IGNORED

Channel F

~llama

I'm wondering if it's even harder to work with than the 2600.

You know, with all the Infogrames fuss going on we might be looking at the future of homebrewing. To bring back the Channel F would be the height of insanity and I support that.

Me too, but... looking at the sample source for Lights Out i would say that it's pretty insane (unsane?) to even consider it... plus, think about the toolset (or the lack thereof)

Even more insane of an idea: an Atari 3200 emulator and homebrew development suite... how much do we know about the 3200?

I'm not really considering programming either of these (yet) but... perhaps its possible?

Me too, but... looking at the sample source for Lights Out i would say that it's pretty insane (unsane?) to even consider it... plus, think about the toolset (or the lack thereof)

It wouldn't be too hard to get a basic development system together for such a simple system.

Even more insane of an idea: an Atari 3200 emulator and homebrew development suite... how much do we know about the 3200?

I've wondered this myself. How much of the project survived?

-Bry

It wouldn't be too hard to get a basic development system together for such a simple system.

Well... would you like to start working on it? together, i mean, not you singularly... we could start working on an Assembler and maybe a Disassembler, an SDK for the Channel F...

Al, got any bright yellow Channel F cartridge shells? :twisted:

I'm sure there have to be stacks of programmers documents somewhere because they had demos or two games or something programmed for it and then decided it was too hard... so there must be something in somebody's Atari papers about the 3200... this would probably be right up Curt Vendel's alley.

Well... would you like to start working on it? together, i mean, not you singularly... we could start working on an Assembler and maybe a Disassembler, an SDK for the Channel F...

Al, got any bright yellow Channel F cartridge shells? :twisted:

I'm sure there have to be stacks of programmers documents somewhere because they had demos or two games or something programmed for it and then decided it was too hard... so there must be something in somebody's Atari papers about the 3200... this would probably be right up Curt Vendel's alley.

Yeah, I would really like to know more about how it worked and what it could do.

-Bry

How many people own a Channel F for that matter? I don't even see one on Ebay. It might have to live on in emulation for the REAL hardcore classic gamers. It is the first programmable system ever made, after all, and it's a sure bet that we'll never see a Jakks Fairchild stick sold at WalMart.

How many people own a Channel F for that matter? I don't even see one on Ebay. It might have to live on in emulation for the REAL hardcore classic gamers. It is the first programmable system ever made, after all, and it's a sure bet that we'll never see a Jakks Fairchild stick sold at WalMart.

Well... with the lack of documentation currently available about the Channel F, is it even worth considering?

And where is all the bloody 3200 documentation!

I think it'd be cool to start a mailing list for one of these systems, whichever one is the better of the two to homebrew for, and embark on a Voyage of Discovery writing new games for them... anybody with me? :D

It's more like, how many people have even seen an Channel F. I saw one at PC4 and that's it. It was too expensive for me to even consider it, given its condition.

Hi there!

It's more like, how many people have even seen an Channel F.  I saw one at PC4 and that's it.  It was too expensive for me to even consider it, given its condition.

Hm... is it the same as the "SABA" videogame that was sold in Europe? I've seen one on a flea market recently then...

Greetings,

Manuel

I have a complete collection, carts 1 thru 26, plus SABA 20 (chess) and Democart 1.

I have always liked Dodge-it and Video Wizball for decent play value. I also liked playing Maze with the different variations, Sonar Search, and believe it or not, Drag Race as well since it requires some pretty nifty stick-shifting to get a good score! :P

Granted the graphics are very basic, but since this was my first system, it holds sentimental value to me.

post-41-1098204565_thumb.jpg

If we get a development system, I'll finally give homebrewing a go.

Here's a place to start that has info on the F8 processor:

http://www.nyx.net/~lturner/public_html/Fa...irchild_F8.html

Since MESS supports the Channel F, the MESS souce is probably a good place to look for system details. I haven't located an F8 assembler, though.

-Bry

Oh yeah, there's also the Videobrain computer that's based on the F8.  

http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/vidbrain/  

Unlike the Channel F, I've actually played with one of these.  

I wrote up a section for the VideoBrain for a guide that was never used (cartirdge and hardware listing). I could post it if people were interested.

Tempest