IGNORED

Who wants to help build the elusive PAL rarity list then?

Spirantho

I have a plan....

After The Great Hard Disk Crash of 2004 (in which I lost my PAL database work - D'oh!) I'm rebuilding my PAL database programs... except this time I'm making them publically accessible (luckily I had a backup of the PHP code I was using)!

What I want to know is - who here is willing to help preliminary work on the list? You don't need anything except a web browser and a reasonable knowledge of PAL carts and their rarities.

I want to keep the list open only to certain people until we reach a critical mass, then we can open the list up to the public. I figure if we can make it a truly public list then we can make a really good list of what exists in PAL form, as we can all give input from anywhere in the world - it's just too big a job for one person! I also want to put up piccies of the carts, but they won't be anything like the quality of the AA pics - I have very little bandwidth!

N.B. - this is not just a rarity list! I've never seen a complete list of PAL carts anywhere so it could be useful even to people who have no interest in a rarity guide.

Please sign below if you're interested! Ta!

Are you going to reference the DP Guide? I know Joe has a ton of carts listed there. I assume some of the European collectors will know how accurate his guide is. I remember having a cart or two that was not on his list. I can check it when I get home, or possibly over the weekend and post it.

Phil

OK, once I've got a satisfactory system up and running (won't be long) I'll PM the people who are interested.. then we can get started. :)

Oh, Sharopolis - a nice little modded Vader found its way to the post office on Saturday so you should receive it pretty soon. :)

If anyone else still wants to help let me know!

Just out of curiosity, how are you going to group the carts?

Just noticed this question...

They will be grouped by manufacturer, then label type eventually. For now, though, I'm just doing everything alphabetically, as it'll take me a while to get my software up to a really satisfactory level.

I class different label designs as a large difference - for instance, a 'Taiwan Cooper' label is different to a V-handle pirate which is different to a Zellers-style etc.etc.

Essentially they'll be grouped in the same way as the AA database - i.e. whatever way you like!

It's Apoptygma Berzerk from Norway with Stephan Groth as the main man behind the project. In the early nineties ApB was really dark industrial, nowadays it's far more commercial and trancy music. I also really like the old logo based on the Pax Christi sign. I have this logo as a tattoo on my arm.

Topic>

I'll have a look at the database this evening. I saw there isn't much in there yet, so I can start adding a few commons to see how it works. Great concept!

I'll have a look at the database this evening. I saw there isn't much in there yet, so I can start adding a few commons to see how it works. Great concept!

That's right - it takes time to build up a list of commons. :)

As long as we all work together well on this there won't be a problem and we should be able to get something nice up... then when it's got a useful amount of info in it I'll make a read-only version for the masses. :)

I imagine for a while the database will consist of just the contributers' collections plus a few they've seen on eBay, then over time we can plug the more weird ones in that appear on eBay infrequently (like that Modern Knight that was put up over the weekend - not seen that for a while)..

Hi threre!

It's Apoptygma Berzerk from Norway with Stephan Groth as the main man behind the project. In the early nineties ApB was really dark industrial, nowadays it's far more commercial and trancy music. I also really like the old logo based on the Pax Christi sign. I have this logo as a tattoo on my arm.

Topic>

Wow, cool. Does the tattoo say "dead man moving" as well? :)

I'm certainly more into the old darker stuff, filing most of the new material under "Aerobic Techno" :lolblue: Still, some killer tracks are even on the latest album (...ok amp, let me out... ...rollergirl...). Also there's always the odd C64-SID version of a song on a B-Side or as hidden bonus track, so both the cyber and goth the in me are pleased ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

Ok! I'm now going over my basic carts, adding quantity etc. Heh, I doubt some fives are really fives as I noticed I have quite a few of those.

Good - that's the benefit of having multinational people contributing!

It'll start off woefully inaccurate (especially as most of them I've put down as 3's!) but over time it should get better!

Some suggestions:

- The function to search or add publishers doesn't work. Is this a flaw or still work in progress?

- Add "Activision / Special"

- Add "Technovision / Picture"

- Other publishers from http://www.gamereset.de/gamereset_.htm

Otherwise, thumbs up on the work already done! If it were in ASP I'd already have some code ready because I made searchable databases etc in ASP for my final internship and I still have all the code. I should get more into php, but I don't even seem to find the time for it.

Oh and my tattoo doesn't say Dead Man Moving, I wanted to keep it a bit neutral so it only is what my avatar shows. This is how it looks and now, those are not wires from my head, I'm sitting in front of a powerplug of a lamp (the white thing) and those wires stuck out :P I'm not *that* cyber.

Topic>

Heh, this is fun, been adding my carts merrily. I think I've got most of mine on there now, I've certainly put up the ones that wern't listed. I've no real idea about rarities, so I've just put the Atari age database ones on where possible, or played safe with a low mark.

Cheers for the Vader Spiro! I think it came today, just a post office card that I havent had chance to pick up, but Im not expecting anything else.

Yeah - so far so good - my HTML/CGI/PHP coding skills are a little rusty but it all seems to be holding together so far!

When we've finished adding on our own collections we can go trawling on eBay... that way we get the broadest cross-section available.

No-one's uploaded any photos yet, though, so if you want something to do and have a bit of time...! :)

And yes, that should be the Vader - let me know how you get on with it (it modded quite nicely!)

Viva PAL! :)