED

High Score Club Week 27: Berzerk

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss this game, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

In the far future, you are trapped in an endless maze on a forgotten planet. As you try desperately to escape, you have only your trusty laser gun to defend yourself against the seemingly limitless hordes of robotic minions... but don't stop now, or Evil Otto will be on your tail before you know it, because this week's game is Berzerk!

Game Information
Left Difficulty Not Applicable
Right Difficulty Not Applicable
Game Mode Game 9 - Invincible Otto, Armed Robots, No Bonus Lives
Chosen By Kurushimi

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Sunday, October 10th at midnight (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

In case you don't have the ROM for this game, it can be found at the AtariAge Profile Page for this game. You can also find such things as a typed copy of the manual, reviews, screenshots, and other information there.

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a reply saying so, and I'll add you to the list!

Next week's game will be chosen by Max-T! Please send me a Private Message letting me know which game (and difficulty settings) you've chosen as soon as possible Max-T!

High Scores:

• [*]silverfuji.gif86,290 (keilbaca)
[+10]
[*]bronzefuji.gif13,790 (sku_u) [+8]
[*]13,140 (tin) [+7]
[*]11,190 (Fellow Atari Man) [+6]
[*]9,570 (jedijeff) [+5]
[*]8,610 (Shannon) [+4]
[*]8,160 (kemsted) [+3]
[*]7,020 (Goochman) [+2]
[*]7,010 (khryssun) [+1]
[*]6,600 (bobafett07728)
[*]5,440 (Keir)
[*]5,280 (Robert M)
[*]5,240 (Blackjack)
[*]5,210 (Kurushimi)
[*]5,170 (Malc74)
[*]5,080 (gospeedde)
[*]5,020 (Ze_ro)
[*]4,580 (LarcenTyler)
[*]4,520 (chadtower)
[*]4,390 (bjk7382)
[*]4,320 (KaeruYojimbo)
[*]3,630 (128bytes)
[*]2,160 (Dan Iacovelli)
[*]1,400 (Gamemaster_ca_2003)
  • :
    (Game 9)
    • 836,650 (Ron Corcoran)
      [*]112,290 (Todd Rogers)
      [*]66,890 (Stephen R Riesenberger)

Best Tips:

Score Statistics
  • Average Score: 47,565
    [*]Std. Deviation: 38,003
    [*]Total Score: 1,189,120

Current Standings
[*]the 5th ghost [193]
[*]Jeffy Arensmeyer [167]
[*]keilbaca [110]
[*]sku_u [97]
[*]Ze_ro [94]
[*]jedijeff [75]
[*]Malc74 [63]
[*]Stingray [48]
[*]Chris++ [44]
[*]Keir [43]
[*]Fellow Atari Man [41]
[*]Saldo [39]
[*]Shannon [28]
[*]tin [28]
[*]bobafett07728 [27]
[*]KaeruYojimbo [24]
[*]bjk7382 [24]
[*]khryssun [24]
[*]stayrunner [24]
[*]cuteycat2 [23]
[*]Robert M [23]
[*]NintendoDieScreaming [23]
[*]Goochman [23]
[*]taxman [23]
[*]gospeedde [20]
[*]crsdawg [20]
[*]Numan [19]
[*]homerwannabee [17]
[*]The 8th Passenger [17]
[*]Tsukasa [15]
[*]HermChase [13]
[*]elviticus [13]
[*]NovaXpress [12]
[*]Kurushimi [12]
[*]Christophero Sly [12]
[*]kemsted [10]
[*]Thomas Jentzsch [9]
[*]LarcenTyler [7]
[*]dykesr [7]
[*]mikeftrevino [7]
[*]NE146 [7]
[*]EricDeLee [6]
[*]Paul Slocum [6]
[*]StanJr [5]
[*]video game addict [5]
[*]DeV0 [4]
[*]therealred5 [4]
[*]128bytes [3]
[*]BlackAtarian [3]
[*]Nateo [2]
[*]Sora [2]
[*]FireTiger [2]
[*]chrisbid [1]
[*]vb_master [1]
[*]InanimateCarbonRod [0]
[*]Kepone [0]
[*]shining slade [0]
[*]Saikyo [0]
[*]Dan Iacovelli [0]
[*]Scooterb23 [0]
[*]Gamemaster_ca_2003 [0]
[*]moycon [0]
[*]gamerz [0]
[*]LU8 [0]
[*]fsuinnc [0]
[*]iguana [0]
[*]Luigi301 [0]
[*]davepesc [0]
[*]Albert [0]
[*]pmpddytim [0]
[*]karnov [0]
[*]pitfallaimee [0]
[*]Happy_Dude [0]
[*]Kialan [0]
[*]xmetalhedx [0]
[*]Gateway [0]
[*]Adrian M [0]
[*]intvgene [0]
[*]ScottHuggins [0]
[*]jeepnut24 [0]
[*]figgler [0]
[*]sabeen557 [0]
[*]Old_Atarian [0]
[*]hobbles [0]
[*]liquid_sky [0]
[*]RadioFSoftware [0]
[*]Spirantho [0]
[*]johnnywc [0]
[*]AcidTone [0]
[*]PaulEMoz [0]
[*]chadtower [0]
[*]BigFairy321 [0]
[*]atari_wizard [0]
[*]Xot [0]
[*]lost child [0]
[*]no attack [0]
[*]Bunsen [0]
[*]Big Player [0]

Standings are current as of the beginning of this week,
and do NOT include points from this week's game. If
you think there has been a mistake in any of the
scoring, please contact me.

Member List
Max-T, adams_ale, gamerz, Christophero Sly, Trooper, Nateo, homerwannabee, lost child, Happy_Dude, video game addict, Spirantho, bobafett07728, mikeftrevino, Paul Slocum, fsuinnc, Gamemaster_ca_2003, Robert M, DeV0, Gateway, Mendon, Fretwobbler, PaulEMoz, killersquirel, shining slade, chadtower, gospeedde, stayrunner, Big Player, Swingtown, Chris++, hotpants, hobbles, taxman, Ze_ro, maibock, moycon, somePUNK, Saldo, Stingray, Kepone, xmetalhedx, chrisbid, Kialan, Jeffy Arensmeyer, Keir, ToddRogers, Numan, iguana, LU8, jeepnut24, Albert, Tsukasa, Adrian M, dykesr, EricDeLee, Thomas Jentzsch, The 8th Passenger, the 5th ghost, Bunsen, atari_wizard, jedijeff, davepesc, maximebeauvais, buzzguy, bjk7382, khryssun, HermChase, wiz21mx, karnov, Goochman, NE146, keilbaca, vb_master, Sora, Malc74, sabeen557, 128bytes, Fellow Atari Man, liquid_sky, InanimateCarbonRod, Krazy_kamino, pmpddytim, cuteycat2, kemsted, Xot, Scooterb23, elviticus, Dan Iacovelli, LarcenTyler, RadioFSoftware, sku_u, no attack, Kurushimi, Blackjack, fedechab

Scoring Points in BerzerkYou get 50 points for every robot you shoot.
[*]If you shoot all the robots in a room, you gain a bonus of 10 points for each of them
  • - Unknown, let us know if you can do it!

Hints and Tips
As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well no problem, because AtariAge has a typed copy of the manual available online right over here.

What's that? You're too damn lazy to click that link? Well, then here are the tips that it provides:
  • Since the robots' shots cannot penetrate the maze walls, use this to your advantage. Hide behind walls to dodge laser fire, then leap out when it is safe to aim and shoot at robots.
    [*]Position robot(s) between your man and Evil Otto. This strategy should cause Evil Otto to destroy the robot(s) first (thereby scoring points for you) and you will have more time to escape.
    [*]Evil Otto moves more slowly when there are robots on the screen. But once all the robots are gone, the evil fellow bounds toward you with amazing speed! Remember this so you can position your man near an exit as you finish off the robots, then make a swift escape.
    [*]Keep your finger on the fire button as you move from one maze to another. It takes the robots a few seconds to start their attack and you can often blindly zap them when you enter shooting.
    [*]Since robots are programmed to follow you, you can influence them by your movement, causing them to shoot at and collide with each other or run into walls.
    [*]Evil Otto always enters where the man enters. Try to get away from this danger zone and near an exit as soon as it is safe.
    [*]Keep your distance from robot gangs because you can cover yourself in only one direction at a time. When you find yourself surrounded by a gang, shoot your way out and put some space between you and them. It's much easier to see and avoid distant robot fire than close range fire.
    [*]When robots shoot on the vertical it is from the left side. You can position your man above or below them on the right side where they can't hit you, but you can blast them.
    [*]Unlike you robots cannot shoot on the diagonal. If you stand diagonally to one you will be out of its line of fire while it will be vilnerable to your laser shot.
    [*]There is a special horizontal laser beam wraparound feature that will help you destroy robots. In mazes that have a right and left exit, you can stand just inside the right exit and shoot through it. Your laser beams will then "wrap around" the screen and reenter on the left side through that opening. Any robots standing in your line of fire will be struck.

Good luck everyone!

--Zero

(the manual)
Some tips:

* No matter how many or how few robots are present in a level, only one of them at a time can fire. So keep that in mind while going through a level in regards to what targets to take out as you go along that won't be shooting at you.

* Move quickly, since you're on a timer as for the next time Otto will show up, but move carefully.

* Remember which exit you went through and where you will end up in the next maze (i. e. opposite from where you exited from), since it won't be long at all before the robots start shooting.

* If you are in the position where you can't get the last robot in a maze (i. e. Otto is on the loose), hang out for as long as possible to see if it will walk into a wall, thereby getting you the bonus for destroying all the robots in the level.

(Fellow Atari Man)
"The BOX Strat" is, Where ever you start from you do a series of movements like such: Down-Exit, Left-Exit , Up exit, Right Exit. So you are using this Square or "BOX" series or movements through the whole game. Never mind shooting ALL the robots becuase your score will increase as you perform. To take chances by shooting all the robots for a measly 50-70 bonus points or what ever point values are is risky if you are in a game where OTTO cant die and OR you get NO extra men.So my logic is shoot, evade, exit , shoot, evade, exit. This may seem redundant but your score will eventually be where you want it to be anyways it just takes a little longer. (Todd Rogers)
Evil Otto always materializes in the same spot you started in each room, so try to move away from that spot as soon as possible to get a good head start on him. (LarcenTyler)
To minimize the chance that you will begin a level very close to a robot, you should exit the left or bottom side of the screen as much as possible. The next best exit direction is right, the worst is up. Never leave out the top of a screen if you can avoid it. (Robert M)
If you are moving horizontally from one exit to the other, Evil Otto will never be able to catch up with you. (ed: he moves horizontally at the same speed you do, vertical movement is another matter entirely!) (Fellow Atari Man)
I've found that mastering the "diagonal shot" is very important, as you can blast robots without necesarily being in their line of site. Also, as stated earlier, get away from your "entrance" as soon as possioble. I've hung out there blasting robots only to be killed by Otto instantly. (bobafett07728)

Too bad the VCS version's such a stinker compared to every other version of this game.  :sad:

No, the Vectrex version is by far the worst. And they did a really good job with only 4K, if you ask me.

Well, this is a pretty decent challenge, with no extra men and all...I'll be happy just to hit 5,000!

Some tips:

* No matter how many or how few robots are present in a level, only one of them at a time can fire. So keep that in mind while going through a level in regards to what targets to take out as you go along that won't be shooting at you.

* Move quickly, since you're on a timer as for the next time Otto will show up, but move carefully.

* Remember which exit you went through and where you will end up in the next maze (i. e. opposite from where you exited from), since it won't be long at all before the robots start shooting.

* If you are in the position where you can't get the last robot in a maze (i. e. Otto is on the loose), hang out for as long as possible to see if it will walk into a wall, thereby getting you the bonus for destroying all the robots in the level.

post-3650-1096912396_thumb.jpg

My first submission is 3,630 .

One of my all time favorites -- I'm getting used to using game 9 instead of my usual game 6. With no extra lives I'm learning that it's more important to get out of each level alive than to shoot every single robot, and to try to do as much damage as possible while a bullet is flying in the air, but not right at me (like other people have said, only one robot bullet can be fired at you at a time).

Great choice!

One of my all time favorites -- I'm getting used to using game 9 instead of my usual game 6.

Yeah, this is pretty much the closest version to the arcade, as far as this port goes, and I've pretty much equaled my arcade high score of 7,000.

Now, making it to my Vectrex (too easy) Berzerk high score of over 10,000 would be a bit of a challenge though.

Now I can die a happy humanoid (which I already have repeatedly!). :D

Frenzy... now there's a game I can enjoy!

I hear ya bud...I consider myself lucky to have ever played that, I'm pretty sure I only saw that at one arcade ever. They really turned up the heat with that sequel! If you're trapped with no exit, at times you can make your own! Plus the "theme" levels were neat, like the power base and the Momma Otto...eeeeek :skull:

post-3650-1097041387_thumb.jpg

I've been away from this for some time now, but I'm going to try to get involved again. Hopefully I'll be able to play every now and then.

Here is my first submission for Berzerk:

Nothing too spectacular. . . I hope to improve as the week goes on.

I've found that mastering the "diagonal shot" is very important, as you can blast robots without necesarily being in their line of site. Also, as stated earlier, get away from your "entrance" as soon as possioble. I've hung out there blasting robots only to be killed by Otto instantly. :x

I'm glad to see this is still active!!!! :D :D