IGNORED

Who wants to help build the elusive PAL rarity list then?

Spirantho

Added pics for the 3 Technovision carts, I kept the width at 200 pixels. They look ok to me. I added the end labels, I think they should be added (if possible) as often the P on the end labels is the only difference from Atari manufactured NTSC counterparts. Just a thought. Anyhow, my small and humble collection is already included.

PS. Should there be made a difference between Spectravision and Spectravideo? I have PAL carts of both and since they are the same company... Oh and I noticed that the label "Activison / Picture" should be "Activision / Picture".

I added the end labels, I think they should be added (if possible) as often the P on the end labels is the only difference from Atari manufactured NTSC counterparts. Just a thought.

Makes sense.

I'm going to have two pictures for each cart, and if I get enough bandwidth then we can put box and instructions on too (the instructions are sometimes quite different from US releases).

Oh, the search by label works now. :)

Some useless facts:

* Downloading the entire table takes over 2MB!! Don't do this. :)

* We have entered 63 labels variants (some of which were duplicated and got deleted, though)

* We have entered 522 carts (again some have been deleted, so approx 450 carts currently)

* Only 5 pictures! Must work on this..! (Thanks Whisper!)

* Only one rarity 10 so far (Pengo black picture label)

* No original release 9s so far (I put Springer down as there's no way it's a 9. :) ). I do have the PAL AtariAge Holiday Cart as a 9 though. :)

Keep up the good work, fellas...

Something we need to do....

There are so many small variations of pirate carts that we need to standardise and name them. For instance, the Zellers style carts which have a tall thin white font are different to the cart which look the same except use a short fat white font on the end label.

Once we have photos this should be easier though!

Anyone have suggestions on the interface? Anything they'd like to see added?

PS. Should there be made a difference between Spectravision and Spectravideo? I have PAL carts of both and since they are the same company... Oh and I noticed that the label "Activison / Picture" should be "Activision / Picture".

If there are PAL variants that are Spectravision and not Spectravideo, definitely. What about Xonox label carts that have the NTSC style labels, but are PAL? Do you guys think those are more rare then the standard Dual TV style labels on most PAL Xonox?

If there are PAL variants that are Spectravision and not Spectravideo, definitely.  What about Xonox label carts that have the NTSC style labels, but are PAL?  Do you guys think those are more rare then the standard Dual TV style labels on most PAL Xonox?

I agree - they should count as different publishers, as what is written on the label is all we normally have to go by anyway - we have to be consistent.

As for the Xonox - I'd list them as different label types I think, as they're a major variation.

Oh, it's ActivisIon now. :)

I just added my first entry...woohoo! Of course, it doesn't come without questions though. I added F18 VS Aliens and manufacture Action Hi-Tech. It could have been added as Pirate / Zellers. The way this seems to be handled on AA is that if you have a cartridge without a manufacturer, then it gets added as "Unknown" manufacturer. Once a boxed version is found, then the game manufacturer can be changed from unknown, since the manufacturer is confirmed. That has been done with several "Zellers style" NTSC titles that never had been found in a Zellers box (like Scuba Diver). Since the F18 VS Aliens I own is in the Action Hi-Tech box, it makes sense to list it by that manufacturer. Is that OK?

It looks like there is a limit to the number of characters for the game title. Some of the HES titles I entered were truncated:

Hot Action Pak (Ghostbuster/Tennis/Plaque Attack & River Raid)

Mega Fun Pak (Pac-Man/Planet Patrol/Skeet Shoot/Battles of Gorf)

Rad Action Pak (Kung-Fu Master/Frostbite/Freeway & Chopper Command)

Smash Hit Pak (Frogger/Stampede/Seaquest/Boxing/Skiing)

Sports Action Pak (Enduro/Ice Hockey/Fishing Derby/Dragster)

Super Action Pak (Pitfall/Grand Prix/Laser Blast/Barnstorming)

Super Hit Pak (River Raid/Grand Prix/Fishing Derby/Sky Jinks/Checkers)

to: 

Hot Action Pak (Ghostbuster/Tennis/Plaque Attack &

Mega Fun Pak (Pac-Man/Planet Patrol/Skeet Shoot/Ba

Rad Action Pak (Kung-Fu Master/Frostbite/Freeway &

Smash Hit Pak (Frogger/Stampede/Seaquest/Boxing/Sk

Sports Action Pak (Enduro/Ice Hockey/Fishing Derby

Super Action Pak (Pitfall/Grand Prix/Laser Blast/B

Super Hit Pak (River Raid/Grand Prix/Fishing Derby

Some of these paks included two cartridges. For example, Rad Action Pak had Kung-Fu Master/Frostbite/Freeway on one cartridge and included Chopper Command on a second cartridge. Maybe the list of titles included in the Pak is not needed in the game title.

We're now on id 673, so I'd imagine we have about 640 different carts in now - not bad going!

However, there are a few I'm not so sure about - can the person who put these in confirm they exist?

1) Track and Field

If this is really PAL it should be a 10! I've never seen one nor heard of one - every source I've seen has it as NTSC only.

2) River Patrol

I've not seen this one either. It stands to reason that it should exist, as Tigervision games are more common PAL, but I've never heard of a confirmed PAL one.

If they're not confirmed to exist can the person who put them in delete them please? Ta!

Remember only confirmed PAL carts must go into the database, guys - otherwise it'll water down the list with rumours etc.

It's going well, though.. keep it up! :)

Since the F18 VS Aliens I own is in the Action Hi-Tech box, it makes sense to list it by that manufacturer.  Is that OK?

Yup - that's fine. Where we know the manufacturer by all means put it down. The true pirate ones are truly anonymous.

You'll notice there's a Bit Corp. "Anonymous Picture Label" I put in too, which looks exactly like a normal BC game but without the Bit Corp text. I still suspect it's Bit Corp, though!

i deleted the 2 entries, Track & Field and River Patrol for now as I`m pretty sure that there has been a PAL release of both. I`m gonna check Track & Field against the emulator roms today to see what`s the deal with it. I don`t own River Patrol but I have it mentioned in a german game magazine quit a few times - but no confirmation yet.

will keep you posted about that.

i also cleaned out the database yesterday evening as there were a few ghost-entries like Bump, Space,... (you get the idea).

on a sidenote it`s sad that THE Pal collector (Marko) works officially for the DPG - his input would be the best thing that can happen to the database.

How do you want to categorize HES releases of games by Activision, Imagic, Epyx, etc.? They could either be:

HES/Activision or Activision/HES

The four games by Absolute are currently grouped as HES/text, even though Pete Rose and Tomcat are full color picture labels. But there are also three of those listed as Absolute/text. I know of four text label styles for the Absolute titles available in Europe: Soft cart Salu, Activision cartridge/white text/Dist by Salu, Activision cartridge/white text/Absolute copyright, Activision cartridge/black text with barcode. Eventually, pictures will make things clearer.

The same question is there for the Salu releases of Activision games. I tend to think of all the soft shell carts with no end label as Salu releases, no matter what the label says (Activision, Epyx, Absolute). Ghostbusters II comes in a soft Salu cartridge but has an Activision copyright on the label.

soft cartridge Salu style 1:

http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?Sof...areLabelID=2066

Activision cartridge/white text Salu style 2:

http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?Sof...areLabelID=2022

Activision cartridge/white text "Activision Presents":

http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?Sof...areLabelID=2278

Activision cartridge/black text barcode:

http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?Sof...areLabelID=1050

The most important thing is consistency - therefore I think we should use whatever is most intuitive.

I believe we should whatever is written on the label, as that seems simplest. If other people disagree, we can have a vote on it, but for myself I treat anything that says "H.E.S." on it as a H.E.S. release, even though it may be an Activision game.

Apart from anything else, other users of the database may not know to look under Activision for a cart that has HES written on it!

That's my $0.02!

Hi,

I was about to add my carts, but i noticed that (since most of my collection is still in Holland) i don't have much information about label variations (i don't care about that). How do you suggest i put those in the database?

Example, i have a 3D tic tac toe cart, but no idea if it's text or picture :ponder:

Cheers,

Raymond

I was about to add my carts, but i noticed that (since most of my collection is still in Holland) i don't have much information about label variations (i don't care about that). How do you suggest i put those in the database?

Example, i have a 3D tic tac toe cart, but no idea if it's text or picture

In that case don't update the database till we know - we can only put in carts that are confirmed to exist otherwise it won't be a reliable list of what exists (the other function of the list, as well as rarities!)

hmm i guess you don't keep track on who put which carts in the database? The problem is now that if i put some carts in now and do the rest later i might not know exactly which carts i already did put in...

It might be an idea to make some login system so you can always track carts to people. Maybe now it's not a problem, but imagine in 2 years (after lots of mutations to everyone's collection) no-one is going to know for sure if that quantity field is still correct... (well actually i know. It's *not* going to be correct)

Cheers,

Raymond

hmm i guess you don't keep track on who put which carts in the database? The problem is now that if i put some carts in now and do the rest later i might not know exactly which carts i already did put in...

Yup, that's right...

It might be an idea to make some login system so you can always track carts to people. Maybe now it's not a problem, but imagine in 2 years (after lots of mutations to everyone's collection) no-one is going to know for sure if that quantity field is still correct...  (well actually i know. It's *not* going to be correct)

A login system would be useful and I may yet add it. At the moment, though, it's not important, and the idea behind this database is to get all of you collaborators to make a list, at which point we freeze and make it maintainable by just a few of us (or maybe just the original guys). Eventually I'm hoping to merge the database in with the rather fine AtariMania site, and also the AA site of course, if we can.

What we're building here isn't a rarity list, yet - it's the data for the rarity list. When that's reached a certain point, I'll open up the data for people to view.

spirantho,

i think the earlier we implement a user-based login the better it will be for tracking games and entries. you could simply put another datafield at the end of each entry which says "spi, buf" if we two own the game. i would be willing to go through all my entries again to add my nick.