IGNORED

HSC1 R25: Dig Dug

Goochman

Add me to this club! I highly enjoy this game and I've started to really get the hang of it. It took a couple of tries to get the score below and I played on the default settings using my 800XL hooked to a C64 monitor.  

Sorry, but as you might have recognized it alright... you are using the different version... not the version that is belonging to this competition.

Well, that exe won't run on my real XL. I did some minor surgery on it and now it does, as long as I run it with the Translator disk. It was doing some PORTB writes, I NOPed them. It must still be doing some illegal jumps though, since it still won't work without the translator.

BTW: I couldn't get it to work with the MaxFlash "translator" cartridge, I wonder if it is doing some writes to the cartridge space too? There's a section that does something like this:

LDX #0

STA D000,X

STA D400,X

STA D200,X

STA D300,X <-portB

INX

BNE backupthere

digdug.zip

47310 - initial attempt

Ill be away a few days so no score updates most of this week - we've got 2 weeks to play this one :)

Cool.... That will make it easier for me on my 4 day or 6 day in a row work weeks.

I usually have enough time, but sometimes family matters interfere.

Well, that exe won't run on my real XL.  I did some minor surgery on it and now it does, as long as I run it with the Translator disk.  It was doing some PORTB writes, I NOPed them.  It must still be doing some illegal jumps though, since it still won't work without the translator.

BTW: I couldn't get it to work with the MaxFlash "translator" cartridge, I wonder if it is doing some writes to the cartridge space too?  There's a section that does something like this:

LDX #0

STA D000,X

STA D400,X

STA D200,X

STA D300,X <-portB

INX

BNE backupthere

Yep definitely a cartridge check (I believe) anything that loads 0's into an address area like that is usually to foil copying attempts. Oddly enough it ends up screwing with the PortB like you said.

Its all about the bonus - dont worry about dropping rocks on the bad guys cause if you wait too long they will bury you.

I usually go after the single enemies and pump them up on the way to a rock - wait for the early movers to come over and drop - find another rock to drop (enemy or not) and grab the bonus - then 'pump dem up' to finish :)